mk2 Golf GTI 16v or mk2 Ibiza GTI 16v?

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
Well I'm thinking about getting something fairly cheap for some petrol fun and have narrowed it down to a mk2 Golf GTI 16v (91 or 92 model) or maybe a mk2 Ibiza GTI 16v.

I don't really care which one is faster, I'm really after something that handles well and is very enjoyable to drive.

The mk2 golf gti 16v is very basic but it has a great chassis, parts are easy to source and they seem to hold their money quite well too.
I don't know much about mk2 Ibiza GTI's so I'm interested in how it compares.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Pretty similar in terms of performance. They share a fair amount of suspension parts (especially at the front), so I imagine they handle similarly, too.

The main difference is that the Golf has 'modern classic' status, whereas the Ibiza is just another hot hatch in the eyes of most.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
I dont see to many decent mk2 golf gti's about anymore and the ones that are seem very expensive....

Then again depends on how long you look for as the same could be said for Ibiza's. I think there are alot more decent 8v's around as apposed to 16v's

Last edited:

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
may have a bias response on this sight if you think about it as if we wanted mk2 golfs we would of probably got one..all i know is that vw will hold there value more and will be worth more in years to come

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
may have a bias response on this sight if you think about it as if we wanted mk2 golfs we would of probably got one..all i know is that vw will hold there value more and will be worth more in years to come

Yeah, but it is the best place to ask people how they rate the mk2 ibiza gti.

I'm leaning towards the golf as I've always liked them and they're pretty simple/basic, and I'm maybe gonna turn it into abit of a project if I like it enough.

Finding a decent golf or ibiza for sale in northern ireland is proving difficult though, so I'm looking on the mainland too.

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
Well, most people here would probably rate them highly.

There isn't that much difference in complexity between a well specced mk2 Golf and a mk2 Ibiza.

They both probably handle better than my mk4 cupra tdi. Though the ibiza gti may suffer from a good amount of understeer too having a big 2.0l engine, unless its basically just an envolved 1.8 in which case it probably weighs the same.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the 1.8 and 2.0, it may well be that it's bored/stroked up. It does understeer, but this can be neutralised nicely if you're careful with weight transfer.

The Ibiza has a narrower rear beam than the Golf so it may in fact be more lively at the rear end. I can't say for sure - the best tyres my Golf has was a set of ditchfinder Pirelli P6000s!!

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
I would have thought your choice would have been between a mk3 golf and ibiza, not mk2.

Not really looking to spend that much money for something that's just gonna be for abit of fun and maybe turned into some kind of project.

Also I don't rate the mk3 golf gti that much, so i'd probably do something daft like go for a VR6 :doh:
mk3 ibiza cupra is nice and personnally handles better than the mk4 but that I'm not really after something that expensive or new.
If I was gonna spend ~£5k I think I'd be looking at a kit car.

Last edited:

xcore

Nov 15, 2007
mk2 16v if you can get a goodone, they will be lighter and have a better chassis

xcore

Nov 15, 2007
golf sorry lol they weigh around 900kg? but there only around 139ish bhp

cuprachrissy

m2 16v mate, my friend has a golf 16v and another friend has mk2 16v, personally i think the golf looks nicer and handles better with a set of coilovers and arb's. just my opinion though!

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
Golf everyday of the week, better all round car, handling looks, interior (imo) styling, and will only be going up in value as long as its look after, rust being the biggest enemy.

im not so sure with the ibiza 16v and ive got one, the dash is lifted out of a polo for a start, and the half leathers have some intresting "sick" pattern on and its sits abit too high.

Cant wait till my mk2 Golf is finished lol!

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Golf MK2 GTi everyday for me if its not going to be a daily, better looking, better handling and simpler with lashings of bits out there. However due to cult status a good one is expensive, sp if your on a budget a tatty MK2 16v Ibiza is the way to go.

If you can find a MK2 Golf Syncro (the four wheel drive one) its got a 1.8 8v carb engine with the same body kit as the GTi, stick a webber carb on it and you'll have something that'll keep up with fuel injected GTi's but corners like its on rails! My mum had one and it was the most fun i've had in a VAG ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise