The Diesel Tax

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I was curious that part of the strategy is that older, pre 2005, diesel cars will be penalised?

I didn't think there was much better emissions filtering control on the newer diesels; Is there?

Last edited:

craig_v520v

Oct 5, 2014
plus.google.com
I dont think it will happen tbh m8 . How can they make diesel owners pay more when it was the government telling everyone to buy diesel not that long ago . And petrols may be more economical now but they still cant match the power torque and mpg of a diesel . Ill be sticking with diesel

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I believe it will happen, they will start making it more expensive to run a diesel to get them off the roads. They will be encouraged by potential voters and that will be where their decisions will rest. They will fall back on it was not THIS government that encouraged diesel ownership.

And as this morning proved politicians will reverse promises when it suits them.

Like you I love driving my TDI but eventually we will become society's pariahs.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
I was curious that part of the strategy is that older, pre 2005, diesel cars will be penalised?

I didn't think there was much better emissions filtering control on the newer diesels; Is there?

New diesels have particulate filters plus adblue to reduce NOx. The 2005 cut off is due to that being the date when EURO IV came in so anything after then has lower limits for everything.

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
Where we work we sell Adblue and its quite frankly astounding the number of customers we are getting now coming into buy it. but not only that the vast amount have no idea where it goes or that they needed it in the first place! This is worrying are dealers just selling diesels now without giving people the full picture of ownership?

I remember when i bought my last car (also my first and only diesel to date) The salesman mentioned in 2007 "oh yeah its got a DPF filter so it will be super clean"

what he didnt mention that when it clogs up it is super expensive to fix and pretty much overrides the cost of keeping the car!

I loved my diesel focus. it had good grunt and great economy, But after owning it for nearly 10 years the cost of maintenance and potential future problems. Added to the turning tide in popular and political opinion it decided it was time to jump ship.

Im quite pissed off about any potential diesel scrappage scheme incoming as i simply had to change cars asap. so ill miss out wheras the current owner of my old car (a friend) might get more for it than he paid me!

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I've got 2 TDI's and one will def go if I get offered a scrappage but doubt I'll get it as I think they will target those living in the densest population areas.

The DPF doesn't help when they can be taken out let still look present to the MOT. That needs to be tightened up.

Still want to know why our government can't get VW to cough up like the billions america got.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Typically the government will legislate as from a point in the near future for car registrations 'as from etc'. This is highlighted from the significant VED changes this month (ball park £140 across the board for most vehicles). It does not of course affect anything registered pre 31 March.

There is no real need to legislate against pre 2005 cars as although there are plenty still on the road, there are rapidly becoming a tiny minority. I think the average life expectancy of a car nowadays is 8 years.

For local authorities it may be a different story though and who knows what they will do banning this, this and that.

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
This broad stroke for lumping everyone into the same tax bracket for road tax is ridiculous. If i was campaigning in the new election id be promising to get that changed back. Its unfair to lump very efficient small engine owners in with polluting lumps.

On the upside 2nd hand cars up to april 2017 are going to become VERY desirable.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
The things you can find out...

Just 15 of those supertankers that carry everything around the world create more pollution than all the cars in world put together.

In 2007 there were 4,295 of them.

Wow.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
The things you can find out...

Just 15 of those supertankers that carry everything around the world create more pollution than all the cars in world put together.

In 2007 there were 4,295 of them.

Wow.

Scary isn't it? Spend time in the middle East and see how polluting everything is. I worked at a dairy that was not connected to the grid and ran off diesel generators, huge things that ran 24 7 chucking out shite. They were on those for over a year.
Apparently a few years back the entire F1 season used the same amount of fuel that a 747 did in one flight, London to New York.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
This broad stroke for lumping everyone into the same tax bracket for road tax is ridiculous. If i was campaigning in the new election id be promising to get that changed back. Its unfair to lump very efficient small engine owners in with polluting lumps.

On the upside 2nd hand cars up to april 2017 are going to become VERY desirable.

Do smaller engined cars drive on different roads? Ones that don't need repairing, or something? It's like charging people to go into a pub, but the ones who don't want to drink much get to pay less for entrance, while the big drinkers pay more. Everyone's using the same roads, so why not tax everyone the same? :shrug:

As for cars being more desirable because they save you £100 or so a year, I don't think so. At least if they are that much more desirable, then it's only going to be people who think that £100 a year is such a big saving they need to drive an older car. And even then people who drive a larger engined / more powerful higher emissions car will pay more for a pre 2017 car, once you get the first year payment out of the way. Essentially, a second hand car with higher emissions will be more costly to tax if it's a pre 2017 than post 2017.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
For some strange reason there are plenty out there where VED is a big deal.

A friend of mine works at the local Vauxhall dealership and recalled a customer who preferred the Vauxhall equivalent but chose the Ford instead because it was £20 VED rather than the Vauxhall's £30.

Go figure...........

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
VED has always either been based on power or pollution so based on the "everyone uses the road equally" theory its been unfair for decades. Dont forget though that your Road tax doesnt even cover your local area. your council tax takes care of that.

BUT i see where your coming from.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
If this is of any interest or concern to you:

On Friday May 5th, the Government may be issuing proposals to clean up emissions from diesels.

Following their loss in the High Court to delay these proposals, it seems that applying new taxation will be their main weapon against hard working drivers, small businesses and hauliers. Remember, only 10% of NOx comes from diesel cars, but along with van drivers they will be expected to pay a punishing toxic tax.

As there is now to be a General election on June 8th, we need to put pressure on the existing Government and candidates as to where they stand on driving issues and in particular diesel solutions.

https://www.fairfueluk.com/GE2017/election-poll-2017.php

If you want to help...

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Now that the general election is on the way and I am sure that the Tories will get back in with an increased majority, a diesel tax could be a nice and easy soft target.

Austerity is going to pinch harder when they will achieve their solid mandate and push through increased measures both in spending cuts and raising revenue. Apart from the triple lock on pensions which I am sure they will withdraw, this could be a nice one for them to raise revenue.

The planned increase in NIC on the self employed was withdrawn but I bet if the planned election wasn't coming up this year early, then it would have gone through despite the negative media backlash it raised. I wouldn't be surprised if it did go through on the next budget.

Directors of small companies are already feeling the pinch with the dividend tax and it will only get worse when the allowance is fully withdrawn. Next it will be the self employed imo. Employees could also be a target too but with Automatic enrolment kicking in big time in the next few years (increased employee rates deducted) I don't think your average Jo could take it.

The Tories will want to talk about Brexit up until June but the underlying pressure is the economy and growth. GDP was down from 0.7% the previous quarter to 0.3% to March 2017 and below market expectations. For all the tax raising exercises and benefit cuts, the Tories and this country needs growth at a better rate than it currently is. The flip side to this is inflation which is already above the target rate of 2% at 2.3% so it is not looking great and there are already mutterings about bank of england base rate increases. We all know what that one does to our mortgages and it will only get worse.

By far a party political broadcast or doom mongering but I feel it is tough future times for our economy and everyone else in it. I really hope I am wrong.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.