Anyone had their emissions "fixed"?

Dai Rob

Apr 11, 2008
Blaenau Gwent
Just to gauge other members actions so far, would it be possible to post a poll on here asking (for example)..

Have you have your Exeo updated?
No
Yes - all okay
Yes - had problems since

Just curious if that is possible on here - thanks to anyone who could help.

pooclah

Feb 14, 2016
Yes had it done on 2.0tdi 143 my after being pressured by the dealer when I took it in for a service.

I will say it was Bluefined when it went in.
The result was not good. The exhaust note changed, it sounded like it was blowing, I even took the car back but they assured me no problem. There was no torque at low revs, and during the few weeks I had it on it was doing a regen at least once a week. And the car vibrated at low revs.

Thank god for Superchips. I spoke to them and tried the Bluefin again which failed. After a few telephone conversations I took my car to them and they put the original map back and blufined it. So I’m back to normal now and my faithful Exeo is pleasant to drive again.

My recommendation is ‘Don’t get it done’

mrdo

Jan 10, 2013
howdy,

hope you can help me with a couple of issues that may be related to the fix:

is the fix mandatory or should i be asked whether i wish this to be carried out if my car is in for a service?

does the exhaust emission control system light (yellow light on the dash) usually stay on when the ignition is turned on or does it come on and then go off again after a few seconds like most of the other warning lights?

the reason that i ask is that i recently had my car in for a service at the dealer's and wasn't asked whether i wanted the 'fix'. since getting my exeo back the exhaust warning light stays on when i turn on the ignition and only goes off once i start the ignition.

any thoughts? anyone?

Last edited:

mickone

May 10, 2015
had my exeo fixed last year runs great 60mpg,yellow light on when ignition and will go off when engine is running ps my car has 137.000mi

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
howdy,

hope you can help me with a couple of issues that may be related to the fix:

is the fix mandatory or should i be asked whether i wish this to be carried out if my car is in for a service?

does the exhaust emission control system light (yellow light on the dash) usually stay on when the ignition is turned on or does it come on and then go off again after a few seconds like most of the other warning lights?

the reason that i ask is that i recently had my car in for a service at the dealer's and wasn't asked whether i wanted the 'fix'. since getting my exeo back the exhaust warning light stays on when i turn on the ignition and only goes off once i start the ignition.

any thoughts? anyone?

It's not mandatory, quite a few people have had issues since the 'fix'

Join this facebook group and take a look...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/955027937948541/

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I notice that the following link was posted earlier in this thread but I'll post it again because there have since been a shed load of comments added below the article from disgruntled owners whose cars have been ruined by the emissions fix, the latest of which was only posted a couple of days ago. It just goes to show how widespread the problems being caused by the emissions "fix" actually are. Read it and weep :cry:

My car will certainly not be getting the emissions fix applied while I am still the owner of it. I drafted an agreement that I made the dealer sign when my car went in for its annual service 3 weeks ago to ensure that they wouldn't go anywhere near my car with their so-called emissions "fix" software update. A copy of that agreement can be found at the following link if anyone else wants to use it as a template...

mrdo

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks guys - I'm unsure whether the fix has actually been done - I got the letter but ignored it due to my concerns.

Can someone else please confirm that the yellow exhaust warning light stays on until the engine is started?

Thanks again.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Thanks guys - I'm unsure whether the fix has actually been done - I got the letter but ignored it due to my concerns.

If you phone SEAT UK and give them your registration number or VIN, they should be able to tell you if the emissions "fix" has been applied to your car, and if so, the date on which it was applied.

Can someone else please confirm that the yellow exhaust warning light stays on until the engine is started?

Do you mean the light that looks like this?

1854984.6868.jpg

If yes and it goes out as soon when the engine is started then everything is fine.

mrdo

Jan 10, 2013
hi there,

from memory, the light is more like this but i guess we're both speaking about the same light:

engine-light.jpg

thanks for the info regarding calling seat - very useful.

cheers!

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
from memory, the light is more like this but i guess we're both speaking about the same light:

engine-light.jpg

The light I was talking about is the "DPF Obstructed" warning lamp which comes on when the DPF gets clogged up.

The one you've posted a picture of is the "Exhaust Emission Control System" warning light. That one will light up when you switch on the ignition remain lit until you start the engine. It's only if it stays lit after you've started the engine or if it comes on while you're driving that you have problems.

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
I dont know if this has already been mentioned, but there is a facebook group for all affected VAG owners, and they seem to be proactive in their approaches with trying to get VAG to deal with the problems properly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/955027937948541/?fref=nf

you CANNOT be an employee or representative of any of the VAG divisions to join this group.

I've found it interesting reading the thousands of stories Ive read so far, and as a result there is no way mine is getting the 'fix'.

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
My exeo hasnt been done, but my Leon has (before I got it) and within about 5000 miles of it being done the EGR valve has failed. Luckly the car was still under warranty from the supplying dealer and they agreed to cover the costs (£700+ inc fitting).

when asked if it was due to the "fix" the official line is no... but some EGRS may have a few issues to now opening wider and entering areas of travel which have not been used bore, and therefore carbon build up may cause some problems.

The dealer then told me they were on back order due to the amount which have failed... so read into that what you will.

On the other hand the Leon is still doing good MPG, but the Regen is a pain, as part of the fix is shorter but more open ReGens. (The idea being that before it would wait until the DPF is basically full to burting before doing a regen. this then take a while do - say 15 mins for arguments sake, and if it does not complete the regen in time then there is no long until another is needed, or it forces it around town.

The high temps for longer periods of time are also not good for the substrate within the DPF and the wash coat on the cat which is in the same housing as the DPF.

The new idea is regen say twice as often, so when the DPF is only half full, but now it only takes 5 mins to complete, meaning it is more likely to finish, and because the high temps are not present for as long it des not do as much damage to the cat.

Mine however does seem to keep doing regens around town randomly, which all my others before the fix never did - The exeo will though, it loves a random regen round town.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Last edited:

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Yeah it's complete BS that it had no negative effect. I got mine remapped specifically because of the effect it had on the running and regen cycles of my car. VW have totally messed up on this one, doubt I'd go VAG group when I eventually come to swap my car out. Was hoping to run mine a long time, I just hope it will last with minor issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jdubya

May 30, 2017
South West
Exeo Emissions "FIX"??

Hi folks, just stumbled across this thread and felt obliged to respond. I had my 2009 Exeo TDI 140 Sport into my local dealer for the recall recently and I've gotta say that overall I've really not noticed any drop in overall performance or economy - and trust me I'm really picky over things like this. Having been in the "trade" both as a spanner turner and then as a service manager I understand the issues around this "fix" from both an owners perspective and a manufacturer viewpoint. Now I don't know if this is a long term "fix" BUT as an owner I'm still more than happy with my Exeo - she pulls like a train and returns great fuel economy figures taking into account she's a heavy old girl!! I s'pose you've gotta trust your own instinct and decide what's best for you but, with all the do do VW are in over this, getting this wrong simply isn't an option!! :) :)

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Hi folks, just stumbled across this thread and felt obliged to respond. I had my 2009 Exeo TDI 140 Sport into my local dealer for the recall recently and I've gotta say that overall I've really not noticed any drop in overall performance or economy - and trust me I'm really picky over things like this. Having been in the "trade" both as a spanner turner and then as a service manager I understand the issues around this "fix" from both an owners perspective and a manufacturer viewpoint. Now I don't know if this is a long term "fix" BUT as an owner I'm still more than happy with my Exeo - she pulls like a train and returns great fuel economy figures taking into account she's a heavy old girl!! I s'pose you've gotta trust your own instinct and decide what's best for you but, with all the do do VW are in over this, getting this wrong simply isn't an option!! :) :)

You're not a VAG employee by any chance are you? Registered yesterday with only one post praising the emissions "fix". I'm not throwing accusations around but you have to admit that it all seems a bit fishy when there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of owners complaining how the "fix" has ruined their cars on various motoring websites. And not just in the UK but in Europe and Australia too. With that number of complaints they are certainly not isolated issues.

Explain why the VAG group currently have a huge back order of EGR valves and are refusing to supply them to independent garages (because they need to keep them for their own dealers). Strange that this back order situation has only occurred after they "fixed" a load of cars. That is more than just a coincidence.

Bottom line is if it ain't broke then don't fix it. Even the VW UK CEO Paul Willis has openly stated that there is nothing wrong with the cars and they they are only applying a "fix" to effectively give owners peace of mind. That is obviously a lie, but I don't understand why someone would bother to have the "fix" applied even if there is only a 1% chance of reduced power at low RPM, poor MPG, premature failure of EGR valves and/or DPF filters. Why take any unnecessary risks if you don't need to?

Obviously each owner is entitled to do as they wish but people need to be properly informed of the potential risks involved before they make that decision to have the "fix" applied because it is clear that VAG certainly aren't telling owners the real truth, but no change there then so I guess we shouldn't really be surprised!

Last edited:

jdubya

May 30, 2017
South West
Really????

Firstly, no I don't work for any motor manufacturer and as a matter of fact I don't work in the motor trade any more!!
For your information I am just a run of the mill Exeo owner who has had the emissions fix carried out on my beloved vehicle and wanted to offer my experience of the said fix - of which I can personally report that I haven't experienced any issues or problems since it was carried out. Am I just lucky - who knows but what your getting here is my honest response to a simple question. Now for your information I used to work for a Skoda main franchised dealer over 18 months ago and even back then prior to the whole emissions debacle egr valves failed very very often and were almost always on backorder! Draw your own conclusions on this information but egr valves are a common weak link suffered by all manufacturers on most recent high performance modern Diesel engines. Bloody cheek!!!!! :censored:

adsfisher

Sep 6, 2015
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Had mine done about three weeks ago......and to be honest it was not as bad as I expected. I thought flat points would be flatter, and the fuel consumption would be worse but it was only like that for about a week. Either I have got used to it or the car has settled in nicely but it now feels like my old car did.

To be fair I have my Exeo booked in for a Celtic Tuning Remap not next week but the week after so it is really not worrying me all that much anyways!!!

:)

But I would agree with the sentiments of Speedfreek. I did only because circumstances looked like I was going to sell the car and thought it was a "selling point", now circumstances didnt change so I am keeping the car hence she is booked in for the remap. My experiance is I did not notice any real change but I have not had the car long since the change and in fact it doesnt even drive every day. So my experience would probably not be the best to base anything on!!!

Last edited:

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
It's been 6 months since the last post on this thread - have everybody's cars been OK since then?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members