Problems with Leon cupra r?

phatsam262

I am looking to buy a leon cupra r 225 and just wanted to know the common problems to look out for?

Any advice would be great, cheers

Shmoo

Feb 8, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
hi there. The main common fault that I know of is the doors seal can perish and leak water into the footwells. check that the carpet is not damp and/or that it does not smell damp inside the car. The 02M gearboxes can have worn out bearings even at lower mileage and 2nd gear synchromesh can sometimes be worn out. The gearbox can be expensive to fix if faulty but don't let this put you off. These cars are very good and well built in my opinion. my advice would be give the car a good test drive with the radio off and make sure everything feels nice and tight and it would definitely have to have good service history to prove it's been looked after and a pile off invoices is a bonus. good luck in finding the right one.

Last edited:

phatsam262

Thanks for a quick reply.
I am having a look at one tonight (2004 with 75k on the clock) and just wanted to check what to look for. He has put on the post it had the door leaks which is the same for any leon but has fixed them. Thanks for pointing out the gear box problem i will have a look at it. I am taking my mechanic so i hope he will pick up on most things. I suppose as long as it has full service history and receipts for all work done then it should be an ok buy. I Hope!!!

Jun 25, 2012
Manchester
On the digital climate control, hold the recirculate button and press the fan up button, this will show 1 then press the recirculate button again, given the owner hasn't deleted them, this should show any fault codes on the car, if there are any write them down and search on here for them

B1rdy

Jan 30, 2012
North West England
On the digital climate control, hold the recirculate button and press the fan up button, this will show 1 then press the recirculate button again, given the owner hasn't deleted them, this should show any fault codes on the car, if there are any write them down and search on here for them

Wow, never knew this. Gonna try mine to see if there's any faulty stored. Cheers

phatsam262

That checklist for LCR/LC newbies is realy usefull thanks. Aslong as it doesnt have any major faults hopefully i will be driving it home later :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members