possible best mod eveeeer

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Could be worse I ran it for about a year before it tore off the metal ball thing from the tailgate.

New tailgate was required.

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Is there any down sides to doing this mod?

My boot struts on my 2012 Leon seem to be a bit lame anyway and in need of replacement so thinking about killing 2 birds with one stone.

Where's the best place to buy struts at the moment then? OEM octy ones from the dealers or from SGS?

Seems like most are needing to get the scirocco bumps too?

Keithio

Oct 30, 2015
Middlesbrough
I've got them on mine and thinking of taking them off.

The upside is the boot pops which is cool and handy if your carrying something to put in the boot.

The downsides are -
At first the struts are too strong and the tailgate bounces against the hinges.
Because the struts are too strong you need 2 hands and big muscles to close the boot which is a nightmare if your trying to carry something out of the boot as you have to put it on the floor while you shut the boot.
The struts do weaken slightly after a few days and then the boot doesn't pop anymore which is why you need the scirocco bump stops which are spring loaded to get the popping started.
Worst of all is as in the post a couple above a few people have had their strut mounts ripped off!!!

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Yeah I'm a bit worried about it putting too much stress on the tailgate and damaging something tbh.

Think I'm going to replace with regular oem struts...

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
Necro thread for first post, long time lurker, short time member but this mod was something i was interested in from some videos.

Did anyone actually get this to work comfortably? i fitted the 515n struts but when the boot opens it's almost supersonic, it comes to an abrupt stop shaking the entire vehicle, it can't be good for the mounts surely? i fear it will shear something, a ball joint or the metal sheet work it's mounted to, be it tailgate or the car itself.

Also it is bloody stiff to close, i'm 6 foot tall and do a job that requires manual labour some days, yet i need to pull it down with both hands and then quickly switch to the outside to force it the rest of the way grubbying the paint, our lass can barely close the thing. Whipped them straight off.

Any updates on others progress?

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
No that's about the size of it. The Mk2 Leon was never designed to have a auto-lifting tailgate. The angles the struts sit at are not right for that sort of setup which is why such strong struts are required to get it to work and that has the side effects you've observed... too much force required to operate and too much force being put through the mounts.

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
No that's about the size of it. The Mk2 Leon was never designed to have a auto-lifting tailgate. The angles the struts sit at are not right for that sort of setup which is why such strong struts are required to get it to work and that has the side effects you've observed... too much force required to operate and too much force being put through the mounts.
oh well, got some Octavia boot struts to flog on FleaBay then.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise