Clutch Issues!

jay.ing

Red Blur (And soot!)
Nov 17, 2007
Southport, Merseyside
Ive got an 06' Ibiza 130PD and recently when the engine/gearbox is hot im struggling to get it into 1st or reverse gear unless i rev past 2000RPM, its as if the clutch isn't fully engaged!? at the same time i develop a second biting point thats just off the floor!!!??? anyone any idea what it could be? It is intermittent too making things a little more confusing! [:@]

basssound

May 31, 2007
Rotherham, South Yorkshire!
Sounds like you've got air in the circuit!
Is there any signs of oil around the top of the gearbox, around the slave cynlinder, around the master sylinder ect...?
You need to have the system bled again at a competent garage, this will loose all the air, lift the pedal to about half way biting point and make for sexy gear changes ;)

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Got the same thing with my Leon 150FR! Its really intermitent and normally lasts a day when it happens. Its always 1st and reverse that I notice it.
Sometimes I will be sitting there with the clutch in while in first waiting to pull away and I can feel the clutch biting even though the clutch is to the floor.

I had the car into the stealers under warranty but they were useless. Had the clutch/brake fluid changed a month ago and thats made no difference either.

When it happens I double clutch and that seems to let me get the car into gear. Curiously I sometimes get a clutch squeal as well (it sounds like brake squeal) when I pull away I haven't figured out what causes these so if you do find the solution on your car please let me know.

Cheers

SP

d_cook88

zιℓ∂נιαη - ρℓαу ωιтн ƒιяє
Aug 28, 2007
Preston
Just had my clutch changed and i find that only in 1st that it gets jammed in gear and sounds like you lot describe...i have to lift my foot up then back down agen to get car out of gear...in traffic i have to keep foot on brake when its like that or else its trying to move me, is that what its like for you others? no idea what my problem is..sometimes hard to get it in to reverse but its more this thing in 1st thats annoying me....any sugestions?

Dave

dirtysac

Mar 2, 2008
Yorkshire
what mods have got?

I would say that you have one of three things. but without knowing what you have done I can#t say

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
If you think you have air in the system there is a bleed nipple on the clutch oil line. Just carefully unscrew the nipple to let out the air then tighten again. You might need to do this a few times as it is a bit of a crap system as the bleed nipple isn`t up high enough so the air still gets trapped in the system. The bleed nipple is on the black pipe with a rubber cap just to the left of the gear shift mechanism.
qshift.jpg

jay.ing

Red Blur (And soot!)
Nov 17, 2007
Southport, Merseyside
UPDATE: Would you believe it my problem was caused because of wrong oil in my gearbox! There's a Technical update been released for it at SEAT. While they were doin that they also fould that my DM Flywheel was out of 'specification' as they call it and ive got a new one, my car feels so much better now! :)

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Thought I'd put an update in as well!

After changing the clutch/brake fluid on my Leon it was still playing up, but after a few hundred miles the clutch was fine and has been Ok for the last 3000 miles.
I guess there was a tiny bit of the old contaminated fluid in still in the system after the fluid change and after use this has now dispersed.

SP

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Got exactly the same issues with my Ibzai Cupra TDI. (57)

Difficult to get in reverse but once in It's a pain to get out, however once out of reverse I really struggle to get it back into any other gear even after pumping the clutch pedal a few times. I have to leave it in neutral for a while then can usually gently sneak it into first.

Dealers couldn't find the problem as it was fine that day. P!ssing me off how it trys to drive away while in 1st gear with my foot down on the clutch!!!

I need to ring the dealer tomorrow as they were sending a report to Seat HQ to see if they have anything like this on record.

I might give that clutch bleeding a go though, seems simple enough and quite likely the cause of the problem. I know mine is remapped but the clutch is not slipping, it's the opposite IMO, bites far too early.

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Tried this tonight (twice) and don't think it's help my problem. Car feels a little smoother when changing gear but the gears still jam up once reverse is used. If i rev the engine it free's up and will change gear :headhurt:

Time to change car's if this doesn't get fixed ASAP as it's now seriously peeing me off! [:@]

If you think you have air in the system there is a bleed nipple on the clutch oil line. Just carefully unscrew the nipple to let out the air then tighten again. You might need to do this a few times as it is a bit of a crap system as the bleed nipple isn`t up high enough so the air still gets trapped in the system. The bleed nipple is on the black pipe with a rubber cap just to the left of the gear shift mechanism.
qshift.jpg

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Had a call from my dealer today saying Seat HQ had got back to them with a technical note on the issues I've been having.

It has to go in on Tuesday for 2/3 days to have the gearbox removed and stripped to identify the cause of the problem. They wouldn't say a great deal about what exactly it could be. At least it's been taking seriously now.

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Well got my car back after being in for 4 days and it's fixed. Actually drives and feels better than it ever has. No more dodgy kangooring it always did when cold. Feels better when going through the gears and no longer shows any signs of jamming up. Reverse is also much easier to select.

Apparently they stripped the box down and the original diagnose of a faulty part was wrong. However Seat HQ recommended a different gearbox oil be used and revised gear selector settings. I'm now happy with the car again! :)

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
Does anyone know what oil it is they've said to put in. have you got a spec or a part number. im about to take my gearbox out this weekend to change the release bearing and i don't want to end up with the problems you lads have had.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.