The Hare and the Tortoise...

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
A little late in posting this thread, apathy and laziness ;)

The Hare...

A few months back I said farewell to BT57 WMM, my Cupra TDi.

gGJgY60.jpg

mceBWId.jpg

I bought the car with nearly 65K on the clock and sold her after four and half years of motoring, with nearly 120K.

I do believe the car was mapped since it performed fantastically with plenty grunt :) I received a combined figure of 44 mpg and that contained mixed driving upon various roads. I really was pleased that this little car bridged the gap between performance and economy.

Overall, I found the Ibiza to maintain a decent level of reliability. One or two issues here and there but nothing to make me regret purchasing her. As such I do miss the car but I miles and age were creeping up and I figured it was time to move on.

The Tortoise...

Just as the sale proceeded with the Cupra TDi I bought something of a different ethos.

R7oObzw.jpg

ydlrbzm.jpg

My Ibiza Ecomotive

Here the challenge is not how quickly one can drive it, but how many miles one can get from the tank ;)

Yes, I did believe the 80 mpg hype that VAG published and sadly its no where near that, usually a combined figure of 63mpg. Although, that's with careful defensive driving on various roads. I do quite enjoy the game of seeing just how much it'll do on individual journeys, managed to get 73mpg a couple of times (cyclists overtaking me ;) )

I will say I do find the chassis to be a little more fluid and malleable than that of MK4 Ibiza. Even though this zero performance model it's balance is a tad more confidence inspiring.

So, on that note I'd like to say thanks for all the advice and help provided to me by various MK4 owners over the period of owning the car. I wish you all the very best :cheers:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd say in general terms, anyone running currently running a MK4 Ibiza has nothing to worry about when moving up to a MK5, though if buying a petrol engine version try to wait until you can afford the later 1.2TSI engines, ie the ones with the turbo fitted to the rear of the engine, has a belt driven cambelt and 16 valves, these changes came in 2015 with the electrical upgrade which included a larger MMI display.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise