Battery - electronics nightmare

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
Hi all,

I came back from holiday last week and when I picked up my car the battery was flat. It was one of those managed car parks where you leave the key and they park it for you.

I noticed when I first got to the car that the boot lid was left open, not wide open just like when you don`t close it properly. The key fob wouldn`t do anything (the LED comes on when you press it though). I thought it was because of the battery. The car park staff jump started it for me, the car fired up and we left hoping that it will charge itself up by the time we get home.

On the way home I noticed a few issues

bonnet open warning coming on randomly (I made sure it was closed)
boot lid open warning coming on randomly (as above)
interior light coming on/off & randomly flickering
central locking not working either on the fob or the button on the drivers door panel
e/windows not working
cruise control not working
parking sensors not working

the strange thing is that other things like sat nav/stereo, heated seats, mirrors were still working.

I took it to a garage on Saturday, they hooked it up to a laptop, said that they cleared some fault codes but they couldn`t get the above issues sorted. By Sunday morning the battery has gone completely flat. I left it during the day but put it on charger overnight. This morning the the car wouldn`t start, all it does is the dash beeps and flashes like a christmas tree.

This is where I am now, I appreciate that the battery might need replacing as it looks to be the original one in there in which case it is 6 years old. However I haven`t had a problem with it before.

My question is why hadn`t the faults disappear after the car was jump started? Usually even with the flat battery you just charge it and then it sorts itself out next time you start it.

Car park denies all responsibility, they say get a garage prove it is their fault, otherwise they don`t want to know. They reckon the car had an issue before.

As a first step I am looking at getting a Exide Premium 096TE EA722 - anyone knows if this will fit?

I don`t know where I stand (legally) with the car park, surely they hold some responsibility if you leave a car there that works and a week later it doesn`t. Especially as they moved it.

Secondly, anyone has any idea what could have gone wrong and how expensive this could get. I get the feeling the car park will not compensate me at all so it will come out of my pocket.

the car is a 2011 Tdi 143 sport tech estate 76k miles

jasons76

May 9, 2016
i wonder if water has got in somewhere,we had some pretty heavy rain last week,have you checked to see if the bulkhead is clear as there are little drain holes which get blocked under the battery and water fills up and and then comes into the car,i think there are some modules and electrics under the carpet which could have got wet.

S70DGE

Feb 15, 2011
Halifax west Yorkshire
I agree with Jason sounds like the convenience control unit has got full of water you need to peel back the carpet in the passenger footwell and check if its dry or soddened regarding your battery if your drainage holes were blocked and its rained heavy the battery could have been sat in cold rain water for over a week which would have killed it off it happened on my 59 plate ST

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
thanks gents! I take a look tonight.

I also own an MX-5 so I`m all too familiar with blocked drainage holes and soaking carpets...

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
i had similar issue with the exeo over Christmas
christmas eve the dash lit up like a christmas tree, nursed it home and when i shut it off, it failed to restart.
over christmas checked all fuses and connections etc, and the car would start on some attempts, but it was intermittent at best. cleared the faults using a obd scanner
general consensus was a dying battery (twas the original and 5.5years old)
fitted a new battery, still intermittently starting, and lots of dash lights, speedo and rev counter intermittently working while running, and i ran the new battery flat trying to start after checking various connections.
took the battery out and charged untill fully charged, reinstalled the battery the next day, car started, but dash lights still on. drove to independent vw garage.
garage said all they done was clear the faults, check a few connections, but the car has been running trouble free since, so i'm guessing the new battery may have been sitting a while before i bought it, and needed a charge before i fitted it as i had already checked the connections :confused:

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
I hope the new battery will solve it. It should have been delivered today but it is delayed unfortunately. The plan is to charge it up 100% before I fit it in the car, apparently they come half charged most of the time anyway

fingers crossed...

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
fingers crossed, i would recommend getting the faults cleared when you get the new battery fitted too, hopefully eliminate any risk

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
The battery tray had almost 2 inches of rain water, so when I took the old one out I poked a screwdriver through the drain hole, so at least is is cleared now. The new battery arrived now, charged it up fully before I put it in the car. It starts OK now, but all the electronics faults that I had before are still there.

The car is going back to the auto electronics place tomorrow :(

jasons76

May 9, 2016
remove the big oval bung that is under the battery,you can reach it from underneath otherwise the battery tray will fill up again as your screwdriver hole will block up again, i removed the big bung and have never had any more trouble with it filling up.i would say the modules under the carpet have got soaked I fear replacement will be the only option but make sure you dry the area thoroughly.

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
remove the big oval bung that is under the battery,you can reach it from underneath otherwise the battery tray will fill up again as your screwdriver hole will block up again, i removed the big bung and have never had any more trouble with it filling up.i would say the modules under the carpet have got soaked I fear replacement will be the only option but make sure you dry the area thoroughly.
Jason you were spot on - unfortunately. Pulled the carpet up, there was loads of water there.

Found the control unit, it is completely fried so now I'm looking for a new one. 140 quid seems to be the going rate on ebay. If I get one will it need pairing to the car?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

jasons76

May 9, 2016
i am not sure to be honest i havent had to replace one myself i guess it will it if controls the locking then i guess it will have to be paired to the car,maybe someone else can shed some light on this or maybe have a look on the audi forums as the water ingress problem affects the A4 and A6 models of a similar age,but at least you have found your fault,but dont forget to remove that big bung from under the battery you will have no more issues then.

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
So I went to my local breakers yard, they have a B7 A4, they pulled the comfort control unit out of it, but the OE number doesn`t match my car. Mine is 8E0959433CQ, the one from the Audi is 8E0959433CA

I`m guessing it could be because my car is an estate and the Audi is a saloon but not sure.

I decided not to take it as the guy would not take it back if it doesnt work. Is there any way to find out if it could work in my car? The breaker wants £50 for it which is a very good price but only if it can be paired to mine.

Also, can anyone recommend a garage in the North East (Darlington / Aycliffe / Bishop area) that does this type of thing once I find the part?

Last edited:

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
Are you sure the CCM is beyond drying out and cleaning the gunge from the contacts? in my experience the wiring loom suffers more then the CCM, it can be taken out of its box and dryed in the airing cupboard then the contacts need cleaning if they are green.
If the tracks are blown off the board then I will agree its fried!
As jas says, take the bung out, TAKE THE BUNG OUT!!! its so easy and can save so much expense and frustration, some say the fumes will kill you, after 13 years (had Passats) of bung free driving I am still alive (had a few floods to teach me the way to go)
This is the CCM, looks pretty fried to me. The cable ends look cleanish, minimal amount of oxidation. I was going to put some wd40 contact cleaner spray and then fingers crossed...

SEAT wants £408 for the part and £100 labour by the way.
0ce8d49925f1175ac74254c6bf26d1aa.jpg

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
I take it you have looked on eBay to see if anyone is breaking an exeo
Yeah I called about 15 breakers on Friday 3 exeo and the rest B7 A4 avant, they either no longer have the CCM, or don't know and "will get back to me". Not holding my breath. I might have to bite the bullet and fork out £140, I was just quietly hoping that I could get away with paying less

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
So in the end I found a seller from Latvia who only charged $80 shipped or the correct CCM. I bought it, fitted it and now the car is almost back to normal. Windows, mirrors, parking sensor all work fine.

I have the following issues remaining

key fob buttons don't work
turning the key in the door cylinder only opens the drivers door. I then have to put the key in the ignition and press the door release button otherwise the alarm goes off
Airbag sign on the dash all the time since I removed the passenger seat and disconnected the airbag

If I was to purchase one of these:

http://vag-diagnostics.com/sales.html

could I fix all the above with it?

S70DGE

Feb 15, 2011
Halifax west Yorkshire
Regarding the key fob not working this will happen if the battery is disconnected it happened on mine all did was put the key in ignition turn the ignition on then off take the key out then pres either the lock or unlock button then it should re sync itself and work :)also if you put the ignition on while the seat was disconnected this will make the airbag light stay on you will need diagnostic equipment to turn it off

Last edited:

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
I read some forums and it appears that changing the CCM is a different scenario. I tried what you described, locking and unlocking while key in ignition etc, there are a few variations of this syncing process. Neither worked unfortunately, this is only for when you change the car battery or the batteries in the fob.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.