Common Mk2 Leon Leaking issues

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
Hi Guys,

Just upgraded my old mk1 cupra and bought a 2010 MK2 Leon Cupra. Drove through an absolute monsoon on the M25 yesterday doing about 70 (probably as wet as i've ever driven in in this country) and i've got a flooded drivers footwell today. I did do a 5 hour journey in the rain yesterday so it was on wet roads all day. It may have rained a bit overnight i'm not sure.

The Mk1 used to suffer from the notorious leaking door cards which i fixed by replacing the rubber sealant strip under edge of the door cards.

Does the MK2 suffer the same issue?

I've read a thread about the rear washer hose breaking where it goes through the bulkhead and emptying it's contents into the footwell when you use the rear washer, however i haven't used the rear washer and the footwell was not wet yesterday afternoon as far as i can remember.

Anything else i should be looking at?

Last edited:

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
Ok so after doing a bit more reading i've decided not to try and fix the rear washer hose just yet, if it is that of course, instead just to ensure it cannot be that i'm going to disconnect the pipework for the rear washer from the washer fluid reservoir and fit a pipe that just releases the washer fluid from the bottom of the car. Obviously this is temporary but will enable me to not accidentally use the rear washer and make the problem worse. Also if it keeps getting wet i'll know it's not the rear washer.

I hope out of all the things it could be it's not this as it sounds like this could be the most lengthy fix. Certainly don't want to have to rip the dash out on a car i've owned for three days.....

I'm hoping worst case it's the door card or the scuttle drain holes are blocked. I'm also guessing there is holes in the bulkhead that are blocked off with rubber blanks like in most cars. I guess one or more of those could have come loose or be missing. Had to do both of these on my old mk1 cupra and my mk2 gti. The symptoms are certainly the same.

Last edited:

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
Ok so today in the rain I cracked the blowers on and the windscreen immediately steamed up. Says to me that water is leaking into the ventilation system. It cleared up as soon as u out the ac on and came back when it was turned off. Did I hear someone say mk2 leon have a problem with leaking pollen filters? This could quite easily be my problem. I guess if it gets into the vents it could easily end up in the footwell?

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Sure someone will be along with more advice but the only leak I have is the very common leak from the black plastic area on the top of the bonnet that houses the front washer jets... it gets in there and makes the bonnet lining go all mouldy and can leak onto the top of the engine. Not seen any posts where anyone has managed to fix it 100% at the dealers or DIY.

My doors seem to drain some water when you open then after heavy downpour but luckily seem fine and I never get any steaming up inside (touch wood!)

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
Yeah I've got that too. Bit of a mouldy engine sound proofing but not too bad. Definitely thinking this is cabin/pollen filter at the mo. Loads of moist air blowing out the vents on wet days. Even on heat they actually steam the windscreen up rather than clearing it.

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
Ok so today was the first time I've take the car out in heavy rain since the day I bought it. Again I've got a footwell full of water. The car seems to be fine sitting heavy rain. It only seems to leak when I drive it I heavy rain. Coukd the water be getting in from somewhere lower down on the bulk head or underneath?

Any ideas greatly appreciated

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
Hi mate. Not yet. Although I haven't really driven in much heavy rain. It has leaked a little in the lighter rain I've driven in but it's mainly dry.

I am about to pull the carpets out and drive it without them in for a while until I figure out where it's leaking from. I've a hunch it may be coming through the ventilation systems but not sure.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.