Advised I need timing belt done - do you agree with this? yes or no

Do I go ahead with the timing belt change based on the analysis?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jameze

Mar 9, 2008
Up Aberdeen Way
I have a garage that is new but I trust them due to a close friend recommending them to me.

So far all is well with them however when I was getting a minor service the garage advised me that they can hear a slapping sound when I turn off my car (like the sound of a loose timing chain aparently). They demonstrated this to me and got a call later that day advising me that my car doesnt use a chain but a belt.

So thats fine I asked right well at least it wont be so expensive.

My Question Is: If the analysis is that I need my timing belt done due to the slapping sound. Originally they thought it was a timing chain so If I dont have a timing chain what is the slapping sound when i turn off the engine and does it justify a timing belt/water pump change for £160 before labour.

It sounds like 3 little slaps the noise there going on about. Car is at 97k miles so I wanna be sure.

Surely its been changed before now and has some life left on it if they are about 60k a belt or is it less for leons?

Last edited:

Swanbon

Jun 24, 2017
Glasgow
If you don't know when the belt was last changed then I would get it changed for peace of mind, but maybe use someone else.

Jameze

Mar 9, 2008
Up Aberdeen Way
If you don't know when the belt was last changed then I would get it changed for peace of mind, but maybe use someone else.

I thought the same thing but I was hoping to know would you guys assume the slapping sound to be a reason to change the timing belt?

Thats my main issue. As far as I was lead to believe it was changed about 60k so its about 30k into the current one but then who knows if im being told the truth, I just really wanted an opinion about how they came to the conclusion I needed it done when I dont have a chain but a belt that wouldnt make a slapping sound.

I will prob it anyway just wanted to know if its a good enough reason as It seems fishy to me?!

Swanbon

Jun 24, 2017
Glasgow
Personally I'd need to hear it. Never heard of a slapping timing belt, slapping chain yes, but not a belt. Thinks it's 60k or 4 years, whichever is sooner.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
If the belt was loose enough to 'slap' it would have skipped a tooth or two by now

That's not to say it doesn't need doing. If its not in the history, get it done

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise