Black LCR 1M stage 2. nurburgring!

arb79

Old but never too old
Oct 18, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yeah that's the things! You reckon they come attached to the discs?! What ring you on about, Nurberg ring? That's cool I fancy that one day.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
They came with the pads for the rear. If it's the same thing you're on about you can see them in this pic.

image.jpg1_zpsl2awjpn4.jpg

And yep, nurburgring, can't wait.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
had a very productive but knackering day today, i can feel every day of the 43 years i've been on this planet!

a few months back at wifes work place someone scraped the rear bumper while it was parked and of course it goes without saying didnt leave any kind of note or anything.

now i'm no detailer but do have a rotary so thought i'd give it a once over. still there but quite a bit better.

before

20150406_112301_zpsaafphidc.jpg

after

20150406_113632_zpsjffdsu6q.jpg

then i made the fatal mistake of going over the whole car!

one thing i dont understand is, i went over the car last year and after washing it today and looking over it, i've got plenty swirls back!

one of the rear doors before

20150406_114402_zpsnpwmjj2n.jpg

after

20150406_115241_zpszm3ywavc.jpg

front wing before

20150406_120837_zps1qmr3aac.jpg

same place after

20150406_121303_zpsvfqopt1k.jpg

front bumper was somehow marked at some point

20150406_134726_zpsdkqc6aqr.jpg

same angle after. still visible from certain angles but much better

20150406_135008_zpsfyin33l6.jpg

then some general afters once it was waxed with some P21s (now known as R222)

20150406_143551_zps0w1brw6h.jpg

20150406_143611_zpsdy4dfnkl.jpg

20150406_143703_zpsx059n5o2.jpg

what i really liked was, about half an hour after i finished, my brother came round. he had no idea i had been slaving away on the car. the first thing he said to me was "what polish do you use on your car?" :funk:

anyway, any detailers out there, i'd love some advice. is the paint on these really soft? i dont really understand what happed because last year i had to use some menzerna polishes with some cut to it. today i just used final finish which has minimal cut to it but well, you can see the result above. confused.

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Looks great mate lovely motor also you've done a cracking job on the detail.

Daniel_M is also excellent with detailing he's your man regards any questions you have.

Cheers

Craig

irf

Feb 5, 2014
minor update, the 'list' is slowly getting smaller.

just had both track rods and ball joints replaced for some lemforder stuff. alignment then done and then because i had had an o ring replaced a few months back in one of the pipes for the aircon i just had the aircon gas recharged. nice cool air now :)

got home and had this waiting for me...

20150422_121705_zpsgzjt5cts.jpg

its a biggie. waiting for a few pipes and then hoping to get this done next week along with some other bits.

LCR

Bwwaaaaapp
Jul 3, 2014
Fife
Just fitted my wellycooler too, it's a good job to do if you give yourself a good day at it.
Remember to make brackets and get some M8 bolts if u haven't already done so, I had to make a trip to diy shop half way through doing it! Doh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irf

Feb 5, 2014
so was due to go to a mates today to get the fmic fitted along with some other stuff but he had issues so couldnt go. thought i'd give it a try.

as mentioned before the forge intercooler was leaking. when i bought it off a member here i was assured it had been pressure tested. not sure how much pressure it was tested under but when i was at badger5 for a map, when he done a smoke test at half a psi, it showed the intercooler leaking.

here it is before

20150429_115547_zps8cibntrc.jpg

taken off and next to my wellycooler

20150429_132425_zpsbn1rkvx4.jpg

now because i had the forge crash bar this made things a lot easier for me. i just had to get some brackets from wickes, drill a couple of holes and cut down to size. i didnt have to touch the bracing behind the intercooler.

20150429_135538_zps7wzycqq6.jpg

and all mounted and ready to go.

20150429_142310_zps1kavc3uj.jpg

the other day i went in to halfords to pick up an 11mm ring spanner as i wanted to change the brake fluid and walked out with their 150 piece socket set! had to hide it from the mrs for a little while but its been very useful already.

20150427_154134_zpsxm7brt7s.jpg

changed the brake fluid for rbf660 which you can see above. didnt do a brilliant job as the pedal was longer then before. a friend was buying a car up in leicester so i took him today and got the brakes bled properly from my friend up there. was a little paranoid about blowing a hose but all good!

thats it, i'm "ready" for the 'Ring! going in 3 weeks :scary:

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Had a very productive day yesterday!

Been paranoid for a while about oil temps, not so much on the road but when I get on track. A good few knowledgeable people had advised me of getting a larger then standard water/oil heat exchanger. The theory is that the water will bring the oil temperature up quicker but also recover from higher temps quicker.

After doing a lot of searching I found that the heat exchanger from the audi b5 s4 would fit with a little bit of grinding. None of the guides showed any pictures though.

Reading on here and other forums a 13 row mocal oil cooler seemed the way to go so I did the only reasonable thing I could do. I bought both!

So went to a mates yesterday, got the bumper off and then went on a tangent! The fmic was only held at the top so put something on the bottom as well.

20150515_103229_zpshfffawpl.jpg

Then we got the oil filter off and then the standard oil cooler. Here is the standard one next to the s4 one.

20150515_115542_zpslpdigqyh.jpg

Before the s4 cooler could go in though there was a bit that needed grounding off to make room for the cooler. I took a picture in case someone else goes through the same as me, searching everywhere but not finding any pics.its the bit just above the bolt.

1f83b696-2efa-480d-9087-0d83255e4c4b_zpsiehzaq1m.jpg

Anyway, put that in, new sandwich plate and new oil filter then located the mocal cooler.

20150515_134654_zps5tfoku2b.jpg

Stuck the pipes on, had a play with various routes, settled on one, put some oil in the cooler and then connected it all up.

20150515_135640_zpseev9ufmt.jpg

Went for a little rag, noticed the coolant temp came up very quickly and also dragged the oil temp up with it so that's good. After a little ragging did get the oil temp up to about 100 degrees c but there's only so much you can do on the road so will have to see how it copes on track. I did notice though that in general oil temps seemed lower then before.

Anyway, now I'm 'ring ready! Going on Thursday, will hopefully have a gopro to borrow off a mate.

Last edited:

irf

Feb 5, 2014
right, got back from the nurburgring yesterday, what an epic long weekend that was!

S4 oil cooler/heat exchanger and mocal cooler worked well, first couple of laps the temp didnt go above 117 i think. as i got on it harder i think the highest peak was 126 C so well chuffed with that.

couple of issues i did and do have though.

the traction control, even with it 'switched off' you could feel it working away in third and even some fourth gear exits. was painful at times. the poor thing didnt know what hit it going round the karussell:happy:

will get an uprated rear anti roll bar to get the car in to bends quicker. shes a bit heavy.

the michelin supersports coped well, quite impressed with them especially being a road tyre.

think i've got some manifold or downpipe leak, anyone know if this is common once the car goes on track?

PICS.

ive got loads but wont bore you with all of them but heres a selection.

IMG_3620_zps8tfvrzfr.jpg

page_877869-73e3aeea52b0a7bfeb5c614dcdb46f2d_zpsi3o9dxh5.jpg

17-18h-IMG_8012_zpshrftiebh.jpg

page_876647-b6ec6591f8acbd03f681f83ba5ebf494_zpsvyqyuyar.jpg

865666-8ff9b5d3ab2014361c6e2c345179a911_zpssawfeqfs.jpeg

LAPTIMES

i went out there hoping for a sub 9. i got a 9.03 when i went out on my own and am very very happy with that cos i know how hard i pushed it. i do have that on camera but a friend has the sd card so whenever i get that i'll upload it. i do though, have a 9 min 11 which i did with a passenger, thats uploading right now and will put it up shortly. feel free to criticise, i welcome it.

and please do comment especially on the leaky manifold/downpipe if you know it as a common issue.

Last edited:

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Hello mate how much were the rear calipers if you don't mind me asking? I'm sending my fronts off to be rebuilt and refurbished and if it's not mega money I'll just buy new rears. Car looks sweet by the way.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Interesting that you kept the oil to water exchanger as im planning to delete this and just join coolant pipes with thermo sandwich plate. I normally back off when the oil starts going up into the 130's as it cant be lubricating as well as it should
Nice little vid of some ring action too (although that sounds so wrong)
Traction control isn't the issue on track but ESP, cuts in way too early and cant be turned off just runs in a died down mode but can still really upset the cars balance sometimes.
Ive looked into coding it out of the ABS module and tufty did put a link up on how as it was commonly done on the r32 racers

irf

Feb 5, 2014
interesting to hear about the ESP, was painful at times.

my car generally gets driven for a short commute to work by the mrs so a bigger oil water heat exchanger makes even more sense cos it drags the temperature up quicker as well as recovers a bit quicker. obviously having done that and the mocal at the same time i couldnt say which is doing what but my oil temp went no higher then 126 C, in fact my quickest lap didnt actually get as high as that.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Right, so I have a trackday at castle Combe booked on Friday. Not gonna go mad, it's more of a social thing with friends and tbh it's a little bit of an anti climax after the nurburgring.

One thing that was apparent at the 'Ring was that it took a lot to get the old girl turned in to the corner. Cue a rear anti roll bar. Phoned awesome, they didn't have the whiteline in stock but offered a pretty sweet deal on a neuspeed 28 mm. Because I don't think I'm gonna uprate the front anti roll bar I thought it may be too much. Phoned DPM, had one in stock, phoned them in the afternoon, the damn thing was delivered next morning!

Off work today so fitted it.

IMG-20150616-WA0000_zpshbkbteo6.jpeg

Been for a very brief drive, I had it on the middle setting and the difference is pretty big! May be too much though. I'm gonna leave it for now until I get a decent drive and see how it goes, I can slacken it if needed.

The next thing was brakes. The ds2500s are good but I had a bit of a pad pick up problem after the ring. Some gentle driving seems to have sorted it but I know Combe will be harder on brakes. Done some research and the rear pads from a volvo S60R are the same pads for our front brembos. The castle Combe trackday is with a bunch of volvo owners and I happen to know someone selling some carbotech XP10s. Result! They also had more meat then the ds2500s that have done one ring trip and maybe 3k road miles. Result!

20150616_130706_zpss0rhl5d6.jpg

This next one is interesting and I've not seen it done on a leon.

Brake cooling. I thought of getting some brake ducting, route it through from the foglights and cable tie it somewhere but I wasn't sure of how reliably I could get something like that to fit and stay there for however long it needed to.

I found that some audi TT owners have fitted the brake ducts from the TT RS. Having a look online I also found that these TT RS ducts would not only fit the mk2 TT but also the mk1. And having read that the LCR has the same wishbones as the TT I thought, let's take a risk and see.

The hole is already there on the wishbone but with a very small amount of cutting with the dremel to avoid the drop link it fits!

20150616_121909_zpso3lm4fcq.jpg

20150616_124744_zpsnc5avqkb.jpg

Theres a spacer that comes with it, shown on the left for comparison. I cut that in half and fitted both ends, hard to explain but a pic always helps.

20150616_124708_zpsnbdfxc55.jpg

The other half fit underneath. The plastics flexible so I suppose it could have fitted without.

How the air will hit it underneath. Love the fact that it's an OEM mod.

20150616_131235_zpshytyfssi.jpg

Obviously it doesn't stick out quite as much as the pic shows, the cars angled up and the cameras low but you get a decent idea.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Washed and waxed, ready for Combe tomorrow. Pretty chuffed with how she's looking so thought I'd share

20150618_122717_zpsikt7tcvo.jpg

20150618_115532_zpsiunstb08.jpg

Gave the exhaust a bit of polish as well.

20150618_113918_zpsbwqnuaqv.jpg

Funny thing about the exhaust, it was all sooted up inside but after a few laps of the nurburgring was completely clean on the inside. Presumably high temps just burned the soot off and even made it a little louder. Gone back to normal after a few road miles.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise