DPF Removal

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Hi guys,

Right, I'm thinking of a DPF removal but what are the effects of it? I.E can I tell the DVLA It's gone so technically it's passible for an MOT or what? I don't want it done to find the car won't pass it's MOT in 2 years time also taxing is based on emissions, what to do? :)

Danny.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Regardless of what you tell the DVLA about engine mods the taxation class of your car will not change. they do not take info of individual cars into consideration. The class for your car is set by the factory and there is nothing you can do about it, this is why the factory bring out new models with slight changes to bring the co2 level down every few years.

Your car will pass an MOT without a DPF. I'm pretty sure the current MOT only checks for thick smoke on full throttle on a diesel car. If this changes it will only take effect on cars built after the date that the changes come in.

In short, go for it. it will be expensive but you will release a lot of power and torque by doing so.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Thanks for the prompt reply Nath :). Yeah, I've read that many people have seen a lot more power released :D and another big reason is the regeneration cycle as I do a fair bit of town driving. A company were offering it all in for £1k so it's something I will consider when I've saved those pennies. If anyone could reply who has had it done would be good to see their view on it. I always thought diesels were tested for the Co2 output regardless of the amount of soot that came out? I'm probably wrong but I'm sure that's what I was told.

Danny.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Thanks for the prompt reply Nath :). Yeah, I've read that many people have seen a lot more power released :D and another big reason is the regeneration cycle as I do a fair bit of town driving. A company were offering it all in for £1k so it's something I will consider when I've saved those pennies. If anyone could reply who has had it done would be good to see their view on it. I always thought diesels were tested for the Co2 output regardless of the amount of soot that came out? I'm probably wrong but I'm sure that's what I was told.

Danny.
Methinks the DPF doesn't reduce CO2 any way, it reduces particulates or (soot particles) by catching them and then releasing them back into the system when it is running nice and hot to burn them cleaner.

I'm sure there are mechanics or MOT testers on here to confirm this but I'm sure diesels don't have a co2 test on the MOT and they can have CATS and DPFS removed with no problems.

The CO2 from a diesel is so low compared to the equivalent petrol that they need not bother testing it.

I remember reading that they reckon you won't die from CO2 if you do the suicide thing with a hose pipe from the tail pipe into the window with a diesel engine. You will just suffocate from the soot instead.

Last edited: