Changing rear brake pads guide

MichalR

Sep 2, 2006
Bromley, London
Here is a quick guide about changing rear brake pads on my 1.4 Ibiza Sport. The process should be similar for most Ibizas with disc brakes.

1. Undo the wheel nuts

2. Jack the car up making sure it is stable, place axle stands underneath the rear axel.

3. Take the wheel off

4. Undo the two bolts using a 15mm spanner to hold a nut and a 13mm spanner to unscrew the bolt and take it out
DSC00063.jpg

and the bottom

DSC00062.jpg

5. The caliper should now be free. It may need a bit of encouraging to take off so use a rubber mallet or a block of wood and a hammer to push caliper off of the brake pads. You may also use a lever to help push the caliper off.

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

6. Take the pads away from the disc

7. Clean up brake disc and caliper

8. Unscrew the top to the brake fluid reservoir

9. Twist back the piston into the cylinder. This process is easy with a wind back tool purchased from your local motor factors

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

10. Now that the piston has been moved back, apply some Coppa Slip to the backs of the brake pads to stop any brake squeal occurring

DSC00078.jpg

11. Place the brake pad against the disc, friction side towards the disc

DSC00080.jpg

12. Put the caliper over the two pads making sure the springs (if you have them) are pressed against the back of the caliper

DSC00081.jpg

MichalR

Sep 2, 2006
Bromley, London
13. Maneuver the caliper into its correct place so you can insert the bolts

14. Screw in the bolts making sure they fit in and you do not cross-thread the bolts

15. Tighten the bolts using a 13mm and 15mm spanner

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

16. Screw the cap back on the brake fluid reservoir

17. Before lowering the car, pump the brake pedal to regain pedal pressure. At first it will feel extremely floppy…but that is normal

18. Put the wheel back on

19. Remove axel stands

20. Lower the car

Hope that helps :D

From start to finish it took me 20mins per side

Dont think i have forgotten anything major :lol:

Good luck:)

MichalR

Sep 2, 2006
Bromley, London
Cheers matey

Not sure of the torque setting as i did it spanner tight...crude i know but it has never let me down before :lol:

Just one more thing to add...you may want to put a bit of Loctite on the bolt before screwing it back into the caliper.

Michal

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Is there much more work in changing the disks? As mine need doing and it seems pretty easy, also is there anywhere else I should applie copper slip other than the back of the pads?

MichalR

Sep 2, 2006
Bromley, London
Is there much more work in changing the disks? As mine need doing and it seems pretty easy, also is there anywhere else I should applie copper slip other than the back of the pads?

Nope...its quite simple...to take the disc off you will need to remove the whole of the caliper and undo the philips retaining screw and from what i remember the disc should just come off...it may need a few taps with a hammer tho.

Just apply some copper slip to the backs of the pads...you may want to put some Loctite on the bolts that hold the caliper in place although its not necessary.

Cheers

tdi sport

Apr 13, 2008
just done mine today with the help of ur guide thanks the only thing i had a problem with was the 15mm spanner it is tight to get in so you might wanna consider getting a narrow headed one or just grind a standared one down a mm or two also in the set i got with the pads there were four new clips and four newbolts so i didnt have to use any of the old parts 63 euro from the dealer do but worth it i think

ChrisBowe82

Can't see the pics because I'm at work, but I did the rear discs and pads on a 52 polo the other day, i think they're the same, so can confirm the guide is spot on!

If anyone has some good advice for taking the phillips retaining screw out of the disc I'd love to hear it. wouldnt move!! Had to drill the thing out in the end after a liberal dosing of wd40 on the screw and some encouragement with the 'tickling stick' still wouldn't budge

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
^^^^^an impact driver is your friend in that situation

can anyone that has done the front pads answer a question as I'm doing my bro's front pads on his 130 sport very soon

do you need any special tools, like on the old fords that needed a 7mm allen key (a size that doesn't seem to exsist in a normal took kit) :lol:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2007
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
Good guide i'm going to use this at the weekend!

The part i don't understand ( noob ) is the cap for the brake fluid..what cap? Is it the one in the engine bay? My dad said something about you unscrew the little nipple when pushing the piston back in then tighten it when it's in?

Also do the brakes need bled when renewing the pads?

Cheers

MichalR

Sep 2, 2006
Bromley, London
Good guide i'm going to use this at the weekend!

The part i don't understand ( noob ) is the cap for the brake fluid..what cap? Is it the one in the engine bay? My dad said something about you unscrew the little nipple when pushing the piston back in then tighten it when it's in?

Also do the brakes need bled when renewing the pads?

Cheers

You only unscrew the nipple on the side of the caliper when bleeding the brakes, when you push the piston back you want to unscrew the cap to let any pressure out (air or brake fluid). You can bleed the brakes when changing the pads as its only a quick job but not that necessary if the pedal feels good.

I think my front pads will need changing after christmas so ill do another guide then...tbh they are much easier than the rears as you wont need a wind back tool.

Cheers

Michal

number2

I have been told that the handbrake needs adjusting when changing the rear pads, if you dont then you end up with to much handbrake lever movement. The mechanic that checked my car out said to move the little levers on the back of the calipers and they work on a ratchet type system. Im afraid i know no more than this so i hope someone else has encountered this on a VAG car and can enlighten us all on how to adjust it properly. My H.B. went from 5-6 clicks to 2 or 3, much better!

ianmarcho

If you don't have the tool!

I've got to say this is a very well explained post. However if you don't have the wind back tool and don't want to spend out on something you may only use once!

I have managed to wind the piston back using a simple small pipewrench on the edges of the exposed piston. Probably possible with a grip type adjustable too. You must take care not to catch the rubber boot, especially as it gets further back into the caliper but it is relatively easy. I had to persevere with one side as I kept winding but without the pressure which the tool will provide it was reluctant to start winding in. However with perseverence I did manage to wind both back ok.

One other point to mention. Once you have the pads out, take the extra time to lift out the small stainless steel spring clips which the pads slide on as they wear. There is nearly always a build up of rust under them on the steel caliper. Use a large screwdriver to scrape the worst away then wire brush and re-install them. It will make it easier to install the new pads as there is slightly more room! Every little helps.

driescuit

guys like you make my life a lot more comfertable, so thanks, thanks a lot