Battery Question

mrdo

Jan 10, 2013
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago i took my diesel exeo to the dealers for a free annual service as they'd cocked up the last one.

Ever since then the car has started sluggishly which has now resulted in a flat battery and the car failing to start. Up until now the car has started 100% first time and was in no way sluggish to start (which I now realise was the battery struggling).

Could the dealer have done anything during the service to have caused this or is it more likely that there's now a problem with either the alternator or the battery?

I tend to do a lot of short trips of around 15 minutes at the moment which I know won't be helping.

Any help gratefully received!

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
It’s unlikely that dealer has directly done something to the car, it could be just coincidence. They may have left the ignition on listening to the radio or the lights may have been left on which pushed the battery over the edge.

As a rule of thumb batteries normally last twice their advertised guaranteed life. But that life can be shortened with repeated short trips. You could try putting a charger on the battery or even open it and top up the water inside. But having tried those over the years it’s only a temporary fix, if you’re keeping the car you’re better off getting a new one.

If you have a multi meter you can check the alternator since the voltage across the battery should be over 12v when the engine running.

mrdo

Jan 10, 2013
thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

i'm guessing it must have been a co-incidence but i hope now that there's not an issue with the alternator.

although a previous post mentioned that their dealer was offering a fixed price of £99 for a new battery, mine quoted £190.17. ouch.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
You’re welcome.

I’ve had to replace a few batteries (in different cars!) recently and got them from Euro Car Parts using one of their discount codes for well under £100. It isn’t hard if you’re handy with a spanner.

Most independent garages would be happy to replace the battery and check the alternator. If you don’t want to swap it then I’d recommend get a few quotes from other garages.

mrdo

Jan 10, 2013
cheers.

do you know if losing the stereo code is still an issue these days if i fit it myself?

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Haven’t had a problem with radio codes, the problem is usually looking for a socket set to undo a nut at the bottom of the battery.

If I needed to do one on a Exeo I’d look on youtube for a guide. You’d be more likely to find one for the A4 which the Exeo is based on.

While you’re in there it would be worth cleaning out the scuttle drains that get blocked. I think there’re treads on this site about it, if not again there’s plenty of stuff online for A4.

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
i changed the battery in my exeo at Christmas, i needed to buy a long reach Allen key set to reach the clamp bolt there's not enough space to get a 1/2 inch socket down there. i bought them in Lidl same as These
radio code was not needed (the Pioneer stereo) but any radio station presets were lost

Derbian

Aug 12, 2013
Derby
You don't say which radio you have but the unit in mine is automatically coded to the car and doesn't need resetting if you remove the battery. You only need the code if you try fitting it to a different car.

njm

Apr 29, 2014
Scotland
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago i took my diesel exeo to the dealers for a free annual service as they'd cocked up the last one.

Ever since then the car has started sluggishly which has now resulted in a flat battery and the car failing to start. Up until now the car has started 100% first time and was in no way sluggish to start (which I now realise was the battery struggling).

Could the dealer have done anything during the service to have caused this or is it more likely that there's now a problem with either the alternator or the battery?

I tend to do a lot of short trips of around 15 minutes at the moment which I know won't be helping.

Any help gratefully received!

Back in 2014 i had my 143 in at a dealer for diagnostics under warranty , bank 1 sensor dpf , as i was 60 miles from home i just hung around waiting for the car after a lap or 2 of the car lot i wandered round the back of the workshop and saw my car sitting with headlamps on but not running ! anyway 45 mins later the workshop foreman informed me the car was ready but they had performed a " health check " and found the battery was faulty as it was showing low voltage on there test equipment they were willing to replace it there and then for £175 ! LOL

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members