winter checks to do NOW

andycupra

status subject to change
hello all.

just thought id put something together now that winter is setting in with wet and cold/freezing weather.
Below are some checks, both general advice and points more applicable to the seat group from past experiences..

Please add anything i have not included or links to useful threads and i will update this list as needed:

VAG GROUP ISSUES:
door carrier seals: Wet carpet? - These can leak as most of use know. http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216
blocked drain holes: Right now leaves and muck in the drain holes near the scuttle can be blocked leading the leaks behind pedals or glovebox.
Pollen filter cover: as above can lead to leaks if not fitted correctly.
coolant warning light: Coolant level is lower when outside temps are lower, bleeps and a warning light when first starting up the car (low coolant level) are common this time of year. Top of the coolant level a bit and/or clean prongs to help with this fault. Plenty of info on this forum for this.
bonnet release mechanism: Salt and grim can build up, imagine not being able to open the bonnet, give it a clean out and good greasing.
Doors frozen shut: the door seals can get stuck following rain/freezing temps. Vaseline etc can help with this.

GENERAL ADVICE:[/COLOR]
Tyres: pressure and tread depth, change them sooner rather than later...
Battery: is it in good condition? if its been stuggling replace it now. jump leads not a bad idea either.
wipers: are they in good condition?
Screenwash: is it at the correct antifreeze mixture?
Spare screenwash: some spare in the boot is a good idea, long journies on motorways following a salting can use alot of screenwash. Make sure its not accessible to kids that might be temped to drink it and marked up appropriately. (no putting it in a drinks bottle please)
Clean windsreen inside and out: helps keep vision clear and reduce glare
Ice scrapper: doesnt need explaining, but clear more than a tiny spot and also other windows / mirrors.
Lights: do they all work and are they clean!?
Broom: for clearing car after show fall.
Petrol: Dont run petrol down low in case of extended journies / road blocks:
Door locks: Do they work, a bit of WD40 or the like is recommended.
Clothers: nice warm jacket, gloves, hat etc are all good ideas. Sleeping bag? - sensible shoes, ladies.. ;)
Drink: usual advice is have some water in the car, - but also think before you drive if you have been drinking recently - including the night before at works parties etc.

finally, but most importantly:
SLOW DOWN: take a bit more time, set out a little earlier, be careful and be safe.

end.

Last edited:
Reactions: X3RN and Redemption

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
If you're out in the sticks or have regular long journeys to do, then a pack of mars bars hidden away from temptation, a bag of sand/grit and a small shovel can be a good investment!

Also snow socks/winter tyres/snow chains depending on just how cold and snowy it gets!!

(PS, Snow chains aren't actually allowed in the UK as far as I know!)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If you're out in the sticks or have regular long journeys to do, then a pack of mars bars hidden away from temptation, a bag of sand/grit and a small shovel can be a good investment!

And some decent outdoor clothing. If you get caught up in weather like this and have to get out of the car for any reason, you'll be in trouble very quickly if you're not protected from the elements. I was part of a long convoy of traffic that had to park up for over 2 hours until there was enough visibility to move. As you can see in the video, a lot of the time I couldn't even see the lorry parked in front of me. Wind was so strong I couldn't open my drivers door.

I usually keep these in the boot:

Wellies
Fleece jacket
Extra jumper
Proper waterproof coat
Waterproof overtrousers
Gloves
Hat
Shovel

And maybe some kind of bottle/container to have a p*ss in if you need to without getting out and literally freezing your bits off :D .

All depends on the type of roads & journey you're embarking on of course...

Last edited:

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
ICY CONDITIONS

A government warning has said that anyone travelling in icy conditions should take:

Shovel, Blankets or sleeping bag
Extra clothing including scarf, hat and gloves
24 hours supply of food and drink
De-Icer
5Kgs of Rock Salt
Torch or lantern with spare batteries
Road Flares and Reflective Triangles
Tow rope
5 gallon petrol can
First Aid Kit
Jump Leads

....I looked like a complete prat on the bus this morning !!!!!

Reactions: KarmaCupra
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.