High mile PD owners - how are you getting on?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I just thought I'd see how the PD mile munchers were getting on.

My PD130 ticked over 83k the other day and it feels a hell of a lot looser than my previous 25k PD130. Other than a leaky expansion tank, I'm having no problems whatsoever.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Mine's heading past 67k at the moment;
Only real problems at the moment:
1) Knackered shocks
2) Probably would benefit from a new dogbone mount
3) I need a new alternator. Although it's still charging fine, it's throwing a fault that causes the ESP and TCS to disable itself 10 minutes after each startup. Local motor factors want £120+vat for another...
4) The gearlever vibration at idle in neutral and accelerating in 4th is getting really loud now.
I'm sure there's others that I can't think of right now !

Last edited:

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Oh I have my problems with the car:

1) Rear wiper motor is pissing out water
2) ARB has broken
3) Speakers are almost dead
4) Paintwork is really looking ****
5) The boot trim is going to rattle like buggery now I have taken it off.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Sorry I suppose the only TDI engine-related fault is the alternator. (By the way, did you know the TDI alternators have a one-way clutch inside the pulley ? )

The engine seems to be running just fine, no drop in performance, hardly any smoke, uses hardly any oil...idles a bit lumpily but it always has done since new - maybe due to the chip.

Hopefully my extra oil changes will help it stay running well in the long term....

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
did the later Sports still have ESP?

I have TCS but how do you know about t'other?

my car done 17300 (12000 since end of feb)

nothing to report

had an annoying squeaky door hinge - large amount of spray grease sorted that.

other than that - nothing, but not high miler yet

IH786

Apr 8, 2004
Birmingham
orangesprout, muddyboots has got an import, so he got extra options like ESP and Xenons on his car, luck git!!

My car has done 35k, just changed the oil a few days ago, runs fine, but i have had a new DMF and cluch fitted under warranty, as the car would vibrate badly at idle. It solved the problem for a about a month or so, but its now come back :( :( . So it looks like i might need a new one again. Sometimes its fine, not even noticeable, but it gets much worse when i am in heavy traffic.

muddyboots it sounds like you might have a similar problem to me, are you sure its not your DMF that is causing your problems??

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
muddyboots said:
By the way, did you know the TDI alternators have a one-way clutch inside the pulley

Yup stops the pulleys coming undone when the engine rocks backwards when its turned off. (compression makes it do about 1/2 turn anti clockwise before it stops dead)

DFM related faults on TDi alternators seem quite common.

MAdMAtt84

Aug 9, 2004
Canterbury, Kent
I thought ESP was standard on the sports? Its a safety thing surely not summut seat can decide they can do without like the boot light.. no comparison... but what do i know.

MAtt

MAdMAtt84

Aug 9, 2004
Canterbury, Kent
How can i tell besides going to the dealers and having them look up my records which i very well might do. ASR whats that stand for again, i get ESP and ASR mixed up.

MAtt

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Have put about 90,000 miles on to various PD100s

First 1 went from new to 50000 very well. Sterling effort by me to leave Fabia on its roof - engine was fine though and is still being used by someone today. Only big job was a warrantied turbo replacement.

Second 1 I took from 27000 to 64000 - Also no problems, but I decided the engine needed replacing anyway, so in went a PD130. Hoping for "7360 to many many many miles" in the future.

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
ive just over 100k, and tuned since new, no problems with the engine only a intercooler hose clip snapping, the front shocks need replacing as its gone very wallowy and oil leaking out of one shock.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
techie said:
DFM related faults on TDi alternators seem quite common.
What do you mean by DFM faults techie ? VAG-COM reports the error as "Alternator Term DF - Implausibe Signal" (IIRC) - is that what you mean ?

And UK TDI Sports came as standard with TCS (Traction Control) - also known as ASR on other cars (Anti Slip Regulation I think).
ESP was only offered as an option abroad for quite a while, then it became an option on FRs (and I think it's standard on Cupras but might be wrong).

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
muddyboots, i dont know if this is related or not but this happened on my Golf, the same problem, alternator was charging ok but after 10 mins the traction light was coming on and vagcom told me alternator implausable signal. there is a connector that comes from the alternator with 2 small wires and then it goes to a connector beside the starter on gearbox, there was a break in mine at that connector but ive no idea if the set up is the same on ibiza. its a common problem on the Golf anyway

Last edited:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
micky 32 said:
muddyboots, i dont know if this is related or not but this happened on my Golf, the same problem, alternator was charging ok but after 10 mins the traction light was coming on and vagcom told me alternator implausable signal. there is a connector that comes from the alternator with 2 small wires and then it goes to a connector beside the starter on gearbox, there was a break in mine at that connector but ive no idea if the set up is the same on ibiza. its a common problem on the Golf anyway

Spot on, usually brings up the battery light.

Ibiza ones like the Fabia PD's tend to be faulty alternators though.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Micky and techie - thanks for the info.
I've been meaning to trace back the cabling to check for breaks, before shelling out huge amounts of cash for another alternator. I've got a copy of the Mk4 Ibiza wiring diagrams so I was going to check for continuity from the alternator to the ECU connector.

How easy is it to get the ECU connector off ?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The DFM wire is a signal wire that goes from the dash, to the engine ECU and alternator.

On the Ibiza have a look at the two plugs on the front of he gearbox under the battery. Just pop one apart and see if its corroded. Usually one of the wires just falls apart.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.