Radio code

1.4_Sport

Hi

New owner of a 1.4 Sport - great little car. The one thing I'm missing is the code for the radio. Should this have come with the car? I was told by my local dealer that SEATs no longer come with the code written anywhere 'for security reasons', which I find odd, particularly as the manual has a section in which to record the code!

They want £30+VAT to decode it, which involves connecting the car the their computer, which then gets the code direct from Germany. They said they don't even see the code, so I can't write it down... Very odd given that, in their view, EVERY time the battery is disconnected for maintenance or whatever, they want £30+VAT to decode...

SEAT UK said that dealerships are franchises and set their own rates, which I find fair, however I will now respond to them as I find it unreasonable to have to pay for a code that I think should have come with the car.

Any advice?

Cheers

Poverty

Mine came with my car. Its a 06 1.4 sport. If they dont budge in the end tell them to stick it and just buy a new headunit altogether.

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
that crazy them wanting to charge you!

is that scenario any different from a mobile phone company not giving you the PIN code to your new phone?

1.4_Sport

Hi all

It's a lease car, so not direct from SEAT as such but it's still a brand new car that I expect the code with. No dealership stickers so don't know who supplied it. Paragon Automotive is stamped in the delivery book, which has a SEAT logo but they don't appear to be dealers, according to SEAT.co.uk

Cheers

Jun 28, 2001
all you need is the serial number of the radio chassis and yes you do see the code its just immo codes you dont see! your car is under warranty???
so then it will be free

Pigeon142

May 20, 2007
Ok you should kick up a fuss but your contract is with the lease company so get them on the case also as contractually they are responsible for making sure the car they provide under their agreement is complete.

Good Luck

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
The car is new.
In the plastic folder that comes with the car you should have a manual for the car (the big one) and one for the radio (much smaller).
The code is recorded in the radio manual. :shrug:
Failing that the lease company have removed the info.
Go back to them first then if no go try Seat.

At the end of the day don't pay a penny.
PM me if you need more help. :)

Regards Guy.

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Yeh, it should be written in the bottom right-hand corner of the radio manual, on the first page. Unless the dealer is like mine and didn't write anything in, nor in the service book or owner manual to say I was the first owner. In fact not even a dealer stamp!

I'm taking the car along to the dealer this weekend so hopefully I should get the info then. Don't let them fob you off, I just haven't got round to it.

1.4_Sport

Thanks for all the replies

Unfortunately, the radio manual press-out card is blank - first place I checked

I've already pursued the lease company but will continue to do so. I will similarly pursue Seat themselves. Failing that I'll get the media involved, it's that silly! But I'm just being dramatic now...

Thing is, I'm just pre-empting the problem. The radio is working (albeit with a skipping CD player - a genuine possible warranty claim and an alternative way round this...). I have a bluetooth kit that I want to install, and I just know as soon as I disconnect the battery, I'll need the code.

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
Thing is, I'm just pre-empting the problem. The radio is working (albeit with a skipping CD player - a genuine possible warranty claim and an alternative way round this...).
You didn't say that before!

I have a bluetooth kit that I want to install, and I just know as soon as I disconnect the battery, I'll need the code.
Give more details re the bluetooth kit! :rolleyes:
Perhaps you don't have to disconnect the battery?

Regards Guy.

1.4_Sport

It's a Parrot CK3000, and has a harness that sits between the ISO connectors for both speakers AND power, ie I have to disconnect the radio from the battery

Just read Auto Express (they have a used car guide for the Mk4 Ibiza) and oddly enough they mention a common problem with CD players! It's sad that, if I get no joy from SEAT or the lease company, I'll have to resort to putting in a claim for a new radio! It skips (as in plays as though on fast-forward) on burnt CD-Rs ocasionally, but to my surprise it also does this on a few known-good originals too

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Mine used to do this - you had to keep the CD's really clean and scratch free else it would skip - particularly annoying on mp3 discs as the noise a skipped mp3 disc makes is nasty!

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
Well i picke dmy beeza up on saturday just gone and the code is on the inside page of the owners manual.

dont take no Sh!t off the dealer.

Pigeon142

May 20, 2007
Dont bother with the media yet send a pre court letter giving the lease company 28 days to get the code for you to the top dog and chances are they will do it within days as not worth going to court over!

arjnoro

Try what my dealer in Mexico told me (no charge) try under the ashtray. take the ashtray out , or under the radio, it might be on a decal placed to the bottom of the ashtray. Then turn the radio on (car off, no key in the ignition) After an hour the display will go from SAFE to 1000. Then you input your code (mine is 0777) then you press the SCAN button and presto! Notice you don't press the TYP button like it says in the manual. Good Luck!!!

Deleted member 19188

The Blaupunkt in the DAB edition doesn't have a code, it has a little coded SD card that you have to stick in the SD slot to get it to work. I suppose if you lose that though you're scr*wed!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.