Flashing (Amber) Glow-Plug (Engine Workshop!) warning light

Kilimanjaro

Aug 4, 2011
Just writing to seek advice. My vehicle is a late 2005 model with 1.9tdi ASZ engine and I have owned it since new. I use it a few times a year to do long trips to Europe/Scotland etc and have done 46000 miles. Last night (on my way from York) I felt the vehicle hesitate briefly then a coiled yellow symbol lit up and started intermittent flashing; there was also a message 'Engine Workshop' appeared on the display panel on the dashboard. I thought the vehicle started running a little rough thereafter but I cant say for certain, the warning(s) did not go off. Does anyone know if there is something known to be the likely cause?

Would purchasing a VAG scanner be recommended? I was thinking of this one; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321951727385 (I sadly have little faith in some of the workshops around). Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate. I know that on the leon and ibiza models a flashing glow plug light usually means that you have a brake light fault, either just a bulb out or the pedal switch not working. Are your brake lights all working ok?

If so then as you say best thing to do is to get yourself a code reader or see if someone near you has VCDS/vagcom.

Last edited:

Kilimanjaro

Aug 4, 2011
Thank you mty 12345, I have just checked...both brake lights are not lighting up...kinda suggests more the switch than both bulbs to go at the same time. Are the switches known to give trouble? I'll see if I can get a genuine one from somewhere.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah they do fail now and again mate, i've replaced mine on the leon before. Eurocarparts or gsf usually sell them, or at least they do for the leon anyway. They usually take about 20 mins to fit.

I've looked it up for you on elsawin and it seems there are 2 possible types on your car. A square one and a round one. Ive attached a diagram of both for you below, as well as one for removing the lower panel if needed.

Square or rectangle bodied switch:

To remove it you turn 90degrees to the left. Then to refit,

rectangular_zps4dgisurx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Round bodied switch:

To remove you turn 45 degrees to the left, then to refit:

round_zps1phnu8uo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lower dash panel removal if needed for access.

lower%20dash%20_zpsgvgm78m2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Kilimanjaro

Aug 4, 2011
Update

Thank you ever so much Matty. It was a piece of cake (using your diagrams) to remove and replace the brake light switch. Everything seems OK now. My next trip in the car will to Paris in late Feb but I am confident there will be no recurrence. I wonder if a dealership would have tried to charge me much more than the £13 it cost to buy a new genuine switch and the ten minutes it took to replace it. Thanks again!

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
You're welcome mate. Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that you got it sorted. I'm sure the dealers would have charged you to read the fault code, then £30 for the switch and then at least 1/2 hour labour to fit it, so you did ok for £13 :) Enjoy your trip to paris.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise