Cooling fan on constant - Leon FR

MatG

Jul 31, 2007
www.astraownersclub.com
Somthing is up with the cooling van on my Leon FR tdi. I am guessing the sensor is knackered and thinks the car is still hot as the fans are on constant. Obviously this will drain the battery pretty quickly.

Could you tell me where the fuse is for the fans, location and number? Or if the sensor is easy to get to so I can un plug it?

Thanks in advance :)

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
sure its not just the heat? Mine on the leon and the missus on them ini are going crazy at the moment...

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The fan switch will normally be located on the radiator. the idea is that when the radiator gets too hot it kicks the fan in. normally a 2 conection switch, and if you unplug the wire and short the 2 ends of the wire together the fan will come on. i your case (as you say) just un plugging it will kill the fan.

There may be a fuse for this so look in the owners hand book maybe.

MatG

Jul 31, 2007
www.astraownersclub.com
had a look around and can not see the fan switch anywhere. Any idea what side top or bottom?

Looked in the owners hand book and tells you every thing other cooling fans. Tried all fuses in the engine bay (next to battery) and nothing, tried some under the steering wheel that i can access easy enough and again nothing :(

Cheers for your help :)

tyke666

Is your air con on ?
When the air con is on the fans run all the time to cool the air con heat exchanger.
Mines been on all week and you hear the fans run down after switching off the engine.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think the OP has the fan running even when the ignition isn't on. This is normal for a radiator cooling fan but it sounds like the thermo switch has gone closed circuit.

I would imagine that the switch may be quite hard to find as there is an air con rad, a normal rad and an intercooler all bunched up together.

I'm sure there were pics of an intercooler swap how to so maybe looking at them will help.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
From a parts drawing/list I have there seems to be a Fan Thermoswitch, a Fan Run-On Thermoswitch, Fan Run-On Relay and a Fan Relay.

It is unclear where any of these are situated, I have also had a quick look under my bonnet and cannot see.

However on the drawing there are two two cables, each with a connector, coming from the large wheeled electric fan on nearside and my guess
(and that is all it is) is one is for Fan circuit and one is for Fan Run-on Circuit.

Mind your fingers, a battery disconnect is probably safest, although getting to these is not going to be easy.
A trip to the Dealer may be easier.

Last edited:

MatG

Jul 31, 2007
www.astraownersclub.com
Thanks all for the replies.

As Bedlam has said above there is next to no space, in fact I am suprised by the little space there is on this engine in the bay. I took a trip to the dealer today, who know what the problem is, are getting the parts for this afternoon and are fixing it at 2pm and will take a 2 hours to do.

This is the first issue I have ever had since we got the Leon over a year ago, and the dealer is being fantastic in dealing with it. Really not an issue at all :)

Droitwich Garage for those that are interested - http://www.droitwichgarage.co.uk/

DaveI

Oct 5, 2007
My FR did this and the dealer knew what the problem was straight away.

Some chafed wires under the battery shorting out and causing the fans to run constantly, bit worrying really as an under bonnet electrical fire could really ruin your day.

MatG

Jul 31, 2007
www.astraownersclub.com
Sorry for not updating, been busy at work and away for the weekend as well.

The smaller fan was replaced as it was diagnosed as faulty. However after it was changed the problem was still there. So the larger fan was replaced as it houses the electrics for the smaller one and the problem was resolved.

So two complete new fans latter and no bill its all fixed, they even serviced the car at the same time (it needed doing) and discounted it a little for the trouble and the extra day required to sort out the problem. :)

intrepidnmc

Two new fans? Wow. I'm just out of warranty on my 06 TFSi, and have the same problem. My current dealer found a fault on the diagnostics but couldn't say what it was. Apparently I need to book it in for a couple of days to 'go through the wiring'. Hmmm. Anyway I don't supose they mentioned how much it would have cost for the replacement big fan and labour do you?
Oh I apologise in advance if I'm in the wrong forum. I was just looking for cooling fan threads. :doh:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members