Replacing fog lamp/bulb in Mk2 Leon

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
I have broken one of my front fog lights with a nice big rock, so a replacement was necessary. The book says it's a dealer job at £120 or so.
I bought the lamp for £69.94 (+VAT) and set about doing the job myself.
As there was another thread about replacing the bulbs, I knew it could be done, and here are the results.

Looking straight on to the front of the car, there is a screw in the very bottom corner of the honeycomb grill.
DSCF1044.jpg

Remove that screw.
DSCF1045.jpg

The cover then twists off from that corner, I used a plastic lever tool to remove it, but a flat screwdriver would work (just put some tape around the end to protect the paint).
DSCF1046.jpg

Then remove the three screws shown with the white arrows below.
The blue arrow shows the adjuster screw.
DSCF1047.jpg

The lamp then simply lifts out.

I am replacing the damaged lamp, but follow the same process to replace just the bulb.
Un-plug the cable, a small screwdriver may be required.
Release the wire strap holding the back of the lamp assembly on. The bulb (H3) is held in place with another wire spring.
DSCF1049.jpg

DSCF1050.jpg

Assembly is then just the reverse process
DSCF1057.jpg

The whole job took about 15 minutes including taking the photo's.

It’s also worth noting that when the drivers side lamp is out, it gives some limited access to the washer bottle and horn.
DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg

Last edited:

t-"RACY"

AR-CoolC,

Very detailed thread with photos too. Should be used as a "Sticky" for future reference in my opinion.

Tracy

LuvItRuff

I've been outside this afternoon replacing all my bulbs with higher power versions (Osram Night Breakers).
Very noticeable difference in colour, will be trying them out on the road later.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation and, more importantly for me, the pics.
You made a fiddly job much more bearable.

The side lights and main beam were a complete ****-fest though!
You need a pair of tentacles to get in there :)

markm74

Fog Lights

Hi,

Did you get aftermarked lights or from Seat?

Both mine were cracked within a couple or weeks of getting my FR :(. Strange thing is there is no visable damage to lenses.

Don't know if it may be a known fault?

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Hi,

Did you get aftermarked lights or from Seat?

Both mine were cracked within a couple or weeks of getting my FR :(. Strange thing is there is no visable damage to lenses.

Don't know if it may be a known fault?

Not sure, but the lamp on the passenger side is now cracked and there is no sign of impact :shrug: And I hardly ever use the front fog lights, only if I need the rear one on.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Nice. Always appeciate good guides on the forum.

I've asked admin to make a sticky in the FAQ library :)

Last edited:

c.r.a.i.g

Great guide, had the same happen to me a couple of months ago, except it wasnt a stone it was a bat!

c20kah

Really appreciate this post :) Just got a crack on my drivers side fog lamp & this will definitely come in handy now :-D thanks!

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Really appreciate this post :) Just got a crack on my drivers side fog lamp & this will definitely come in handy now :-D thanks!

You won't be able to follow this exactly, when I did mine it was a little different to what is described, you need to rotate the housing of the lamp anti-clockwise to be able to remove it from the car once you have removed the screws.

Cuprakorn

Great thread thanks :) Suppose installing aftermarket fog lights will follow the same pattern

Richoscos

Richoscos
Apr 7, 2014
Hertfordshire
I recently put my reg into autobulbsdirect.co.uk to get some LEDs for my fog lamps for my postFL Cupra and they sent me a H3 bulb. "All good", I thought.

I've come to replace it and the bulb definitely is not a bloody H3. It looks more like a H7 in my Fog Lamp. Does anyone what's going on?! Am I going mental?!

Last edited:

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
I replaced a fog lamp in my facelift Mk2 today, and to expand on Crafoo's post above, there are indeed a couple of differences on the facelift Mk2...

The trim securing screw is at the top of the trim, not the bottom.

There are no screws holding the lamp in place on the FL cars. Instead they use a twist-lock system. To release, twist the lamp so the adjuster screw is at the bottom of the slit in the bumper and then withdraw the lamp. Refitting is the opposite.

Finally, the FL fog lamp uses a different bulb (despite by FL handbook saying H3...). It's an HB4 bulb (sometimes referred to as HB4 9006) on the FL cars, and this just twists to release from the lamp.