noisey 3rd gear when coasting normal?

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Hi all, drove a 2004 LCR before buying the one I did and walked away because it had a whining noise when in 3rd gear (car in 3rd gear, no throttle or brakes applied) but did have an induction kit fitted and it did sound like was coming from that area under the bonnet. Dealer who was selling it said 'its just induction noise under coasting load', as it did go away if you dipped the clutch. My one has a similar noise but a lot quieter (and has a std airbox and filter).

So my question is, is this standard with the 1.8T 20V turbo BAM engine and 6 speed box on the LCR?

Another wonder is, noticed today, general smoking from exhaust despite engine up to temperature (just been driven a few miles, not oily, turbo seals knacked smoke, just like smoke on a cold morning start up, but its 9 degrees and it was up to temperature), does this seem normal for this engine?

many thanks

Trev.

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Noise is coming from gearbox , £10 o2m shim mod solves it. http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=394739

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Great info. cheers for the link. would have searched this info. but the search box isn't functioning properly at the mo (admins have been informed).

cheers

Trev.

LillianJacks

Jun 6, 2016
carseatresearch.com
You know, I think I'm having the same issue. I have an 06 2.3 5 sp. And it just started after an oil change at Walmart. I took it back and watched them re-do the process. It went away for a few miles, but has come back intermittently. I can't seem to narrow down the circumstances. It's very disturbing because it sounds like metal on metal. I also wondered if it was the throw out bearing.

I wondered if the fresh filter may have been difficult for the oil pump to draw through. But I think the oil pump is probably electrical and not mechanical, which would isolate it to some extent from the rpms.

I'm baffled by this. What oil are you using? And have you switched from organic to syn or back?

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Hi Sorry don't know anything about the 2.3 V5 engine myself but expect it's a different gearbox. Get your Gearbox code off the build sticker / inside your log book and Google / YouTube it to see if you can find anyone else with the same issue as well as waiting for a better reply on here.