1.6 cr tdi

Apr 28, 2012
gravesend
i have a 1.6tdi with 36,000 miles on it and ive not had any problems with my car i give it a run upo motorway baout 95% of time time.my work trek is all motorway with about 5 minutes a roads... and i give it abit of welly once in a whule to help clear out the dpf....i have no backbox now so i can notice alot more when the dpf is cleaning because i hear a loud drooning sound coming from the back of my car..sounds nice and burbly on idle though

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
exactly, the problem the AA or RAC man was refering to only really effected the inline audi a4/6 2.0tdi pd engines. they used the most rediculous oil pump/balance shaft combination and they failed. you could either fit a new oil pump drive shaft or convert the oil pump from one form of drive to another.

Thanks for that info, I managed to contact the guy that gave me the info and what exactly he was on about - this was in reference to CR (1.6 or 2.0) and the High Pressure Fuel pump sheding small pieces of metal and making their way to the injectors/ rail. The first indication that this is happening he said is when you find metal in the Fuel filter (from the diesel return from the engine he said)

Paul

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
That can happen on any CR system, the pump bearings are made from brass and when they wear you find tiny particles in the fuel system.

I haven't seen any 1.6/2.0 CR fail in this manor and we look after a fleet or around 50 CR vehicles ranging from caddys, octavias, superbs, passats etc all from brand new. The most they ever seem to need is a good service.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
MJ thats good news what sort of mileage are they up to that you look after ?- do they use brass so that they do wear?
Do you service them from new ?
Paul

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
MJ thats good news what sort of mileage are they up to that you look after ?- do they use brass so that they do wear?
Do you service them from new ?
Paul

The highest mileage cars are hitting 80/90k.

The brass is used as for the internal parts of the pump.

We service them from new yes.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Thanks again just reading through your adverts that come up at the bottom of your posts - sounds like if you havent come across it in your business that it can't be common. If a CR has a DPF do you recommend still turning down the EGR ? Bearing in mind the high pressure feed is filtered ?
Paul

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Thanks again just reading through your adverts that come up at the bottom of your posts - sounds like if you havent come across it in your business that it can't be common. If a CR has a DPF do you recommend still turning down the EGR ? Bearing in mind the high pressure feed is filtered ?
Paul

The later generation of DPFs are so much more refined and efficient than previous models so you rarely see issues. Same with EGR systems - they are more efficient than their predecessors so the need for manipulating them is very low.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
MJ I don't suppose your company has any sites down south do they ? As I want a competent VW servicing / repair place so that I can keep to VW extended warranty and I haven't confidence in dealers !
BTW when you say 'later generation' with regards to DPF and ERG system where does an 09 (2009) Golf TDI GT with a CBA engine number fall in this respect ?
Paul

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
MJ I don't suppose your company has any sites down south do they ? As I want a competent VW servicing / repair place so that I can keep to VW extended warranty and I haven't confidence in dealers !
BTW when you say 'later generation' with regards to DPF and ERG system where does an 09 (2009) Golf TDI GT with a CBA engine number fall in this respect ?
Paul

When I say the earlier stuff I mean that fitted to the PD engines from 2006-2008, they were a tad rubbish to say the least. The CR engines rarely suffer from DPF issues at all.

Sadly we only operate from the one premisis in Manchester at the moment, it allows us to keep all our eggs in one basket so to speak.

AC78

MJ, I've got trouble with my '10 Leon at the moment, glow plug light flashing and limp mode, which resets when the engine is switched off. A friend with a diagnostic unit pulled a P046C code out of it - short circuit in the EGR valve, hopefully removing it and cleaning it out tomorrow will solve this problem, is it possible to blank the EGR valve off on a 2010 1.6 CR TDI? Also can the DPF delete/remap be done on the 1.6 CR TDi? If I keep the car after the 3 yrs is up in March ideally I'd like to get rid of the EGR and DPF.

Thanks for any advice.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
You can blank it off but it will log a fault pretty quickly.

DPF/EGR removal and remaps can be carried out on the 1.6cr yes.

Just be aware that removing it isn't a 5 minute job and won't cure an internal short circuit error.

AC78

You can blank it off but it will log a fault pretty quickly.

DPF/EGR removal and remaps can be carried out on the 1.6cr yes.

Just be aware that removing it isn't a 5 minute job and won't cure an internal short circuit error.

Thanks, will it bring up a warning light on the dash if I blank it off, I assumed that as the valve would still switch it would be ok, is there some other feedback that detects no flow through it? I suppose the other option is to drill a small hole in it to allow some flow?

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
a customers 1.6tdi has had some issues with egr
the car is out of warranty/goodwill
so instead of remove and clean we tried a experiment
firstly we ran a double dose of redex through car and then ran the rest of the bottle normal strength
since then customer noticed a vast improvement in running so he now runs car on shell optimax diesel fuel and it has cured his running issues with the egr
he has also noticed if he swops fuel back to normal the egr issue returns

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
firstly we ran a double dose of redex through car and then ran the rest of the bottle normal strength
since then customer noticed a vast improvement in running so he now runs car on shell optimax diesel fuel and it has cured his running issues with the egr

+1 on that!

Some people just won't be told though and prefer to run their car on the cheapest crap they can find.

AC78

Can you explain in detail how you did that, how do you mean you ran a double dose of redex through the car? Put it in the fuel tank? That would take ages to have an effect surely, and in the meantime the guy ran the car in limp mode? I run mine with a shot of redex every other fill up and my EGR has gone faulty - glow pug light and emissions warning light. Im currently trying to source the DC actuator only part of the valve as I think that is where the fault lies, I had part off yesterday (what a ball ache that is) and the valve itself seems ok I could move it open manually with the actuator removed, the actuator itself turns freely nothing untoward wrong it seems, I am not 100% sure how the position feedback works on these DC actuators but it seems it is done internally in the actuator itself either by a resistance or current feedback to the ECU? A launch unit diagnostic returns error codes P046C and P0048 both which relate to EGR position sensors A & B. Does anyone know if the position sensors are somewhere located on the EGR valve block itself or inside the actuator??
Thanks, Andy.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise