Hurdy's Polo GTI - Ibiza cousin!

derv_dan

Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
Bloody insane for a 1.4! How about the supercharger, have any mods been brought out for that? I take it the supercharger deals with low revs?

Used to have a Polo G40 and you could do alsorts to that charger - porting, smaller pulley etc.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Cheers guys,

There aren't any manufactured mods out there for the supercharger, however you could reduce the pulley to spool faster, but heat in the charger is quite high as standard. Acceleration is now more about the launch and available grip rather than outright power. :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'm not sure you'd want the supercharger spooled faster - it'd be all out of boost too early & there'd be a nice gap before the cutover to the turbo.

How's the transition on your new turbo?

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I'm not sure you'd want the supercharger spooled faster - it'd be all out of boost too early & there'd be a nice gap before the cutover to the turbo.

How's the transition on your new turbo?

I'm not going to touch the supercharger set up and the transition between the s/c and turbo is just like OEM. If anything the car seems to run smoother in the mid-range.[B)]

I've been getting used to the extra power over the last few days and how best to use it ie. gear selection (I nearly always run in manual mode) rpm handover etc and it is a lovely bit of kit now. To say the turbo and fitting cost me less than I'd pay for a new Milltek TBE I'd say it is a great mod. The quality of the work on the turbo is superb and better than any K04 hybrid build I've seen (and I've seen a few!)

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Little update....
The Pace intercooler and radiator went on yesterday. A few minor fitting issues to get around, but nothing major to say that Pace haven't seen the car before. The quality of the welds and kit in general is phenomenally good. The radiator has 68% more cooling capacity over stock and the intercooler is 36% larger in volume than stock, so a good bit of extra cooling to be had even before the cooling benefits of the water methanol injection is considered. Re-routing the wiring that normally goes in front of the exhaust cat was the main bit of work as the bracket the wiring fits on no longer has ANY clearance for the radiator fan, in fact the fan vanes sat either side of the bracket with a 5mm overlap!

wrighty89

Sep 22, 2010
Was also going to ask, I read on another forum that you had changed to a decat downpipe. Is this the Milltek decat? Has there been much change to the noise from the exhaust? Volume? Pitch? Tone? etc

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Was also going to ask, I read on another forum that you had changed to a decat downpipe. Is this the Milltek decat? Has there been much change to the noise from the exhaust? Volume? Pitch? Tone? etc

It did very little to the sound and it was a cut out of the cat section of the Milltek.:)

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Last Sunday I attended a 30-130 day at RAF Marham and apart from the poor weather conditions ( rained nearly all day ) and the admin **** up from the Mitsubishi Lancer Register organisers for some of the other guys, the baby GTI performed faultlessly. After discussions with people who had been before and looking at past results I had set myself targets of 30mph -130mph at 25-30 seconds and a top speed of 140mph.

The event itself is held every year and in a 1.2 mile strip you have to accelerate through cones from under 20mph and go as fast as you can before the brake markers and barriers at the 1.2 mile marker, most brake well before the markers.

Top speed achieved was 142.94 mph ( showed as 160 mph on the speedo )
30-130 mph was done in 24.04 seconds

So mission achieved on both accounts.

What I didn't realise was that the airstrip wasn't flat, which I thought it would have been. There was a significant incline for the first third of the strip, then flat-ish in the middle and then back to an incline for the last third. With this and the fact the surface was soaking wet the times for everyone weren't as good as expected. I had to start off the runs in third gear after finding out that a second gear start just ends up in a hail of wheelspin!

To give you all some idea of where I came in the overall standings, I came 39th out of 65 runners and beat some cars that I thought I wouldn't - R32, MKII Focus RS, RS4, Scooby etc.

The RAF however were military precision personified and made the day run as smoothly as it possibly could have.

Great to meet a few guys down there and have a chat or two. Dan GB made 160mph [B)]

My mate's Porker 997 turbo didn't do badly at all to say it was on worn road tyres, manual and still on the stock turbo's. 30-130 in 10.7 and a top speed of 193mph. Next year will be different though

The Golf ED30 had more issues as the health check the day before found it needing 3 new tyres, but no R1R's or semi-slicks could be sourced in time. That meant that with the race file, hybrid K04 and WMI it was all a bit too much for the traction and meant the car could only be floored once it was well over 100mph and had to brake early again due to the poor tyres. Craig didn't feel confident above 150mph in it as it was sliding all over and you have to remember it wasn't his car!

Like I said though it was a successful first time out for the hybrid turbo on a non-specific map and not bad for a little 1.39 litre car eh?

Next year my targets will be sub 20 seconds and over 150mph, with a few more mods.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
That is really impressive mate! Well done, so these little cars can be made to do some serious performance. Have you not had any issues with misfires though? After all the issues I had and many others with this engine.....