Bluefin ordered at last

Al

Aug 29, 2005
so is bluefin one of the best maps for the Cupra ? .

Thats like asking if you prefer Nescafe, Cafe Hag or Kenco coffee.

Bluefin allows the user to put the map on and off. Bluefin standard is OEM factory standard

GIAC allows the user to select different pre set modes while the car is moving and can allow the user to select "standard"

Revo allows the user to fine tune the car using a Select + box so things like boost, timing and fuelling can be adjusted to suit the modifications. Again, it can be switched to "standard"

Custom Code is supposed to be controllable using VAGCOM, but I am unsure how this works.

There are other maps which I understand are non controllable and cant be switched off like APR, P-Torque and some others.

All maps make the car go faster, but the Bluefin car would probably end up being the least powerful of them based on Superchips own claims and the results of those who have had Bluefin installed.

Most people will consider the pros and cons of each map, but things like price and where is can get done are also big factors.

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
I have bluefin fitted to my Cupra since I got the car in May and have nothing but praise for it. The car is MUCH quicker and the MPG is better if you lay off the turbo as you don't need to give it as much pedal as standard to achieve the same speeds.

The other plus is that it is removable again if the car needs to go in for servicing or warranty work at the dealers.

Go for it mate you won't regret it...

Thats like asking if you prefer Nescafe, Cafe Hag or Kenco coffee.

Bluefin allows the user to put the map on and off. Bluefin standard is OEM factory standard

GIAC allows the user to select different pre set modes while the car is moving and can allow the user to select "standard"

Revo allows the user to fine tune the car using a Select + box so things like boost, timing and fuelling can be adjusted to suit the modifications. Again, it can be switched to "standard"

Custom Code is supposed to be controllable using VAGCOM, but I am unsure how this works.

There are other maps which I understand are non controllable and cant be switched off like APR, P-Torque and some others.

All maps make the car go faster, but the Bluefin car would probably end up being the least powerful of them based on Superchips own claims and the results of those who have had Bluefin installed.

Most people will consider the pros and cons of each map, but things like price and where is can get done are also big factors.

Thanks, I know it comes down to personal preference and that superchips usually underestimate there figures, I do fancy a change but where as revo will set me back £700 I could probably get my bluefin reset for £100 ... thats an exhaust :)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Never really fancied the Bluefin product because I far as I can make out it only really tinkers with a limited set of parameters of the map, hence why you can self install/remove in a matter of minutes.

Companies which offer remaps which have to be installed via laptop make 'deeper' changes within the code, and these can then in some cases (tuner dependent) be 'tweaked' by hand controller devices to offer greater flexibility depending on use/spec.

I suppose it depends whether you just want to unleash the true potential of the car and get shot of the OEM's overly safe map, or whether you have longer term plans which include stage 2 / 3 reworks.

JKM

SCN Sponsor
Apr 25, 2005
I just saw this and thought that I would comment on a couple of things - The Bluefin reads the entire EPROM section of the ECU (Which is the area that contains the data maps). When this read file is sent to Superchips they are able to adjust any part of the map that they chose to. Being able to install the map yourself has no bearing on the amount of adjustment that has been made to the EPROM code. (Other companies also read and modify the EEPROM and Processor blocks of the ECU to enable end user adjustments to be made).

It takes around 7 – 10 minutes to read or program an ECU with a Bluefin and it takes about the same with REVO / APR and their programming code and hardware. The Bluefin handset’s design criteria was to produce a product to allow customers to get more involved with the tuning of their own car.

Also keep in mind that Superchips/Bluefin ‘choose’ to write less aggressive stage 1 maps when compared with the other big names in VAG tuning, certainly what I have found through the years is that not all customers want the maximum amount of torque available – it may provoke wheel spin to much for their liking and for this reason what one person will call the ‘best’ map does not suit someone else. This is certainly what I have found anyway.

If you want the biggest and highest numbers along with end user adjustability of the software settings (assuming that you know what you are adjusting and why) then a Bluefin is not necessarily the product to go for – but if you want a decent power and torque gain with smooth delivery and a genuinely underwritten warrantee then this is an option for you to consider.

Hope this helps

JKM

I just saw this and thought that I would comment on a couple of things - The Bluefin reads the entire EPROM section of the ECU (Which is the area that contains the data maps). When this read file is sent to Superchips they are able to adjust any part of the map that they chose to. Being able to install the map yourself has no bearing on the amount of adjustment that has been made to the EPROM code. (Other companies also read and modify the EEPROM and Processor blocks of the ECU to enable end user adjustments to be made).

It takes around 7 – 10 minutes to read or program an ECU with a Bluefin and it takes about the same with REVO / APR and their programming code and hardware. The Bluefin handset’s design criteria was to produce a product to allow customers to get more involved with the tuning of their own car.

Also keep in mind that Superchips/Bluefin ‘choose’ to write less aggressive stage 1 maps when compared with the other big names in VAG tuning, certainly what I have found through the years is that not all customers want the maximum amount of torque available – it may provoke wheel spin to much for their liking and for this reason what one person will call the ‘best’ map does not suit someone else. This is certainly what I have found anyway.

If you want the biggest and highest numbers along with end user adjustability of the software settings (assuming that you know what you are adjusting and why) then a Bluefin is not necessarily the product to go for – but if you want a decent power and torque gain with smooth delivery and a genuinely underwritten warrantee then this is an option for you to consider.

Hope this helps

JKM

In the abscence of a thanks button ... thanks, superchips i'm sure will adjust the map to suit anyway as I seem to remember with diesel tunning, I know you can changethings with revo but I for one would not want to go tweeking settings and have no idea exactly how these are affecting things mechanically, i belive you can have stage 2 and 3 maps for the cupra anyway and Jamie at Superchips along with there customer support has always been fantastic.

CupraLee K1

298bhp @ JKM
Oct 26, 2004
Fareham, Hampshire
I'm thinking of going the bluefin way as well.. Due to being able to revert car back to standard for Servicing :)

I understand that Bluefin isn't the MAP that gives huge power gains etc etc .. Just curious to know what gains people have had once Bluefin has been installed?

:)

kingkongsfinger

Feb 16, 2005
Bolton
So in the "real" world what will a Cupra with bluefin actually gain HP wise, but more importantly what will the performance gain be, ie 0- 60 time and or will it improve top end?

Thanks.

RobsCupra

Oct 21, 2008
Wrexham
So in the "real" world what will a Cupra with bluefin actually gain HP wise, but more importantly what will the performance gain be, ie 0- 60 time and or will it improve top end?

Thanks.

The Simple answer is "a lot".

Bear in mind that Bluefin currently has 3 stages available for the cupra depending on which other mods you have undertaken.

Stage 3 is pretty much up there with the more talked about stage 2+ maps.

Each car will always produce different results and also the good ole' dyno lottery will play a BIG part in your headline figures.

CupraLee K1

298bhp @ JKM
Oct 26, 2004
Fareham, Hampshire
The Simple answer is "a lot".

Bear in mind that Bluefin currently has 3 stages available for the cupra depending on which other mods you have undertaken.

Stage 3 is pretty much up there with the more talked about stage 2+ maps.

Each car will always produce different results and also the good ole' dyno lottery will play a BIG part in your headline figures.

That's true .. but would like to see what bhp people are roughly getting with the Bluefin on a standard Cupra. 270bhp? 280bhp? Or more like 300bhp?

Just thinking whether to get the bluefin or go for exhaust? :confused:

RobsCupra

Oct 21, 2008
Wrexham
That's true .. but would like to see what bhp people are roughly getting with the Bluefin on a standard Cupra. 270bhp? 280bhp? Or more like 300bhp?

Just thinking whether to get the bluefin or go for exhaust? :confused:

Bluefin quote 294bhp and as stated above they typically understate their maps potential. I went for the bluefin first and that made me want more so I then went for the TBE and filter for stage 2 and I'm currently saving hard for the HPFP to go to stage 3.

The other bonus is that the program upgrades to stage 2 & 3 are free once you've bought the stage 1.

HTH

CupraLee K1

298bhp @ JKM
Oct 26, 2004
Fareham, Hampshire
Bluefin quote 294bhp and as stated above they typically understate their maps potential. I went for the bluefin first and that made me want more so I then went for the TBE and filter for stage 2 and I'm currently saving hard for the HPFP to go to stage 3.

The other bonus is that the program upgrades to stage 2 & 3 are free once you've bought the stage 1.

HTH

Sounds good :)

Might just be worth paying out for Bluefin now and then upgrade exhaust etc.. then get free upgrade to stage 2 :)

Poverty

Why dont we just get a bluefinned cupra and a revo cupra together and have a play side by side, and let each person drive the others car and then we can finally see what the real world differences are!