Lazy Cupra Carwash?

ganticus

May 5, 2014
Got my Cupra last Wednesday.

Have a pressure washer and would like to spend no more than 10 mins or so every 1 or 2 weeks to give it a passable clean. (I’ve had it knackering my back with Autoglym SRP and HD wax, and Poorboys wheel cleaner!)

So I bought Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax but saw that it has lots of chemicals in it. I read somewhere that this may be no good for the diamond cut alloys as they need a ph neutral cleaner, otherwise they could turn out cloudy.

Does anyone have any product recommendations or should I just stick with Meguiars but cover up the alloys while treating?

Cheers in advance!

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Any decent car shampoo will be fine on the alloys (don't wash when they are hot though).

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
Any decent car shampoo will be fine on the alloys (don't wash when they are hot though).

If it is safe to stick your hands in it, then it's safe to put on the wheels. If there isn't a warning on the bottle about safety and washing off on contact, then any 'decent' paint or lacquer will handle it.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
So I bought Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax but saw that it has lots of chemicals in it. I read somewhere that this may be no good for the diamond cut alloys as they need a ph neutral cleaner, otherwise they could turn out cloudy.

The Megs Ultimate Wash and Wax will leave a reasonable gloss on your paintwork. Won't harm your alloys but may cause your door seals to start creaking.

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
If you are willing to spend a bit of money, get a ceramic coating put on the car. It will protect the paintwork for 3-5 years and it makes the car easier to clea, you also wont have to wax or polish the car for the life of the coating. A quick powerwash will knock off the majority of the dirt.

Chippo

Jan 2, 2008
Cardiff, WALES
If you are willing to spend a bit of money, get a ceramic coating put on the car. It will protect the paintwork for 3-5 years and it makes the car easier to clea, you also wont have to wax or polish the car for the life of the coating. A quick powerwash will knock off the majority of the dirt.

This!

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
How much are we talking? And does that include the alloys?

It depends on the detailer and the products that they use. My friend owns a company called Divine Detail (based in Surrey and Kent) and his charges start at around £300-350 for a new car with wax and goes upwards from there if you have a ceramic finish for body and wheels.

JimmiNai

Nov 29, 2016
I'm leasing my Cupra, but still want to keep it looking shiny, is detailing or a coating worth it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Im in the same position as you Jimmi, not owning the car. I get it polished and sealed twice a year by local guy and give it regular washes on the drive.

mrvanx

Feb 13, 2014
York
I just gave my 290 (black) a blast with the power washer (water only), came up nice and the wheels also came up nice aswell. Some stubborn muck is still there but I might try some of the demon shine (or is it demon foam or something).... A really OCD guy at work recommended it. Anyone used it?

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

bruno192cv

Apr 29, 2016
For my any decent manual car whasher service is good. 5min its done. Almost everyweekend or twice a month. Shynes like new

Enviado do meu SM-G360F através de Tapatalk

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
Give it a wash with your pressure washer, the product of your choice (shampoo), pressure washer again and then whilst wet give it a quick spray with Gyeon q2m wet coat and then hit that whilst still wet with a pressure washer. IF you're not into detailing or just haven't got the time you'll be impressed.

It's no substitute for a good polish and wax however it'll shine it up and give it a bit of protection with minimum effort.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members