2006 Ibiza Cupra PD160. Where is the glow plug relay

MattSee

Apr 24, 2013
Afternoon all,

Car has been taking a lot more cranking that usual, when cold. Did the usual checks, and while glow plugs are all good (around 0.6 ohms each) I'm not getting 12V on the glow plug wiring loom during the preheat stage.

The glow plug light on the dash does its normal thing - comes on for around 2 seconds, then goes off.

I don't currently have VAG COM but am happy to diagnose it, old-style with multimeter and so on.

Problem is...where is the friggin' glow plug relay ?

There are only 4 relays near the fusebox (driver's side of dash pop-out end panel), and none of the VAG part numbers on these give 100% confident results when googled as being teh culprit. The relays are number 18, 53, 100, 109.

Other potential locations seem to be to the right of the battery or in the plenum chamber (below the wiper trim panel). But there's nothing that looks VAG part number 038907281C which is apparently what I need.

Help !!!

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
In this temperature your car would start just fine with zero power to the glow plugs, they're basically not used on direct injection engines unless the temperature is stupid low.
Many older cars are running around with broken plugs anyway, but since they're barely used people do not realise.

If your car is taking ages to start I'd be looking somewhere else than glow plugs.

Last edited:

MattSee

Apr 24, 2013
In this temperature your car would start just fine with zero power to the glow plugs, they're basically not used on direct injection engines unless the temperature is stupid low.
Many older cars are running around with broken plugs anyway, but since they're barely used people do not realise.

If your car is taking ages to start I'd be looking somewhere else than glow plugs.

Thanks for the advice here - seems like you have a good knowledge on these engines. Another question - if I could - I'm more concerned about the hot starting, where (if it is hot and been left for around 15 - 30 minutes) it can be difficult to start. It cranks well, although it shakes about a lot, but just won't fire. I've replaced the engine coolant sensor, but lots of other varied advice including:

Battery
Starter motor
Crank sensor
Cam sensor

Any thoughts ?

TIA !

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
More likely a sensor (or sensor wiring!) than the battery or starter.

Have you read fault codes with VCDS???

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Start with a new/known fuel filter and looking for leaks. Could be air ingress from a mechanical point of view .. hotter/thinner diesel leaks quicker but then you would expect cold starting issues after an overnight standing. Hotter/thinner diesel will be harder to pump as it will leak out quicker especially in the injectors? VAGCOM then after a filter and a good look for leaks/damp patches.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise