Ibiza Cupra TDI Review

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
I've been thinking about doing this for a while now, and I think I've had the car enough to have a balanced opinion. So, as I never seem to write any prose anymore, I decided to give writing a proper review a go. I'm not too concerned about the ownership experience, the driving is the interesting bit! Let me know if you agree or disagree, diesel Cupra owners! :ban:

From the outside, the Ibiza is an attractive design and is ageing quite well. The Cupra treatment is quite subtle, especially in black like my car. The only things that really mark it out to the general public from lesser Ibizas are the attractive 17” alloy wheels, the red SEAT Sport brake calipers and the ‘Cupra’ lettering along the boot. This subtlety is no bad thing. Not everyone wants to drive round in something so clearly designed by marketing men as the Mini Cooper S or the new Corsa VXR and this seems to suit the Ibiza. Would anyone buy a diesel hot hatch to scream look-at-me?

The huge doors close with a nice, VW thunk and, once ensconced on the comfy, if not overly supportive, Cupra branded seats, the subtle theme continues in the interior. Whilst the exterior of the car feels like an exercise in tasteful restraint, you can’t help but feel that SEAT just couldn’t be bothered with the inside. Being fair, it’s not as if the Cupra was going to get a bespoke interior from the rest of the Ibiza range; there’s a lot of dark, cheap plastic, but the requisite white dials, aluminum pedals and red stitching fail to lift the interior into an exciting place to be. It’s just not the most inspirational interior. Still, it’s functional, spacious front and rear (providing those in the front aren’t too tall) and most things are clearly laid out. Time to turn the key.

It sounds like a tractor. The engine clatters and rattles into life, reminding you rather forcefully that, yes, you are in diesel. Not the most promising of starts for a car with sporting intentions, but is it the noise that it makes what matters most, or how it drives?

First gear is rather short, it’s only really for moving off in. Changing into second by an accurate, if slightly long shift-action gives you chance to see if a diesel hot hatch can move. If it’s wet, prepare for the traction control light to flicker quickly as you depress the throttle to the floor. As the revs build, the agricultural noise is replaced by a harder, gruffer and generally angrier exhaust note. As the turbo spools up at around 2,000 rpm, the car really does surge forward with the giant-hand-behind-the-car feeling that only turbo diesels seem to possess. The Cupra is certainly quick; zero to sixty times are a meaningless benchmark, it’s much more useful to be strapped into the passenger seat as the driver dispenses with slower moving traffic at a frightening rate. Overtaking opportunities seem to reveal themselves more frequently in the diesel Cupra than you might be used to. It isn’t the fastest thing out there in a straight line, but any full-throttle maneuver that requires minimal gear changes is certainly where the Cupra shines.

It’s good on the motorway too. Cruising at around 80 mph in sixth, the Ibiza is reasonably refined, with only road noise and wind noise off the wing mirrors intruding on the adequate stereo. It’s also economical; motorway speeds can yield nearly 50 mpg if you’re careful, and thrashing it across B-roads will still see a highly respectable 36 mpg. However, it’s whilst attacking those B-roads where the Cupra’s biggest weakness begins to show.

The handling is good. There’s some body roll, but the levels of grip from the Pirellis is impressive; you have to be really leaden with the throttle to get the Cupra to understeer. Sadly, oversteer doesn’t seem to be available without dangerous provocation and the ride is hard if you fail to spot a slightly sunken grid in time. Safe handling and a torquey engine mean that when you’re trying to get somewhere quickly, the Cupra will do just fine. It’s when you want to be involved when the problems start. The engine redlines somewhere around 5,000 rpm; I don’t know exactly where because there’s no point continuing after 4,000 rpm as the engine has given all it’s going to. This leaves a very narrow power band; although this might be handy for dispensing with real agricultural machinery, it just isn’t much fun. Banging up and down the six speed box feels like a rather back-to-front affair. In a petrol hot hatch, you scream to the redline, change, and keep on screaming off into the horizon. In the diesel Cupra, the surge of torque, the tail off of power and the slightly limp gear change just don’t make for an inspiring steer. Oh yes, it is quick and will not be easily embarrassed amongst it’s petrol rivals, but as an involving drive for driving’s sake, it’s hard to argue in favour of the little Ibiza.

Still, the motorway cruising, the economy and the ground covering ability do make for a compelling case. If you’re looking for out and out thrills however, I’d look elsewhere.

Dec 5, 2007
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
Had my 130 for just over a week and i would agree with that. Very nice write up. I used to have a saxo vtr and i know what you mean about being involved even though my saxo was slower. I think like you have said it is brilliant for motorway cruising i would have it any day over my saxo.

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
Yes i would agree with that also. Changing gear a lot springs to mind in these cars springs to mind. At first riding the torque is fun but after a year of ownership its starting to wear thin. problem with these engines is that theres too much torque when exiting bends causing the chassis to get out of shape and it all becomes a bit ragged. I'd probably argue in favour of the petrol cupra to get the true hot hatch feeling. Don't get me wrong the derv certainly isn't slow and 50 - 70 times can embarass the petrols, the whole package just isn't that much fun. I've bought coilies but nah it still ain't quite there. My old clio 16 valve would still embarass my sport rond the twisties:p

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
Cars are not going to get better to drive - only worse, with all the safety features they have above & beyond what old Saxo & Clios used to have.

I write that as an ex Saxo VTS & VTR owner too. Yes they were more involving to drive but the modern diesel is by far & away the better car.

If you want 'involving performance' try a motorbike....;)

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
Cars are not going to get better to drive - only worse, with all the safety features they have above & beyond what old Saxo & Clios used to have.

I write that as an ex Saxo VTS & VTR owner too. Yes they were more involving to drive but the modern diesel is by far & away the better car.

If you want 'involving performance' try a motorbike....;)

I reckon that you can have your cake and eat it. There's no doubting the Cupra is the better all-round car from the French Kit-Kat wrappers of old, but in my opinion you can get more exciting cars and retain all the comfort for similar money.

driescuit

i have and luckally found the understeer issue: kw suspension+ strutbrace. Also helping the oversteer: crappy pzero at the rear and excellent dunlop spsport at the front

Mcupra

Mr sensible
May 27, 2009
Sheffield, UK
I found the cupra TDI fast or is it just me? Dont think its much different from the petrol and the mpg on foot to metal surely isnt 36,37 as i've heard much higher figures.

As an ex owner you must know more but you put me off abit, i almost feel like you've made the cupra TDI look slow and run out of steam after awhile :(

Proff_CUPRA 180

Jun 12, 2008
West Midlands
I found the cupra TDI fast or is it just me? Dont think its much different from the petrol and the mpg on foot to metal surely isnt 36,37 as i've heard much higher figures.

As an ex owner you must know more but you put me off abit, i almost feel like you've made the cupra TDI look slow and run out of steam after awhile :(

Get a Petrol Cupra, you know you want too ;)

gus

Jun 27, 2006
the tdi is the way forward with petrol prices going sky high soon, it all depands on your style of driving.... if you wana really put your foot down all the time petrol is the one but the tdi has so much more torque and around towm and motorway driving the tdi, u will only need to use the power and torque where the power is,,, and no need to floor it always.... both are very nice in tehre own different situations...... if it was me i would buy the tdi cupra... as i already have the tdi sport.. at the mo..

the choice is yours.........................

Proff_CUPRA 180

Jun 12, 2008
West Midlands
To me though part of the buz is ragging the car, upto the redline, the long gearing on the petrol makes it better IMO, especially on A and B roads, petrol is the winner, Motorway driving Diesel is better.

gus

Jun 27, 2006
yeah bang on on the motorway its amazing always hitting 60mpg and so easy to take over, on the a roads its fun too as mine is remapped.. if petrol was cheaper i would def have a petrol one by now!!!!

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
great review and very helpful for anyone thinking of buying any mk4 ibiza really,reading through it i find myself agreeing with virtually everything you say and most of it applies to my remapped 130 sport:)

Mcupra

Mr sensible
May 27, 2009
Sheffield, UK
Just the final 2 test drives on saturday then im making my choice. I want more power no matter what choice i make as this saxo has had its day!

rob_pd160

love my cupra tdi, faster than my mates golf gti 1.8t anniversary (same engine as petrol cupra?) and does 50mpg. handles better than my old astra coupe, and probably on par with my 182, really surprised me as i bought it as a sensible car to save a bit of money up!

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Yes i would agree with that also. Changing gear a lot springs to mind in these cars springs to mind. At first riding the torque is fun but after a year of ownership its starting to wear thin. problem with these engines is that theres too much torque when exiting bends causing the chassis to get out of shape and it all becomes a bit ragged. I'd probably argue in favour of the petrol cupra to get the true hot hatch feeling. Don't get me wrong the derv certainly isn't slow and 50 - 70 times can embarass the petrols, the whole package just isn't that much fun. I've bought coilies but nah it still ain't quite there. My old clio 16 valve would still embarass my sport rond the twisties:p

I agree with the OP's and your comments from when I had my FR. It was a great all rounder, but just left me feeling a bit 'cool' when on the twisties.

I agree with you in particular about the torque delivery - the 1.9 units really seem to deliver a punch of torque at around 2000rpm - fun at first, but it can become tiring.

The new 2.0 engines are a lot better in this respect, but the short rev range still takes a lot of the excitement away.

If only I could afford to run a petrol with my mileage! :(