Removing Steering Wheel

StokieShinobi

Cupra R Potter
Hi all

Did a search could only find a few posts on Leon MK2's

Had my tracking corrected but now the steering wheel is out of alignment. I need to take it off and move it one spline

Ive looked at taking the airbag off but it doesnt seem to have any screws

Can anyone guide me on taking the wheel off and what the best way to do it is

Cheers
Andy

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Keys in the ignition, disconnect battery, donot sit in front of the steering wheel!

Turn the wheel 90 degrees, reach behind the steering wheel with a flathead screwdriver and feel for a round hole. Inside this hole is a clip you need to flick to disconnect one side of the airbag. Turn the wheel back 180 degrees and repeat on the other side.

Now carefully remove the airbag, it has a yellow electrical connector clip which you need to undo before it will come free. Be very careful with the airbag because it could still go off.

You then need an M12 spline drive to undo 1 big nut and your away, airbag just clips back into place.

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
They can, and should do the tracking with the steering wheel centred. I'd take it back and complain. (Those airbag clips are an absolute b*****d to get off!!!)

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
You cant move the wheel one spline, there is a central locating spline which centres the wheel.

Are you sure? I seem to remember that I had to be careful to keep the wheel centred when I removed mine so that I didn't bugger it up.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Yeah there is definitely one larger spline that lines up and locates the wheel in one possition, i have removed it quite a few time now as i had problems with the esp and it was the steering wheel sensor.

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
can anyone give any hints on how to get these clips off?

just had a mirror and numerous flat blades in there and cannot for the life of me get the clips off - why couldnt they have just used screws :(

Hi can you help me with some instructions on how to release the clips? I jammed all sorts of things in there but cant find the damn clips or seem to release the buggers.

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
turn the wheel so that one of the holes is on top, facing into the instrument pannel. stick in a flat head screw driver as far as you can. then lift it up twords the roof slowly while pulling out the air bag with your free hand. it should pop out on that side. then turn the wheel 180' and do the same on the other side. hth

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
turn the wheel so that one of the holes is on top, facing into the instrument pannel. stick in a flat head screw driver as far as you can. then lift it up twords the roof slowly while pulling out the air bag with your free hand. it should pop out on that side. then turn the wheel 180' and do the same on the other side. hth

Tried that and still wasn't able to get the airbag released.

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
just stay poking around the hole with the screwdriver. make sure the blade is flat __ like that. you just need to get it in on the clip. keep the handle of the screwdriver down on the stearing coloum.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Picked up a new wheel (well, second hand but less worn than mine) yesterday, with a spare airbag. I'm going to get it changed some time soon but I've never done anything like this. Read through everything so far and I think I understand what I'm doing (and should be able to practice with the airbag clips with the new one I'm sure) but the "M12 Spline Drive" is a new one on me. Is this what I need:

3140.jpg

If so then I'll need to borrow/buy one as I'm pretty sure I have nothing like that myself. Is it something that has any other use on the car? If so then I may buy one, otherwise will just see if I can borrow one.

Cheers all

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Yes thats what you need, its really straight forward, disconect the battery undo the nut then unplug anything that you need to to remove the wheel then do reverse to put on. Thats after you have fiddled around fot two weeks trying to undo the air bag clips.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise