Time for some new tyres... but which ones?

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Afternoon all,

My front tyres are in need of replacements and I'm wondering what to go for?

I've got Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's at the moment, and though they've served me well, they don't grip massively well when cornering, so I'm looking for something new.

I previously had some Pirelli Zero's, but they sat wrong on my rims and made so much noise and were very bumpy.

I've been told Uniroyal Rainsport 2's are good, and they've since brought out 3's, but the tread pattern is much different.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks!:happy:

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Michelin Pilot super sports. Sorted (Y)

Thanks lsg60. Reading reviews on them they seem to be unreal in the dry, but not much good in the wet. Also a few people saying they don't last very long. Though this ma be down to them being softer for more grip.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Eagle f1 as an all rounder but 2nd super sports for amazing grip in the dry

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
I'm running on Michelin Pilot Sport 3's. 225/45/17. Great grip in wet and dry, can't fault them.

Think the supersports are more of a performance tyre, go for pilot sport 3's, you won't regret it

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Thanks lsg60. Reading reviews on them they seem to be unreal in the dry, but not much good in the wet. Also a few people saying they don't last very long. Though this ma be down to them being softer for more grip.

Then you have read wrong lmao, fantastic in the wet, out perform previous "wet" tyres iv had. Id say better in the wet then my old pzero were in the dry.

Can't comment for durability though

Last edited:

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Nankang ns2r, awesome grip and very good value. Currently running vredestien and have been faultless But will try the ns2r next. They are a road legal Slick.

toplad

Jan 25, 2015
i need some new tyres soon as well only need 2 fronts rears have a few miles in them but i going to change all 4..

not long had mine and I've got rear road noise.. was going to get my toe and camber done when i get the new rubber..

does anyone now the the camber setting needed on the fr?

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for your help everyone. I hate buying tyres, it stresses me out!

Does anyone know what load rating I SHOULD have? (Leon FR Mk2 Facelift CR TDI)? My current ones are 91W and 91Y, but I've no idea whether the number or letter is right!

Thanks

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I'm not sure you're going to find a better all rounder than the Eagle F1 you have - you varied the pressures? I've not found the amount of grip they offer on the road an issue at all.

Shayz

May 31, 2012
I would go pilots sports but they cost a lot but well worth it for grip and performance

Currently running continental contisport 5, these are well balanced with no wheel spin issues and no sound in the cabin

KevD

Mar 14, 2015
What mileage can you expect out Dunlop Sport Maxx or eagle F1s? They are bit more expensive than others I'm looking at but if I get 5k extra miles then it's worth it.

Also looking at uniroyal rainsport 3s but put off by reviews saying you get 6k miles, alternatives would be Avon ZZ5's , Vredestein Ultrac Vorti or Ultrac Cento.

The car came with Achillies ATR sports... I'm guessing most tyres are going to be better! Looking for more wet grip and less noise basically.

Buying tyres is a pain in the arse big time - every review contradicts another, even the magazine tests.

(Sorry to poke nose in as a newbie but looking to rpelace tyres and didnt want to start a new thread for soemthing that's been covered 20 times)

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
What mileage can you expect out Dunlop Sport Maxx or eagle F1s? They are bit more expensive than others I'm looking at but if I get 5k extra miles then it's

The pair of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT's I changed in January had done 17k miles but the tread depth was right down to the wire. They were replaced with Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's. The remaining pair of GT's have 3mm of tread left on them (now at ~17.5k miles).

It really depends how you drive the car. I tend not to rag mine everywhere I go so that probably helps to extend their lifespan.

Last edited:

KevD

Mar 14, 2015
17k is probably a lot more than the rain sports get. Black circles have the Dunlop RT's at £87 each fitted which is pretty decent. Will prob stick a set of winters on the spare alloys and that'll do us over 3 years.

Kev

Last edited:

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
I am well impressed with the Rainsport 3's... I've now got them on all 4 wheels. Unreal grip! I can't say how they are for wear yet though, but I will when they're worn!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise