'Premium' Diesel and Millers

cyphnar

Feb 19, 2009
Swindon, Wiltshire
Heys,

I should be getting my new diesel really soon. I've only driven diesels since passing my test and never used either premium diesels or any additives. By premium i mean thins like optimax or Vpower .

I was wondering if 'std' diesel + millers (or similar) is the same as using a premium diesel, or if it's worth using a premium diesel and Millers??

Also might be worth mentioning that at the moment it's a rare occasion if I fill my car up, I tend to just stick £10/£20 in.

And, before anyone types "use the search" I did and found nothing that really answered my specific question ;) i found this and it's interesting but I'd be interested in your opinions on the best mix etc.

Cheers,
-Cyph

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I personally stay away from non premium diesel fuel regardless of whether I was using millers or not. Premium Fuel just makes sense, you got more power per drop of diesel and as a result economy is better when driving normally.

Stick with VPower or BP Ultimate.

takeoff

i wouldnt waste your money on millers additives or any other additives. I remember reading the oil bible and all the additives you need are in that. I used to use additives in my unleaded cars and doesnt make a difference. As for using premium fuel such as vpower totally upto you. Again i think it doesnt matter.
fuel contains additives

And if you really want to protect your engine then change the oil regularly.
Change your oil,fuel filters,every 4 months and you can't go wrong.

my previous car did 189k before i sold it and that came about by doing the above, not by using millers.

Last edited by a moderator:

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
i've used millers for 97k miles on my tdi 130 ibiza and find with normal asda diesel its just as good if not better than v power or bp ultimate . Economy and power seem better and smoke is reduced. bp ultimate is slightly better than v power in my car by the way.:):)

dfullb

Apr 7, 2009
Shell Standard diesel & Millers for me, Millers definately gives it a bit more edge ..

Tried V Power diesel & the other premium brands in various other Manufacturers High powered diesel cars & found that some actually ran worse on V Power....

As for additives not making any difference in petrols :blink: Bumpkin, You should see how much more power can be extracted more safely form a Turbo car during mapping running with Fuch's Proboost or similar .... definately aids combustion ..

Dean

happylad

old boy racer
Oct 22, 2008
benfleet essex
Hiya I have been using millers for the past 1000 miles and have noticed a marked improvement in engine efficiency. Seems to smoke less as well. It is cheaper than premium diesel and you measure how much you need. It is all down to choice though as premium fuels may or may not be better!!!!

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Cheap Diesel + Millers for me.

Usually stick in £20, money's better in my bank than BP/Shell/Morrisons plus less weight! lol.

Ran whatever diesel I came across for ages, then came on here and started using premium stuff. It made a slight performance difference, but had to concentrate to notice. Usually got identical milage per £ spent though.

Though Millers would be a waste of money to be honest. Until I tried it.

So much difference, it's quite surreal.

I've recommended it to a couple of mates ut neither tried i yet.

Incidentally my Leon's done over 120k miles so at first thought maybe it's just cleaned **** out so stopped using it, noticed the difference so got back onto it.

All I'd say is, give it a go, might work for you, might not. Only way to know is to try.

takeoff

I wouldn't bother with any fancy diesel. A diesel engine cannot tell the difference between types of fuel, that's what they're designed for - originally to run on peanut oil.

They have no lambda sensor so always inject the same amount every time (depending on load, temp etc etc). It's nothing like putting in higher octane fuel etc in a petrol which CAN sense the quality of the fuel through knock sensors and exhaust gas sampling when in closed loop.

High quality diesel fuels do tend to contain more detergent additives though and lower levels of sulphur which are beneficial but you wont notice these +'s after just a couple of tanks.

Turning down the EGR is a better option as it increases combustion temps which helps to burn off carbon deposits and improve combustion efficiency meaning more of the fuel injected is burnt rather than spat out of the exhaust.

EDIT: One other benefit that higher quality fuels may have in terms of performance is a higher cetane rating which marks the fuels ability to burn under compression. The higher the rating, the lower the flashpoint and the more readily the fuel will ignite. Handy for high revving diesel engines.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I use Shell standard and Millers. I think using V Power and millers would be a waste of time. Both products I think will have the same basic formula.

Personally I think that Millers in a crude sense will transform a standard diesel product into a premium diesel product.

And as for the fact that premium fuel products are a waste of time, why would manufacturers recommend the use of them?

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
but if premium was that good, car/envoironment/cost per mpg etc, why do they still produce normal/basic? and generally most people will go with basic over premium as the cost difference can be a bit silly and as most people won't understand the diff or why to use they won't. have seen 10p diff and that i can't justify

cyphnar

Feb 19, 2009
Swindon, Wiltshire
So it seems a fairly popular view that regular diesel + millers = premium (ish..) and that realistically there's probably no noticeable gains to be had from using millers and premium.

Anyone have any conflicting ideas or experiences to the above?

-Cyph

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
cheap diesel + millers= good. Dont bump up greedy oil companies profits any more by buying v power ect used it and its a waste of money!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Morrisons diesel and Millers gives me more mpg than any other combination of diesel / additives, with less smoke, better smoother power delivery, and it even washes the dishes when I get home. :D

Edit: having said that, Morrisons gets their diesel from the same refinery as nearly every other filling station near me, just that they charge less for it.

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Edit: having said that, Morrisons gets their diesel from the same refinery as nearly every other filling station near me, just that they charge less for it.

Most local petrol stations will get their fuel from the same refinary, but will add different additives depending on their customer. Some supermarkets buy up the leftovers of fuel and sell that, so you could get shell fuel from tescos ect.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
I know, it's just that my local refinery produces crap fuel. It's an issue I have to deal with every working day so I know all about fuel. I have certain customers who I have to visit every time they have a delivery and dose their tank with additive. If I'm lucky I can convince them to use a supplier who pulls fuel from Immingham rather than Seal Sands, and then they get a much better product.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I know the Cupra R lads (and lasses) appreciate premium fuels, but I think that's probably because it's actually more of a real performance hatch.

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
I know, it's just that my local refinery produces crap fuel. It's an issue I have to deal with every working day so I know all about fuel. I have certain customers who I have to visit every time they have a delivery and dose their tank with additive. If I'm lucky I can convince them to use a supplier who pulls fuel from Immingham rather than Seal Sands, and then they get a much better product.

Why is there such a difference in the quality of fuels?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.