Tools to replace LCR Front Brake Pads

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
All I'd do is stick a spanner on the edge of the pad, and gently tap the spanner with something to push the pad out the back of the caliper, should come over the edge of the disc easy enough with some gentle persuasion.
The biggest arse pain is getting all the pistons back in enough to slide the new pads in.. (for which i used 2 or 3 spanners in some weird configuration!)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Ok managed to do that side but was a right arse getting that pin out, and one of the pads, proper welded in.

Now I've come to do the other side after having tea and the top bit is flat, not sure if I'm going to be able to get it out at all, being hitting it more and it's just warping worse.

Grrr.

top bit of what sorry fella?

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Sorry didn't explain that well at all.

Taken me and the neighbour (retired mechanic of 20 years) almost 2 hours to get the driver side done.

1st) Top pin was flattened on the end you have to hit which meant it was a bit wider than the whole, took a hell of a lot of hammering to get it to come out.
2nd) pad on inside was stuck, at first he thought it was rusted but that wasn't it, the caliper had like a raised bit which meant the pad was really stuck in hard so had to use a combination of wiggling, hammering and generally lots of force that shouldn't have been needed)
3rd) getting a pad back into that part of caliper due to the raised bit of caliper was a very tight fit.
4th) had to file down the flattened pin to get it back in.

I think I'll be replacing the pins next time, though I'm tempted to take it to a garage next time so they can have the joy of fixing it. If I hadn't needed the car tomorrow for work I'd have given up ages ago.

Anyway, it's done now. I can see how it should be a really simple process, just a few factors added up to make it take 4 hours. Though I did eat tea in that time too.

Beer now, knackered!

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Really? wow. Maybe not then!

£20+VAT from brakesint.com

If you go to the Pad section then click on Associated it lists a fitting kit which is basically 2 pins and a retaining clip.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Really? wow. Maybe not then!

£20+VAT from brakesint.com

If you go to the Pad section then click on Associated it lists a fitting kit which is basically 2 pins and a retaining clip.

Just looking at these pins and it says 'ONLY FITS 22mm THICK DISCS'. Has anyone bought these and fitted them to the LCR calipers?

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Just looking at these pins and it says 'ONLY FITS 22mm THICK DISCS'. Has anyone bought these and fitted them to the LCR calipers?

Well it turns out they don't in case anyone was thinking about getting them. They are about 5mm too short. I'm going to send back for a refund :)

I couldn't get one of the existing pins to budge - spent an hour with penetrating oil, hammers and punches but it wouldn't move. So taking in to a garage so they can have a go!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.