"Self service" 120k on a PD150

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Thats about it bud, 120k is effectively a 40k service so yeah its a full one as you have listed.

A litre or brake fluid will suffice for a change.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Did this summary a while ago. I think you've covered everything except the bonnet lock, which is not in the schedule but something that gets reported as a problem on here often enough that prevention is much better than cure :)

Oil change service every 10K
- change oil and filter
- check brake pads and disks

Full service every 20K or 12 months, whichever comes first
- change pollen filter
+ check lights, tyres, wipers, "fan belt", toothed belt, steering, driveshaft gaiters
+ levels in gearbox, coolant, hydraulic fluid, power steering, 4wd, screenwasher

Vehicle exterior
- Door retaining straps: grease and lubricate locking pins
- Sun roof: clean and lubricate guides

Not in service schedule but worth doing - lubricate bonnet lock.

Additional items
every 40K,
- change spark plugs (petrol engines)
- change air filter
- change fuel filter (diesel engines)

every 40K or two years
4WD cars, Haldex clutch
- change oil and filter

every 2 years
- change hydraulic fluid

every 60K or 5 years
- change toothed belt (diesel engines)

every 120K
- change toothed belt (petrol engines) (This may have been revised down recently)

Is there anything else that the collected readership of SCN thinks should be done regularly but isn't in the service schedules?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The bonnet locks always look good until they stick. I think part of the problem is that the original grease gets loaded with road dirt, dust and grit and one day they stick shut - either the release cable from the cabin handle pulls out of the lock end, or the plastic pull-to-open catch the should spring out of the grill stays where it is. The spring behind that catch is not very positive. It won't hurt to spray it with some good spray grease - motorcycle chain lube is good, or one of the teflon-loaded sprays.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you NOT to use WD-40 - left for a while, that will surely stick things up - its only for use as a dewatering spray and/or penetrating oil, to free up stuck things :)

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
I'm sure I don't have to tell you NOT to use WD-40 - left for a while, that will surely stick things up - its only for use as a dewatering spray and/or penetrating oil, to free up stuck things :)

That's a bugger as when mine was stuck that is what i used, left to soak and been fine since and no additional applications needed. looked at as though it sprayed the gunk free.

What should be used instead? and also for the door hinges as mine is always a white colour from something applied by the garage at servicing

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I'm not sure what the white grease is that they use on the door straps and so on. Motorcycle chain lube comes in a spray can and is just right for this job, or one of the PTFE-loaded spray lubricants e.g 3-in-one Professional.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.