mufflerectomy...

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
You reckon the boxes are more restrictive than the cat then ?

I'd always assumed the cat would be the worst offender.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Two days after i bought my Cupra new from the dealers i had the Cat removed which only made a very slight improvement.Four days later i had a different back box fitted which made alot of difference.Did the same with my new PD 130 i had before my Cupra. I think changing your Cat only really makes much difference if you start to do major changes like bigger turbo etc. In an old car changing the Cat might make more of a difference if the Cat is block with soot etc. Just going on past experience really.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Yeah i agree, ive read countless posts on TDIClub saying that removing the CAT does barely anything, not enough to warrant the expense, risk of capture and killing the world off to boot :)

Loosing the back box on mine has made a surprising difference. The car just feels more eager at higher revs and the turbo not only sounds ace, but spools quickly. You also loose about 30kg of weight!

It does make it sound a little more beefy, so if you want to keep the sound out of the cabin, be sure to get a tail pipe that goes beyond the edge of your rear valance by an inch or so.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Just back from having mine done, im well happy especially coasting in gear, it sounds really meaty. Yet not really audible inside the car with windows closed, just a faint rumble.

You also get a nice rasp at around 1800rpm if your pressing on.

Got a tip similar to the original so looks good :) Im happy.

Although when I pulled up round the back of mine, my flat mate thought a rather rough sounding taxi was parking!

:doh:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Devon & Ed, thanks for that, I'd never have guessed the silencer would have more effect than a decat.

Definitely think I'll get rid of my rear box when it rusts out now.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
LOL...I'm not married. Well not technically anyway, though I guess living together for 13 years is as close as it gets....

Thing is, I bought the Passat for a purpose and had no intention of modding it because the money is needed for the housebuilding fund...
Anyway, I've had it remapped and bought the brake carriers for my 312mm conversion, I'm also eyeing up a set of Eibach dampers and will need a new pair of tyres soon, I've kinda spent more that I wanted already !

So the mufflerectomy can wait until such time as I'd need to change it anyway...

Anyway, I'm off now, got to rub some salt into the silencer casing :D

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Who actually is responsible for this site? Im considering sueing or minimum haveing words with them!

I never wanted to Mod my car, and stumble on this website, and its gone down hill since! Its their fault... Its a blame culture and im blaming them!

I need compensation ;) (promise I wont spend it on Coilovers!!!!) :whistle:

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
muddyboots said:
So the mufflerectomy cannot wait until such time as I'd need to change it anyway...

Anyway, I'm off now, got to rub some salt into the silencer casing :D

:idea: Just put a hole in it with a hammer and say a stone flew up and made the hole when you where driving. :cheeky:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
devonmikeyboy said:
:idea: Just put a hole in it with a hammer and say a stone flew up and made the hole when you where driving. :cheeky:
Do you think I'd believe myself :D

T. Spark

Well, had mine done now seems to be a growing trend, and have to say for how much it costs, its well worth it!

Sounds so much more angry now, yes it still sounds like a diesel, but a fast one :D

Have to say like Ed mine does seem to want to rev a little more freely now etc etc (even with the turbo not working half the time!)

Worth while mod for us TDi boys :D

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
I talked about this mod for ages,,, since I knew it on fred's site,,,

yet everybody preferred buyin expensive [and, more importantly, more trendy] kits, pretending they were by far better than a straight pipe,,, now, we all know this way is better and cheaper,,, serves them right,,,

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
basstard said:

yet everybody preferred buyin expensive [and, more importantly, more trendy] kits, pretending they were by far better than a straight pipe,,, now, we all know this way is better and cheaper,,, serves them right,,,
c'mon Carlo stop beating about the bush and tell us what you really think:D :D :D

T. Spark

basstard said:

I didnt, so atleast one person listerned :D

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
After starting this thread awhile back, i finally have a bit of money together, so went down to JKM in portsmouth.

Feelin hopeful, as the max price some of you guys have paid was around £300 varying to as little as £120.

So in i trot, thinkin in a couple of weeks i'll finally have it done and, well to put it in slighlty less graphic terms, i may as well have bent over and pulled my own pants down! £400!!!!!

Was well shocked, they said it was because 2.25 inch pipe is more expensive than 2.5, but the 2.5 would be harder to do.

Not sure about powerflow, anyone know the best one in the area? I've heard southampton isn't that great?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise