Glow plugs 150PD

johntheboy

Mar 25, 2006
Teesside - North East
Well that settles it...... bloody things going to get driven into a hedge and left there..... the bloody glowplug is just in it's hole spinning and not un-threading. Car still drives fine but how im going to get that out without taking the head off is a mystery. Try to tackle a molehill and end up scaling a bloody mountain.

black04ctdi

I don't think mine cleared when I started the car after fitting the plug. I had the laptop in the car anyway as I wanted to double check which plug was at fault, so clearing the code only took seconds.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
you will need a deep driver socket to get the glow plugs out, thay are easy to spot when you take the engine cover off, they are on the front of the engine

just to add you will have a grey foam covering the bridge / harness and glowplugs , you simply pull this up (after engine cover has been removed ) to see where , this foam sits ontop of the glow plugs

im also intreagued to know of the other plugs that sit on the PD pump are they ever needed to be replaced not sure exactly what they do

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
I've got a glow plug fault come up on my car. I had the code read by a friend of the family who works for the RAC at the weekend and it was one of the glow plugs (can't remember which) electrical fault. He cleared the fault code but it has come back on now, so I'm going to change all 4 glow plugs myself I think.

Now the question I have is can I clear the fault code / warning light myself after I've changed the plugs? I don't have VAG-COM and the person who cleared it the first time lives 150 miles away :blink:

I could get hold of the trial version of VAG-COM and a cheapo eBay cable and use a mates laptop, but will the trial version of VAG-COM let me clear the faults?

Any help is much appreciated :) (or anyone in the Teesside area who has VAG-COM and wants to earn themselves a tenner ;) )

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
I've got a glow plug fault come up on my car. I had the code read by a friend of the family who works for the RAC at the weekend and it was one of the glow plugs (can't remember which) electrical fault. He cleared the fault code but it has come back on now, so I'm going to change all 4 glow plugs myself I think.

Now the question I have is can I clear the fault code / warning light myself after I've changed the plugs? I don't have VAG-COM and the person who cleared it the first time lives 150 miles away :blink:

I could get hold of the trial version of VAG-COM and a cheapo eBay cable and use a mates laptop, but will the trial version of VAG-COM let me clear the faults?

Any help is much appreciated :) (or anyone in the Teesside area who has VAG-COM and wants to earn themselves a tenner ;) )

Yep, that'll be okay for clearing faults. But be careful where you buy your cheapo cable from. Some are of dubious quality and ship from China. I suggest this one from Gendan as they're also genuine VCDS dealers in this country. You can get the cables cheaper, but like I said they may not work and after sales support will be abysmal.

benhampshire

Jun 29, 2008
Barnoldswick
I too have the same issue with my glow plugs... used some elctrical contact cleaner which has cured all but cylinder 4.

Resetting the code you could always disconenct the battery for 20mins.

Just remember to have your radio code to hand and set your clock back!

cheers

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
Yep, that'll be okay for clearing faults. But be careful where you buy your cheapo cable from. Some are of dubious quality and ship from China. I suggest this one from Gendan as they're also genuine VCDS dealers in this country. You can get the cables cheaper, but like I said they may not work and after sales support will be abysmal.

Nice one thanks for the info Viking, I will buy the proper cable then seeing as it's only £20, I was expecting it to be a lot more than that!

The only thing that's confusing me is that the cable info says "works with most Skoda and Seat models to 2003 with the 16-pin diagnostic socket". My car is a 54 plate so will that still work with it?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
The cable I linked to isn't a genuine VCDS cable (sorry for the confusion). It's a copy cable but sold by the people who also sell the genuine cables, so you can be fairly certain that it's been tested to work correctly. The genuine VCDS cables (and as such the full function software rather than the shareware) cost quite a bit more. Like this. Link.

As for the dates on the functionality side, the Mk1 Leon isn't CAN based so the cables I linked to are the ones suitable for that model.

However, if you're ever going to upgrade to a Mk2 Leon or suchlike then perhaps consider the package which covers both types. This one.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
sorry to jump in,
Viking the first link is probably enough for myself as mine is Mk1, however it is a 2004 model yet the link states:
VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda cars with the 16-pin diagnostic socket (i.e. most from 1995-2002/3)

now to me that will not surfice as 2003 is before 2004 or even 2005 for some of the mk1 out and about.

surely then the second link you post is needed:
# VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda cars with the 16-pin diagnostic socket (i.e. almost all from 1995-2009+)
# that includes the 2003 and newer VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda models with the new CAN interface

so i'm just a little confused but do not wish to spend £60 more than absolutely ncessary

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
As far as I'm aware all the Mk1 Leons are dual k line diagnostics. The change to CAN diagnostics came with the Mk2 based Leon. I suppose the best option would be to contact Gendan to see if they could confirm or not, and at least ask the question if you order the incorrect one could you return it for an exchange. But 99% certain that Mk1 is the cheaper cable. Some of the early Mk5 Golfs came with CAN and also dual K line installed (so I believe) but that's not entirely relevant.

Final point, the statement about 2003 being the cut off would be correct for VW and Audi as the new Golf came in then and also the new A3 Audi, however, the new Leon was later on after 2005.

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
Well I have ordered the dual K cable so I'll post back to confirm it's correct when I find out. My car is a 54 plate FR TDI by the way.

Final point, the statement about 2003 being the cut off would be correct for VW and Audi as the new Golf came in then and also the new A3 Audi, however, the new Leon was later on after 2005.

They have probably just put the date for the VW / Audi cars not realising the Mk1 Leon was around a bit longer.

Like you say Andrewcupra TDI, why would they change it for the same car towards the end of it's life.

Memphis

The Don
Jan 1, 2008
South Yorkshire

I've got this Gendan cable. It works on my 55 plate Mk1 Leon FR TDi.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise