Knocking from N/S Front on when driven over drain covers or bumps

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
It's not a Seat, but the same as a Leon Mk1.

My Mk 4 Golf 1.8t has a knocking noise from the front N/S when the front N/S wheel goes over drain covers, small bumps etc.

It has 1 month old Koni STR T suspension (uprated dampers and -35mm springs) and I've tried the following:

New top mounts and bearings.

New anti-roll bar mount bushes.

The clearnance between the anti-roll bar and driveshafts is around 60mm. These definately have not hit each other, even the dirt on both components is unmarked.

I removed both anti-roll bar drop links, made sure the anti-roll bar was not able to knock and tested it, but the knocking was still the same, so it is not anti-roll bar related.

New lower ball joint.

New track rod complete with track rod end.

New Audi TT rear bushes for the front wishbones. (Front bushes are showing no signs of damage.

Checked every bolt related to suspension and steering is tight - all are fine.

Removed dog bone mount and checked this is ok (I fitted powerflex bushes last year).

Checked tighteness of the N/S gearbox mount bolts which are accessible with the airbox removed.

All CV joint gaitors are good, and the the backlash in the drivshafts is normal.

I cannot feel any play in the wheel bearing.

The exhaust is clear of all bodywork etc, and all mounts are in good condition including the centre one which I've seen broken on a few of these now.

All bodywork in this area appeas as new - I cannot find any broken spot welds or other damage.

The next thing I will try is swapping the front struts left to right to see if the knocking is strut related. The O/S is perfectly silent, even when driving over rough ground.

So, what have I missed? I have spent a lot of time (and money) trying to locate the cause of this, but I cannot find a thing wrong.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
you will get knocks until your springs settl;e fully mate, i.e 2 weeks ish.

witht the knocking above check the springs are seated properly.

also sounds daft mate, check all your wheel bolts are tight, these make a horrific knocking noise when coming loose

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
Bolts are checked. but this knocking noise is Hugely loud and very very worrying on mine. its going to the garage tomorrow so they can have a listen.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if its started recently have you thought about changing back temporarily to the std suspension ?

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
see what the garage say tomorrow, and ill post up in here. could give ideas to the thread ive just hijacked.

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
James TDI, check the lower part of each front strut is clamped tightly in the hub. A tell tail sign of this being loose is the bottom of the front stut dropping too low and rubbing on the CV gaitor. If the strut is not clamped tight it will move up and down making a banging noise. Also check to make sure the damper inserts (if they are inserts on your kit) are tightly clamped within the strut.

Right back to my issue.

Decided to rebuild the N/S strut last night, and could find nothing wrong.

The damper works exactly as it should, the spring isn't hitting anything.

I'm out of ideas now.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
just one to check, if there fairly cheap coilovers ie jamex etc, then the sturt sits in a sleve, which has a screw cap ontop, if this cap undoes which it does do, did it on mine, then the strut moves upand down in the sleeve making an horrible mettalic knock, all you do is tighten this bit up, but the spring has to come off

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
I've finally sorted it. A few months ago I fitted new genuine top mount bearings. Last week I re-fiited an original one from my car - no difference, but I did notice both had 1mm horizontal play. At the weekend I fitted another old top mount bearing which had far less play, and it is now nice and quiet.

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
I don't think it is related to the cheep coilovers, as one of the three bearings I tried had only been used on std suspension.

Mine is now on Koni suspension by the way.

valley

Sep 25, 2009
Did this get sorted in the end?? I have the same issue but with standard suspension. New top mounts and bearings and shocks.....Wierd

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
It resolved the issue with mine. The new top mount bearing was replaced with an old one removed from my dads Golf, and all is well 2 years later.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.