Wheel bearing replacment.... damaged hub !

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Went to pick the R up from the dealer last night after having the wheel bearing replaced....

Got there at 4.55pm, only to be told that they were still working on it.... 2mins later the work shop manager came out to tell me that the car would be immobile over night....

From what he said, they were trying to press the old bearing out of the hub carrier, and were exerting 28 tonnes of pressure on it.... HOW MUCH !!!! Apparently they normally only need to use about 5 !!!

Anyway, in the process of doing it, they have managed to damage the ABS sensor bracket on the hub carrier.....

New hub carrier (1 of only 6 in stock apparently!) on order from Seat on overnight delivery.... should have it at 7am this morning..... we shall see if they get it done for 2pm....

If not, I'll be borrowing the new Leon Cupra demonstrator to drive down to Devon for the weekend !!!! lol

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
hopefully the hub carrier is on their tab! £££'s otherwise

I doubt they'll have been able to get their order in for the part by 5pm last night, I think cut off is about 3ish though.

28 tonnes? I doubt they have a 30 tonne press when they only need a 5 tonne one. scarey stuff!

andyj

yeah, they're footing the bill for the hub carrier ;)

in 2 minds as to what caused the problems.... either they're inadequacy's at doing the work, or the fact that the bearing was so screwed that it wouldn't budge from the carrier.....

As long as I get my car back with no damage to the wheels, I'm not too fussed.....

2-day trial of the new Cupra will be nice though :D

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
this doesn't suprise me - had a wheel bearing go on me following a blyton trackday (very hard on cars, bumpy) and had one hell of a job getting the old one out - soaked in petetrating oil for several days, heated, cooled, the lot and it would not budge, got my local rally shop to press it out eventually with a very big press

other times I have fetched them out with a big vice....seems that it can be very variable

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Which bearing was it (front?) and what were your symptoms?

I had a rear one go and they, apparently had to fetch a guy with an oxy torch to heat it up enough to get it out.

Took them all day, I spoke t the Tech afterwards and he looked shattered!

I think I might have another one on the way out, it's booked in next week.

andyj

NSF wheel bearing.....

I was getting a slight virbation through the steering wheel and floor, but could also hear a rumbling.

However, having had it done, and done 300miles since, I've still got it, although not as bad.....

Trying to work out where it's coming from, front/back.....

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
many years ago I needed to press out a front wheel bearing on my renault 11 turbo... took 20 tonnes on the guage before it screeched and started to come out.

they have'nt supported it so well if they bent the abs sensor and other cast details on the hub. I can sympathise with them tho if its that stiff.

(maybe they should removed the circlip first - lol)

andyj

Chatting to Pete last night on MSN, I think we've potentially identified the cause of the vibration etc....

The RZ alloys that are on the R have got spigot rings on them, but due to the fronts requiring spcers to clear the Brembo's, the spigot ring on the front had to be modified to allow them to fit properly....

When I had the front tyres changed at christmas, the rear were swapped onto the fronts and the new tyres were put on the rear..... and I guess the spigot rings got swapped to....

Going to jack the car up tonight and check which are fitted where..... ;)

andyj

Right,

I've managed to eradicate the rumbling/.knocking..... by doing 1 of 2 things....

1: Checked that the spigot ring was in the correct way round, which it wasn't. So I've corrected that.

2: Thought I'd see if the 'new' EBC discs had warped.... so when I had the wheel off, I rotated the disc and could hear it 'catching' as I turned it. I could also see a very small gap (0.1mm size) between the discs and pad, but as I rotated the disc, the gap dissappeared and reappeared as the disc turned a full 360'.

Now, I remember reading something on the 'instructions' that came with the discs, that basically said that if you get 'vibration' to remove the locating screw, and turn the disc round by 1 bolt hole.

So I've done that, and then checked that the 'gap' doesn't reappear/diappear.... which it now doesn't.

Has anyone else ever heard of having to do this with discs ?? Bill ??

Anyway, I've taken the car for a 10mile spin at various speeds etc, and not encountered the knocking etc. Will give it a couple of days to settle in and report back.

Andy

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I've been wondering if mine was down to "warped" disks :think: Not EBC btw, OE Brembos.

If you clock the disks, you must have to leave the retaining screw out?

I've noticed on previous sets that they would "catch" (ching - ching - ching) when they were getting ready for changing.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members