Front Anti Roll Bar Cupra

gerallt1

I have a Cupra tdi 06

Done a lot of searches but have not found anything conclusive.

I have been suffering form suspension knocking for over the past 8 months, and the dealers to their best endeavours have failed to cure the problem.

Parts replaced so far:-

Steering Column
Drop links
Steering control arms.
Power Steering Pump

The car seems to be rolling much more at the front than usual and the knocking is getting wose. I am convinced it’s the front roll bar hitting the front wishbones due to very little clearance (seems to be the common problem), however the dealers tell me it is fine.

Would it be worth changing it for a Fabia VRS roll bar, and how hard a job is it to change, as on some searches it’s mentioned that you need to lower the front sub-frame?

Thanks!

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I'm getting mines changed soon... having loads of problem and replaced all sorts and it can only be the ARB now!

Subframe needs to be dropped for the change thats the only downfall - I'm looking for a mechanic that can do the job for me at a reasonable rate.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have a Cupra tdi 06

Done a lot of searches but have not found anything conclusive.

I have been suffering form suspension knocking for over the past 8 months, and the dealers to their best endeavours have failed to cure the problem.

Parts replaced so far:-

Steering Column
Drop links
Steering control arms.
Power Steering Pump

The car seems to be rolling much more at the front than usual and the knocking is getting wose. I am convinced it’s the front roll bar hitting the front wishbones due to very little clearance (seems to be the common problem), however the dealers tell me it is fine.

Would it be worth changing it for a Fabia VRS roll bar, and how hard a job is it to change, as on some searches it’s mentioned that you need to lower the front sub-frame?

Thanks!

First I would have thought that the VRS's ARB would be the same as the Cupra's ARB - any thoughts you have that lead you to believe that the ARB from a 06 car might be suffering the same problem as the early Fabias Polos and Ibizas should really be totally wrong - these early cars had plastic end stops which broke, your car should have been fitted with the later ARB which had steel end stops - welded on to the ARB. Are you sure its not a gearbox mounting issue (I'm not a Cupra owner - so I'm just guessing in a hopefully helpful way!).

basssound

May 31, 2007
Rotherham, South Yorkshire!
Just make sure there isn't too much play in the caliper pins and bushes ;)
If there's a load of movement in these then it WILL wobble about and cause that annoying knocking ;)
As for the ARB, check the wrap around bushed for any play at all, all you need to do is use a pry bar to check for movement OR with the aid of a mate, whilst your under it (preferably on a 4 poster drive on ramp) get the mate to rock the body of the car and check the ARB for any movement.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
The Fabia VRS front ARB is thicker than the Cupra one (by 1mm I think). If you want a tighter front end then use the Fabia one. But bear in mind there is a reason the Cupra has a different one. The suspension and weight distribution of the cars isn't the same so fitting the VRS one won't necessarily give you better handling.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The Fabia VRS front ARB is thicker than the Cupra one (by 1mm I think). If you want a tighter front end then use the Fabia one. But bear in mind there is a reason the Cupra has a different one. The suspension and weight distribution of the cars isn't the same so fitting the VRS one won't necessarily give you better handling.

ARB sizes Ibiza v Fabia and Polo, my ETOS shows that you are completely correct and I was completely wrong - strange though! BTW, the only two sizes quoted for the Ibiza are 18mm and 29mm - but I reckon that is a mistake and they got confused between 19 and 20. Certainly the two options quoted are PR-0AQ and PR-0AR, the third option used on Polo and Fabia is PR-0AS - and that is the option that uses the 20mm ARB.

Just a general statement, if you are upgrading to the 20mm ARB then you will need the 20mm's mounting bushes as well, and if upgrading from 18mm you will also need to change the pipe clamps to the bigger size.

Last edited:

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
ARB sizes Ibiza v Fabia and Polo, my ETOS shows that you are completely correct and I was completely wrong - strange though! BTW, the only two sizes quoted for the Ibiza are 18mm and 29mm - but I reckon that is a mistake and they got confused between 19 and 20. Certainly the two options quoted are PR-0AQ and PR-0AR, the third option used on Polo and Fabia is PR-0AS - and that is the option that uses the 20mm ARB.

Just a general statement, if you are upgrading to the 20mm ARB then you will need the 20mm's mounting bushes as well, and if upgrading from 18mm you will also need to change the pipe clamps to the bigger size.

Actually I just checked ETKA and that shows that I'm wrong. The standard PR-0AQ one is 18mm, PR-0AR is 19mm (FR), and the Cupra has the 20mm one which is the same part number as the Fabia PR-0AS one which suggests Fabia VRS and Cupra ARBs are actually the same size and part unless there is an un-listed thicker one for the VRS :shrug:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Damn, and I was trying to be wrong! My ETOS quoting 29mm sounded a bit better?!? If that is what ETKA says then that should be closer to the truth - it does make a bit more sense to have all three sizes used across the range seeing as most of the engines are shared - and it is only Cupra that gets the proper TCA rear bush!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.