Help with my very poorly pd150.

4937Liam

Jan 12, 2010
Lakenheath, Suffolk.
I really hope someone can shed some light on my cars 'latest' problems.

Within the last couple of weeks my car has felt really quite down on power it feels as though it is 'bogging down' and very reluctant (especially when starting from cold).
This I was hoping was simply down to the cold weather once fully warmed up the car pretty much performs normally. However only yesterday while on my way to work i overtook a car in fourth gear and hit just over 3k before changing into fifth at this point something went very wrong i slowed down for a roundabout and boom the turbo was no longer working, power was none existant and the engine was very loud and boomy.
I immeditaly went to my local garage at a very slow pace (keeping it well out of the turbo).
I turned the car off and waited for my mechanic to arrive. I explained what had happened and he then restarted the car - Turbo spooled up straight away and it was revving freely!

He immeditaly suggested a split boost pipe but im not so sure.

Car is a 2005 Leon PD150 - remapped by AmD (120k, religiously serviced and is most definatly not thrashed around everyday of its life).

Lately with my new job O have to commute and rarely get above 40mph on a 12 mile journey because of severe traffic (I have not driven it to its full potential for a long time really) - Though im hoping this is not a cause of the problems.

Im presuming the worse and in my mind the turbo has had it. If anyone can shed some more light before my mechanic has a look tommorrow it would be very much appriciated.

Many thanks - Liam.

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
i use mr muscle oven cleaner and have had good results
you must make sure the actuator lever is fully free and then run car with redex or similar for a while

4937Liam

Jan 12, 2010
Lakenheath, Suffolk.
Seized acuator was the issue - its freed up now but it caused a surge of boost which caused the car to go into limp mode. Not sure how long things will last but I've taken the car to just over 4k and it hasn't cut out....yet. Fingers are crossed.

YTS

Jun 25, 2009
What did you use to free up the actuator lever? My mate has the same problem in his A3 pd130 apart from it doesn't go into limp mode.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.