Fuel Consumption

hungabunga

Mar 11, 2005
it get's canned now and again so I am sure things are clean enough :)
I tried the driving between 2000-3000 revs on the way home and it means you are in 2nd and 3rd gear for most normal roads as the car does 40mph at 2.5Krpm in 3rd gear. It seems like a waste not using 4th and 5th. The car seems like it is geared to work between 1.5-2K rpm as it does 70mph in 6th at 2k and 40mph in 4th around 1.8K as well.

Is this to do with different power engines ???

Thanks

Sully

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
dmjw01 said:
That's interesting. I've often wondered whether I'd get better mpg if I tried harder to keep the turbo on-boost. When settled at a steady speed, I usually pick a gear that gives about 1500 or so rpm - do you reckon I'd see an improvement if I dropped down a gear?
From your advanced driving, I would have thought that you would be in the lower gear anyway?
In order to keep it around the 2000 mark. Keeping it around the 1500 mark would surely labour the engine ? ?
Optimum gear for optimum road speed.
I don't have the luxury of a trip computer,I work it out the hard way. .
1. Brim the tank,(including venting)and reset the trip meter
2. Drive the car ! until I need more fuel.
3. Brim the tank again.
4. Convert liters into gallons.
5.Divide the miles into the gallons and Hey presto MPG. . .

At the moment I'm averageing 58-60 mpg in a 3000 mile old 100PD Sport,Custom Code phase 1 remap,Cupra air intake ,Green panel filter and a Forge FMIC.( :funk: )

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
jason leese said:
From your advanced driving, I would have thought that you would be in the lower gear anyway?
Not necessarily. If I'm on a straight-ish, flat-ish piece of road with no "threats" or hazards, I'll look for the most fuel-efficient gear where the engine sounds "happy". It's true that advanced drivers frequently do use lower gears, but there's no point doing that all the time.

This engine feels and sounds very happy at 1500 rpm if all I'm doing is maintaining speed on a flat road, but I can understand the technical reasons why this might not be the most fuel-efficient gear for a TDI. I'm a recent convert to the Dark Side, so naturally I'm keen to know if there's a better way of driving it.

I tried it on my way home tonight, but unfortunately road closures forced me to take a completely different route so I can't compare the mpg figure. :doh:

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
I tried it last night on the flatest bit of the M62 I could. At just under 2k I was getting 52ish. Took it to over 2k and reset the cruise and it started to drop.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
dmjw01 said:
Not necessarily. If I'm on a straight-ish, flat-ish piece of road with no "threats" or hazards, I'll look for the most fuel-efficient gear where the engine sounds "happy". It's true that advanced drivers frequently do use lower gears, but there's no point doing that all the time.

This engine feels and sounds very happy at 1500 rpm if all I'm doing is maintaining speed on a flat road, but I can understand the technical reasons why this might not be the most fuel-efficient gear for a TDI. I'm a recent convert to the Dark Side, so naturally I'm keen to know if there's a better way of driving it.

I tried it on my way home tonight, but unfortunately road closures forced me to take a completely different route so I can't compare the mpg figure. :doh:

your quite right, it doesnt need to be between 2k and 3k all the time, if your crusing on a flat stretch of road then i change up a gear and let it cruise. If i come to a hill then a drop back down to about 2k. As hungabunga noticed you dont need to be at 2-3k ALL the time just when accelerating really.

Oh and i was thinking about this on my drive home yesterday and it came to me that what i posted was slighty wrong, the most fuel economic way to drive it is at 1900rpm as this is where peak torque is delivered.

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
It doesn't really matter what the revs are. It's more about how the engine "feels".
I hardley look at the rev counter,
The harder you press the pedal the more fuel is used.So if you can go along with your foot only just pressing the pedal the better.
where ever the engine is pulling but without you having to bury the pedal is the most economic
It's hard to discribe in words but you just get to feel where it is for any given road speed,

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
jason leese said:
It doesn't really matter what the revs are. It's more about how the engine "feels".
I hardley look at the rev counter,
The harder you press the pedal the more fuel is used.So if you can go along with your foot only just pressing the pedal the better.
where ever the engine is pulling but without you having to bury the pedal is the most economic
It's hard to discribe in words but you just get to feel where it is for any given road speed,
Spot on.

9designs

Sep 21, 2002
Rugby
Visit site
My old Toledo 110 with a little care would give 600 miles on a tank, driving mainly on a dual C. at around 78mph, (just under 3K rpm)..... If I was careful could get to 600 before the fuel light came on... or it I had been booting it would drop to 550.

Now on my first tank full with the Cupra TDi, and I'm at 330 miles and 1/2 a tank... so looks like it will be the same... Though I've have had moments of more right foot than normal...well i just bought it ;) ..... and some slower driving, (playing with buttons and watching fuel meter)

Think my "record" was near 650 on a longer run before refill

Davidp

Owl Member
Sep 14, 2004
Wirral
You will get the best fuel economy on a motorway in 6th gear under 2000 rpm (before the turbo really kicks in). You will easily get well over 50 mpg and no strain on engine.
Its just rather a boring way to drive. but hey lots of people drive that way and usually in the middle lane!
Much more fun to be had by hoofing it in the lower gears!!

Toros

I have a New Leon 2.0 TDI.

-55 litre
-940 km in urban, 1048 km on motorway.

;)

hey anyone know 2nd generation leon's 1.9 tdi's infos about consumption?

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
I've had 640 out of my PD150. Regularly get 55MPG manually calculated over a full tank.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
9designs said:
My old Toledo 110 with a little care would give 600 miles on a tank, driving mainly on a dual C. at around 78mph, (just under 3K rpm)..... If I was careful could get to 600 before the fuel light came on... or it I had been booting it would drop to 550.

Now on my first tank full with the Cupra TDi, and I'm at 330 miles and 1/2 a tank... so looks like it will be the same... Though I've have had moments of more right foot than normal...well i just bought it ;) ..... and some slower driving, (playing with buttons and watching fuel meter)

Think my "record" was near 650 on a longer run before refill

its been found the last half of the tank goes much quicker than the first half, so you will probably fall short of your mark, and its still not run in if its new so not giving the best economy

Yello

drives a Banshee
Aug 5, 2002
Weston-Super-Mare
Visit site
hungabunga said:
o.k I will drive it between 2000-3000rpm and see if I get better results.

Thanks

Sully

Hi

still testing mpg at present, had a few issues to resolve with mapping but all sweet now, shall continue logging details for a couple of mths and may post up some data part way through.

How often do you check your tyre pressures? They can make an impression on mpg, especially in the colder weather we are experiencing, check they are not under inflated, try not to worry about consuption for a whole week and just drive your car as you want to enjoy it, after all that's part of the experience. Try for a week doing this and you will find that most of your time will be spent either in traffic or blatting about with a huge grin on ya face, note down your weekly average consumption (trip computer will suffice for reference) and then spend the following week consciously trying to maximise your mpg, my bet is that there wont be too much in it.. try it and see

ps. with my re-map on, and driving with some enthusiasm I average about 40mpg with no real difference between fuels to date.

with stock mapping I can manage 44mpg with same driving style, my driving remains fairly constant over any period.

hope this is useful, more info to come now i'm happy with the mapping I can provide some consistant results shortly

cheers

Jonto

Mar 29, 2005
Newcastle under Lyme
I get 50's mpg round town and high 50's on the M way.

Never get below 40mpg even when thrashing it.

I have notice that in this cold snap my mpg has dropped and my journey to and from work doesn't allow my oil temp to get up to 90c.

I got an Ibiza TDI Sport 130, with anthracite alloys !

Beats the 18mpg i used to get from my scooby.

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
Thats clasiffied. Mine was the development car for Forge.

Have you thought about going to The Derv Doctor ? ? He's only in Ashbourne

Where in castle do you live ? I'm in Chesterton

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.