Hmmmmm...ice INSIDE the car!!!!

kerry3113

I am thinking about the weather we are due to have this week and I am cringing at the thought that my car will be as frozen on the inside as it is on the outside. When there is a heavy freeze, I literally have to scrape the ice from the inside of my car with a petrol loyalty card. It's terrible. Any ideas why? I have only had my car since June (it's a 54 plate) so this is my first winter with it and it's brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Ta in advance,

kerry3113

Thanks, but I have just recently had the pollen filter changed and the windows are sparkling as I have made use of my 2 weeks off work over christmas. Any other suggestions please?

Donitsi

Check the floor mats, are they wet. I'd still say it´s normal. Moisture from your clothes, breathing combined with heavy freeze. At the moment we have outside -13 celsius and that's just a frisky winter weather.

kerry3113

Thank. I took my car to the local petrol station for a good hoovering and didn't notice any wet carpets. It must just be the norm then, but I was just concerned as this hasn't happened in my previous cars.

Ta again ;)

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Have you washed the car or had heavy rain (i'd say yes to that one.lol) and noticed any streaks of water on the INSIDE of the windows front and back ,i have this, although it is "fixed" to a better state than before, causes condensation like crazy, had one night when inside froze.

kerry3113

That's exactly what it's like. If it has frozen inside, when it defrosts, the screen is total wet through and I have to dry it as it runs down the inside. Hmmmm......

sounds like you have in the past got water inside the car, but it has not been always to dry out thoroughly so you have condensation in the car all the time.

Check you door seal and carpets with not just sight but feel if there is water content within the carpet or sound proofing below it.

do you ever use the air-recirculation button?

kerry3113

I have only just started to use the air-recirculation button as this seems to warm the car up quicker. Is this the right or wrong thing to do?

kerry3113

I wouldnt use that in Winter it will just recirculate moist air around the car... Ideal in summer with AC on thou..

Oh I see! Thanks. This is my first car with air-con! I have finally come out the dark ages when it comes to cars :redface: I will try not using it to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again for your advice!

just for example: if you have dampness on you feet that you have brought into the car then you have air recirculation on you car will start to mist up as moisture cannot escape out of the car. hopefully not using it will help.

you can however use the aircon. this does remove moisture however most aircons dont work if the temp outside is lower than 5c. if you windscreen is misted up in the mornings and it is not too cold outside try putting the aircon on you'll see the screen clear much faster then normal.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Don't just feel the carpets! give them a good thumping,that'll bring any water thats there through the carpet!
Mine "felt" dry,but were wet in the soundproofing :cry:

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
It will be condensation freezing.
Try this.

Last 2mins of a journey have your windows open to remove any unwanted moist air (this may make you cold though :) )

Also you can get a thing you put in caravans that catches the moisture. Its like a little white box, they used to sell them in halfrauds. i know people with track cars with no blowers or anything to clear the screen and they just leave one of them in there car. Works a treat. :D

WildChild88

Aug 30, 2008
Doncaster
It will be condensation freezing.
Try this.

Last 2mins of a journey have your windows open to remove any unwanted moist air (this may make you cold though :) )

Also you can get a thing you put in caravans that catches the moisture. Its like a little white box, they used to sell them in halfrauds. i know people with track cars with no blowers or anything to clear the screen and they just leave one of them in there car. Works a treat. :D

I've known people use a load of Silica gel, sounds like the same sort of thing! Works pretty well i've heard!! :) ;)

Doddsy

Apr 11, 2007
We had the same thing with out Altea .. I checked the carpets etc .. and they were dry, It turned out that our little girl had lowered her rear window slightly which didn't help.. much better now but it does mist up more than my car inside.

Donitsi

On wednesday we drove to work with my friends car and it was -20 outside. All the windows were frozen from inside, windscreen had a 30x50cm clear spot :) The recirculation had broken and it was constanly on, couldn't turn of. But that was an Opel/Vauxhal :lol:

As for drying, kitty litter pull moisten air nicely and it's cheap also. Just remember to use freshly from the bag, not the box that your cat sit in ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.