1.6 SXE Clutch slipping

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
Well something was bound to go wrong sooner or later and after 94000 miles the old clutch is slipping nicely.

Any idea how much a new clutch would/should cost - my parents have booked the car in at Mr Clutch without telling me [:@]

I'm not going to leave them alone with it at any point in time and i'm fairly confident they're going to attempt to take the piss.

Its not so bad that i couldnt drive the car back to wales so i'm just wondering a decent price and the options if the clutch is slipping - got to the point today where it was slipping in fifth as i tried to overtake on the motorway :(

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
hmmm looks like about £72 for the clutch kit from GSF so what would be reasonable for labour changing a clutch, i've had a nose through the 'ol haynes and it looks like its a bit out of my league :(

Feb 8, 2007
Aberdeen, Scotland
hmm, depends where you go, a clutch could take anything from an hour to almost half a day! depends on the condition of your bolts and the damage to your clutch. etc, if it's out of your league though, then you've no choice but to pay what they tell you!

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
haha i went to Mr Clutch and they quoted me £160 for the clutch kit and 5 hours labour so i told them to shove it, went to a little back street garage that my mate down here mentioned and they did it for just shy of 300 notes.

Parents have offered to pay it anyway and are sorry that they booked it into Mr Clutch despite my reservations! (apologies are like hens teeth from my 'rents!)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.