Old eBay cable on mk2 leon?

gard_ian8

Mar 5, 2007
Hi All.

I had a cable for my 04 plate leon cupra which i could use to get the fault codes and a few things. I have just bought a 62 plate leon mk2 and tried to use the same cable, but I am getting an error "no response from controller." I have installed the USB drivers from various sources from the web and the test works while selecting com1 etc but none of the modules connect. Is the older cable compatible with my new car? I am reading about HEX and CAM but I dont know what cable I bought way back then. I was using VCDS lite

all I want is to activate the needle sweep and see if you can set up one click to lock all doors, fold up mirrors and close windows fully without having to keep the button pressed.
I installed the auto reflex module on the old car to do this but hoping its available as standard on the new

Any advice please?
Cheers

gard_ian8

Mar 5, 2007
There isn't any markings at all on the cable. If I was to buy another cheap one off eBay would it be the same? As in not work?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

gard_ian8

Mar 5, 2007
The cable has ODB-II printed on it. is this cable going to work with my newer car? or will i need to buy another cable from ebay. This one must be about 6-7 year old

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
OK, so it looks like you were just using a generic OBDII cable and not any type of VCDS cable (knock-off or otherwise). That fits in with you mentioning in the first post that you were using VCDS Lite which can be used with most generic K-Line OBDII cables, however VCDS software functionality is limited with the generic cables.

As per most modern cars these days, your new car will be mostly CANBUS so the generic OBDII K-Line cable you have is unlikely to work, as you already seem to have discovered.

Your options are to get a genuine VCDS HEX-V2 cable which are £225, or look at software that will run on a mobile phone such as Carista or OBDeleven which come in at around £50 after paying for the software and a wireless OBD dongle. Being a genuine VCDS cable owner myself, I'm afraid I can't condone the use of knock-off the VCDS cables.

Whichever option you go with, just be sure to take a backup of any settings before you start messing with them. At least then you can just revert back to the original settings if you manage to completely screw something up which is so easy to do with these type of powerful coding and adaptation tools if you don't really know what you're doing.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.