Clutch problem - advice please!

jeb26

Sep 26, 2015
'07 FR TDi PD130

Was driving the other day and the clutch went soft and eventually the bite was almost instant and then the clutch was literally sticking to the floor, managed to free off by hand but kept happening.

I'm told it could be either the master cylinder, slave cylinder or (please say it's not) the flywheel.

Any ideas?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Flywheel usually rattles and stuff when it's bad, it sounds more like the slave cylinder or maybe an issue with the clutch mechanism.

jeb26

Sep 26, 2015
Flywheel usually rattles and stuff when it's bad, it sounds more like the slave cylinder or maybe an issue with the clutch mechanism.

Fingers crossed!

I can deal with it being master or slave but flywheel will break me ££££

jeb26

Sep 26, 2015
I've just been out to the car and noticed that even with the engine off if you press the peddle down it seems to spring upwards (down to the floor) and stay there?

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Check your clutch fluid level (hidden behind engine). If you are consuming fluid then likely the slave which is a right pain as it is an annulus type so gearbox out. If you are not consuming fluid then more likely the master cylinder which does sound likely as it is banging on the floor. If you are leaking fluid then look for the puddle - it may yet be hoses or bleed nipple or something relatively easy.

jeb26

Sep 26, 2015
Not uses any brake fluid. Just praying it's not the flywheel! Towing it to the garage tomorrow!

Thanks for the replys!

Last edited:

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Brake fluid and clutch fluid are separate reservoirs mate.

If you were looking for a clutch fluid leak by checking the brake fluid level you were looking in the wrong place.

jeb26

Sep 26, 2015
Brake fluid and clutch fluid are separate reservoirs mate.

If you were looking for a clutch fluid leak by checking the brake fluid level you were looking in the wrong place.

Clearly I'm no mechanic lol!

Well it's in the garage now so fingers crossed!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.