Leon FR TDi USB port

crmpicco

May 2, 2012
Does anyone know the location of the USB port? I can't find a thing online about *where* to find it.

I have a 2008 Leon FR TDi.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I don't think the pre facelift Leons had a USB port, they either had an aux in the centre console, or an iPod dock under one of the front seats, can't remember if it was drivers or passengers side.

Deleted member 73808

upon reading the manuals when i picked my '57 fr tdi up i was excited to read there was a usb port in the storage locker under the passenger seat - after 10 mins trying to work out how to open the damn thing i got it open and found .... nothing, the inside of the box!

it may be there just don't ask how i got it open, because i still don't know and haven't tried since!

crmpicco

May 2, 2012
upon reading the manuals when i picked my '57 fr tdi up i was excited to read there was a usb port in the storage locker under the passenger seat - after 10 mins trying to work out how to open the damn thing i got it open and found .... nothing, the inside of the box!

it may be there just don't ask how i got it open, because i still don't know and haven't tried since!

The passenger's seat? I'm just going to go out and have a look and see if there is one there. I'm just back in after looking underneath the driver's seat (with a torch I may add) but couldn't see anything.

crmpicco

May 2, 2012
I don't think they have USB only AUX, my 07 or 08 plate has USB.

I've just had a look under the passenger's seat and there is a small storage area that opens up from the front, but there's nothing in there and no USB/iPod/iPhone dock. Is this where it is supposed to be? I've had a torch in and around the driver's and passenger's seat and cannot see any USB or iPhone/iPod connection.

Were they not on 2008 (58) FR models? I have the TDi (170bhp).

This would be gutting to find out that I have the car that doesn't have the connection. :cry:

Apr 15, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've just had a look under the passenger's seat and there is a small storage area that opens up from the front, but there's nothing in there and no USB/iPod/iPhone dock. Is this where it is supposed to be? I've had a torch in and around the driver's and passenger's seat and cannot see any USB or iPhone/iPod connection.

Were they not on 2008 (58) FR models? I have the TDi (170bhp).

This would be gutting to find out that I have the car that doesn't have the connection. :cry:
Thats where its supposed to be but I've never seen any car with them, both mines was FRs and like I say they didn't have them. They had the storage thing but was empty. Im thinking has its VAG I'm thinking its a similar book to the Golf so maybe they had them and the Leon didn't, I've had this issue before with other things and Seat told me some of the functions are not available on the leon. Dunno if its true, you know what dealers are like, one will give you advise and another will tell you its wrong.

crmpicco

May 2, 2012
Thats where its supposed to be but I've never seen any car with them, both mines was FRs and like I say they didn't have them. They had the storage thing but was empty. Im thinking has its VAG I'm thinking its a similar book to the Golf so maybe they had them and the Leon didn't, I've had this issue before with other things and Seat told me some of the functions are not available on the leon. Dunno if its true, you know what dealers are like, one will give you advise and another will tell you its wrong.

Very confusing. :confused:

The FAQ on this site for iPod connectivity says that it's under the driver's seat, but doesn't say that it's not on *all* models?

What age is your Leon?

crmpicco

May 2, 2012
Mine was an 07, then 08 now 10 plate soon to be 62 reg all have aux its only the 10 plate thats had the usb whice ive never used.

So I guess they're not on all models then?

Anyone else have a 2008 model with no USB?

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Pre-face lift FRs came with the Aux-in (headphone socket) as standard.

Options in leiu of the Aux-in were:
USB socket under the drivers seat, in a cubby hole
OR
Ipod connector

You can only have one of these so if you've got the Aux-in, you don't have the USB or the Ipod connector. These were paid for options so if the original owner of your car was too much of a cheapskate, then you're outta luck.

(As the person who spec'd his 58 plate FR TDI with every option under the sun except 18" wheels,sunroof and satnav....)

Last edited:

crmpicco

May 2, 2012
Pre-face lift FRs came with the Aux-in (headphone socket) as standard.

Options in leiu of the Aux-in were:
USB socket under the drivers seat, in a cubby hole
OR
Ipod connector

You can only have one of these so if you've got the Aux-in, you don't have the USB or the Ipod connector. These were paid for options so if the original owner of your car was too much of a cheapskate, then you're outta luck.

(As the person who spec'd his 58 plate FR TDI with every option under the sun except 18" wheels,sunroof and satnav....)

Yes, I definitely have the Aux-In and i've tested it out and it works :)

To be fair, the original "owner" of the car was a company based in Swindon so I don't blame them for not overloading on options like a USB connector for a company car that they just handed over to a salesman.

Do you happen to know if it is possible to have a USB port fitted to the car?

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I believe some members on here have had success with using Connects2 interfaces depending on whether you have steering wheel controls.

A less elegant, but cheaper solution is to just plug in one of those very cheap USB players via the audio jack. Song control is a bit more fiddly mind. Just don't plug your phone in, otherwise you run the risk of being done by the coppers for operating a handheld phone whilst driving.

st@rgixxer

GSXR Junkie!!!
Mar 27, 2010
Edinburgh
I've got the ipod connector that my choon box plugs into, but the controls from the head unit/steering wheel are pig awful.

johnp2

My leon 09 SE has a usb under the head unit behind the gear stick under a sliver slide
521f6af9-bfdd-522d.jpg

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Anyone know what the max memory size is for the USB stick and the SD card?

I don't want to buy a big one of each and find they won't work.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
My 2008 fr has the ipod dock under the drivers seat, but my fr has nav in it, my old fr only had a aux port in the centre trim, no usb port in the 2008 models :(
the manual says there is a usb port but never found one :)

jay87

May 4, 2007
im having this problem with my 2.0 tdi sport 06 right now, seat uk confirm the option was ticked for a usb under the seat, but I cant for the life of my find it! is there any pics anywhere? and also, would it be possible to rewire this to the facelift location under the stereo?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members