Bought Bluefin, can't use it!!

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Hi all, finally decided to go for bluefin, downloaded my original file, sent to superchips and they came back to me saying "can't be done, your ecu is already modified!" They're saying I already have " a fairly aggressive remap, possibly Revo and we can only modify a bog standard file" They suggested I go to Seat and ask them to set my ecu back to standard and then do it! I rang Holders of Congresbury, my local dealer and they politely said we won't do it cos there's no way we can guarantee it'll work so we won't do it! Any suggestions?? Ken

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
If you've already got revo then just use that if you want blufin for the ability to turn back to standard then buy a select switch it would work out cheaper.

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Yeah, the guy at wiltshire superchips said he'd give me my money back once he's checked with superchips that i'm not telling porkies and have downloaded a new map! Got the car booked in on the 23rd May at TSR in Bridgwater for a dyno check, guess i'll see then whats going on, they're revo dealers so can tell me if its a revo or what. I'll get them to check fuel flow/demand too to see if the pump needs changing, if all ok then with the money saved from bluefin i'll fit a full milltek!!! Happy days, i'll keep you posted Ken

jamiebennett81

the car has a warranty right?

The dealer should be able to flash it back to standard. Also if the dealer did not know it had a map, and then an issue occurs later, they could turn around and say it is remapped and they wont validate the warranty?

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Hi Jamie, I bought the car from an independent dealer so I can't push the issue on them. It was the cheapest 07 Cupra in the country though, so i'm not too bothered, especially if it has a decent remap in already!!

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
You'd definately be able to tell if it is already mapped as the power delivery is very different. Quickest way to tell if it's REVO'd is find a member in your area and ask nicely to borrow a Select switch quickly just to see if it switches. Or try and phone the previous owner. I've p/x'ed a few cars that weren't quite as standard as they looked. Two of them went into Holders!

How much do TSR charge for a run up on the rollers BTW?

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
You'd definately be able to tell if it is already mapped as the power delivery is very different. Quickest way to tell if it's REVO'd is find a member in your area and ask nicely to borrow a Select switch quickly just to see if it switches. Or try and phone the previous owner. I've p/x'ed a few cars that weren't quite as standard as they looked. Two of them went into Holders!

How much do TSR charge for a run up on the rollers BTW?

you would defo be able to tell but not if its been set back to standard obviously:D but if you live in or near west yorkshire you can borrow my select switch.

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Thanks, I'm in Somerset, bit of a hike! The car wheelspins all through 2nd gear and a bit in 3rd, depending on road surface, is this normal of a standard map? Never driven a standard Cupra so don't know....... Ken

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Thanks, I'm in Somerset, bit of a hike! The car wheelspins all through 2nd gear and a bit in 3rd, depending on road surface, is this normal of a standard map? Never driven a standard Cupra so don't know....... Ken

Its normal in the wet to wheelspin in 3rd but in the dry and a good road surface you should only see wheelspin in 2nd and only a bit depending on tyres and 1st obviously but I never launch the car. if its a bumpy road the esp light comes on in 3rd gear acceleration and coming out of corners.

John57

If you get wheelspin in the dry in second then it's definitely remapped !! That will be all the extra torque coming in as the turbo spools up :D

Standard would just not do that .... sounds like you may have saved yourself the cost of a remap :) You just need to find out whose remap it is and get an idea of what it's putting out ......

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
I'll find out on 23rd may when i get a rr done, sounds promising tho' , guess i'll put the money saved to a fuel pump. Beezer, TSR are charging £40 for a dyno run, I know they've done RR days for other groups, is anyone up for a Cupra.net RR day in Somerset? Can but ask, I can always start a separate thread.........

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Also tried ringing Carshop in Yeovil to see if they would flash my ecu back to stock; "No, but we can sell you a new one Sir" Not what I wanted to hear............

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Not being funny, but if S/chips will sell you something that doesn't work - they should offer you a refund.

Then you should go somewhere that has the facility to remap your car properly.... regardless of what's on there

I am always sceptical of 'tuners' claiming that they can't do something because someone else already has.... it's a nice easy cop out

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Sounds like you already have a map, lucky you :)

Get it validated on the RR. I would also see if you can contact a Revo dealer and have them identify if it is indeed a revo map. If so I think it's only £50 for the SPS which will then give you the flexibility to swap between standard and remap.

I'm still not overly convinced that my old FR hadn't been remapped as since buying the K1 ive noticed little difference in performance and dare I say it the FR felt quicker! (possibly due to the DSG and the higher revving low done of the smaller turbo may have made it sound quicker!)

btw my dealer never commented on the FR being mapped when it was serviced but they may not check (or care!)

FYI, there was a thread a few weeks back about whether remaps affect warranty or not as some stealers are actually revo installers! The question still up in the air!

Good luck with RR and the extra cash you may now have for other mods :)

Also good on superchips for letting you know. I don't buy the fact they can't reset to standard they can. But reality is you'd be looking for extra performance and you wouldnt notice it given already mapped, I think that's their major concern

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
I'll find out on 23rd may when i get a rr done, sounds promising tho' , guess i'll put the money saved to a fuel pump. Beezer, TSR are charging £40 for a dyno run, I know they've done RR days for other groups, is anyone up for a Cupra.net RR day in Somerset? Can but ask, I can always start a separate thread.........

Cheers for that Ken, we had a look at doing a rolling road day in Plymouth here http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2415412#post2415412 but TSR are more central for the region so could well be an option and they charged £20 a run when SWDUBS had an R/R day there last month. If you could have a word with TSR and see what sort of numbers they want vs money and I can spread the word around a few of the other VAG forums to see if they'll support us cupranetters.

Back on topic, I know my local REVO agent pretty well, he's a member on here too but hasn't got time to post much, so if Exeter isn't too far for you he would probably have a look see if your car has REVO on it. PM me if you want details and I'll phone him to see what he can do. :)

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Sent Bluefin back today, the guy at Wiltshire Superchips (Richard) agreed to refund me which was good of him. Mind you it doesn't say when you buy a bluefin that the ecu has to be bog-standard so I suppose if it can't be used they have to refund. I'll have to put the story on hold until 23rd May when I go for a dyno run and i'll ask about the possibility/price of a Cupra.net RR day when I go.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise