Engine dies and car shakes

fhik

Jul 15, 2014
Hi, I have a strange problem with my Leon SX TDi (110).

This problem usually occurs soon after I start it from cold (hasn't been started for a few hours at least).
As I accelerate in first, The car is fine for a moment, then it feels like the turbo has cut out (loss of power), then after a moment the car dies completely (as I stop accelerating).

When I try to start the car again, sometimes it won't start it just makes a noise (I can't remember what the noise is :/) . When it does start (if it didn't start first time, it will always fire up eventually) the engine and car shakes and the engine sounds very rough, the shake almost seems to be in time with the rough tick over.

Once its warmed up and been revved a bit she is perfect. This problem doesn't happen every time which means I can't just take it to my mechanic and show him.

Thanks in advance for any guesses or advice.
Ross, Cornwall.

robbie-jd

Nov 28, 2014
hi, sounds like the exact same problem I'm having, I've tried almost everything apart from injectors and pump, did you manage to get it sorted. cheers Rob

fhik

Jul 15, 2014
I haven't tried anything. I didn't want to start spending too much money on a car that isn't worth all that much. The car seems to be okay if I avoid revving over 2500 rpm in first in the first 5 minutes or so of travel.

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Mk1 110 bhp leons are worth solid gold, brilliant cars. You need to describe a bit better how it's having difficulty starting. Is it turning over fast but not firing up or labouring and turning slowly.

wickss

Feb 18, 2015
Hi, i'm new to this forum i cant help with the problem above but had a similar issue today. I have a 56 plate 1.4l iibiza. I was driving home after been parked for 2 hours. Engine light came on and car started juddering. After driving about a mile battery light came on and i lost all power to the car. Restarted the engine drove for another mile or so and battery died again. Happened three time in total on a 3 mile journey. Any idea what the issue could be. Thanks in advance.

fhik

Jul 15, 2014
Hi. Oil, battery and filters were all replaced not too long ago I think. What is vcds ??
Thanks for the replies guys. The problem seems to be avoided if I don't rev too hard in first within the first couple of minutes of travel.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Could be air intake temperature sensor failed meaning the engine can't compensate for early morn temperatures, at a guess. Vcds or Rosstech vcds-Lite is software that read your ecu for fault codes which could direct you to a failed sensor/mechanism. You might prefer getting a hand held scanner off ebay for about £12 instead. It can't do as much as rosstech but is cheaper and if you only need to read and clear the code it may be what you need.

fhik

Jul 15, 2014
No fault codes came up when it was plugged into a scanner. There was a code for over boosting (charge pressure positive deviation), but that code first appeared (and was cleared) long before the problem started.
Interestingly today, I accelerated hard in first to see if the problem was still present. The engine didn't die and i didn't loose power, but it still shook quite a bit.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
You may need vcds-lite then to check sensors and injection quantities and timing etc ar within parameters. They may be border line so as not to through a fault but interupt operations. A failed MAF sensor won't through a fault but make your car run slow. Are all the injectors seatted properly? Fuel lines all good and secure? A loss of compression or air dran into a faulty fuel line can cause engine shake.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise