Ibiza Fr 115

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Hi guys.

Just Joined as I am picking my new Ibiza FR 115 in Mystery Blue up the week after next. I have a few questions that I am hoping people might be able to advise me on.

1. WHat headlight bulbs do I need for the FR? I want to upgrade to better bulbs, probably the Osram Nightbreaker Lasers. Also how easy are they to change? With my existing Fiesta Zetec S I need to take the full head light unit out (actually not that difficult).

What about the fog/cornering lights? Same question what bulbs and how easy to change?

Really looking forward to getting the car, Had 3 Fiestas so looking forward to a change and this car looks stunning and well equipped.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
There are three different types of headlights. From the manual:

Halogen headlights
Dipped beam headlights = H7 Long Life
Main beam headlights = H7
Side light/DRL (daytime running light) = W21W
Turn signal = PY 21W

Halogen headlight with LED DRL
Dipped beam headlights = H7 Long Life
Main beam headlights = H7
Turn signal = PY 21W
Side light/DRL (daytime running light) LED

Full-LED main headlights
No bulbs may be replaced. All functions are with LEDs.
In case of a LED failure, go to an authorised workshop to
have it replaced.

I think fog lights type is missing in the manual, at least I couldn't find it.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys.

Couple of questions?

DigiMagic - Whats the difference between H7's and H7 Long Life? My last car had H7's for the dipped and H1s for the main beam.

nokiauk - Is your wifes car the new Ibiza? Can you access the bulbs easily from behind the light unit or do you need to remove the Light unit like the Fiesta?

Thanks again

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Yes it’s the new Ibiza Xcellence all I had to do was lift the hood, behind each cluster there is a black backing plate which unclips the you have easy access to the bulbs. I only changed the H7 dipped as these would be the most frequently used. I fitted Osram Nightbreakers which are def better than standard.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Yes it’s the new Ibiza Xcellence all I had to do was lift the hood, behind each cluster there is a black backing plate which unclips the you have easy access to the bulbs. I only changed the H7 dipped as these would be the most frequently used. I fitted Osram Nightbreakers which are def better than standard.

Thanks for your help. I am intending on using the new Osram Nightbreaker Lasers, Previously used Nightbreaker Unlimited which were amazing. The standard bulbs are just rubbish in comparison.

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
Whats the difference between H7's and H7 Long Life? My last car had H7's for the dipped and H1s for the main beam.

My understanding is - someone with more knowledge please correct me - Long Life gives out 5-10% less light, but lasts 2-3 times longer. The longer life is achieved by the bulbs having a thicker glowing wire, and/or the wire having somewhat higher resistance and therefore glowing at lower temperature.

The amount of light produced must be always reasonably close, because there are limits defined by standards and laws.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The long life headlight bulbs on my old Toledo were like candles - way worse then just 5-10% less.

Praise be for the Full LED lights on the new one.

Last edited:

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
So I'm baffled by how you can effectively have the same bulb for both dipped and full beams. Surely the full beam would need to have a higher output than dipped?

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
So my aim is to put high quality and output bulbs is. Can I put the same nightbreaker H7 bulbs into both dipped and full beam? My current car has h7 as dipped and h1 inthibknas full

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Ok sorry for being stupid but if I put the same bulb into both donthey not both light up the same?

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
Yes - this can be seen in specifications for a specific bulb, for example Osram ultra life H7 gives out 1500 lumens, +- 10%. It will be same 1500 lm for both dipped and main beam (obviously, shaped differently by the headlight optical assemblies). The expected lifespan is 1500 hours. Most "long life" bulbs are similar.

For comparison, Osram night breaker laser and unlimited, have the same 1500 lm, and expected lifespan of 250 h. (It does seem a bit low, but that's what their document says. :shrug:) The heated element is smaller (hence the shorter lifespan), so the beam can be better focused by the optics, so there is less light lost to the sides where it isn't needed and to the optics. So it manages to be indeed somewhat brighter, even with the same lumens.

The "non-long life" bulbs are typically somewhere in between those two.

Truly more brighter would be for example Osram super bright premium 62261SBP bulb: 1950 lm. No lifetime is given in their datasheet; that's probably just an omission and doesn't mean anything. However do notice that this bulb is "Only approved for off-road use. Any use on public road traffic leads to cancellation of vehicle operating licence and loss of insurance cover. No ECE approval".

I do not advise for/against Osram or any other brand, it was just that google search found them and they've had easily accessible technical documentation.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Yes - this can be seen in specifications for a specific bulb, for example Osram ultra life H7 gives out 1500 lumens, +- 10%. It will be same 1500 lm for both dipped and main beam (obviously, shaped differently by the headlight optical assemblies). The expected lifespan is 1500 hours. Most "long life" bulbs are similar.

For comparison, Osram night breaker laser and unlimited, have the same 1500 lm, and expected lifespan of 250 h. (It does seem a bit low, but that's what their document says. :shrug:) The heated element is smaller (hence the shorter lifespan), so the beam can be better focused by the optics, so there is less light lost to the sides where it isn't needed and to the optics. So it manages to be indeed somewhat brighter, even with the same lumens.

The "non-long life" bulbs are typically somewhere in between those two.

Truly more brighter would be for example Osram super bright premium 62261SBP bulb: 1950 lm. No lifetime is given in their datasheet; that's probably just an omission and doesn't mean anything. However do notice that this bulb is "Only approved for off-road use. Any use on public road traffic leads to cancellation of vehicle operating licence and loss of insurance cover. No ECE approval".

I do not advise for/against Osram or any other brand, it was just that google search found them and they've had easily accessible technical documentation.

Ok so basically a long life bulb is the same as a normal one appart from having a bigger element which makes the light "spread out" more, this makes it appear duller?

The reason I want to change the bulbs to the nightbreakers as they are whiter and noticibly brighter then standard bulbs. I take from all this that I can use 2 sets of nightbreakers and they will give me the benefit I am after? Though still not understanding if I put the same bulb into both the dipped and full beam then when I turn on full beam is it not just going to be the same as dipped?

Thanks again

Last edited:

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
Yes; I'm thinking of doing the same... (still one month to wait until I get my Ibiza...) Dipped and full beam will be the "same" regarding total amount of light that they output - 1500 lm - but other than that they'll work fine and as usual, as they are shaped by the optics. Full beam will still appear to be brighter, because it is more concentrated. For example - I'm making up the numbers - at say 10 m distance in front of the car, dipped beam may be spread out to illuminate say 10 meters squared; those would have average brightness of 1500/10 = 150 lux. Full beam, being concentrated to go further, may be spread out to say only 5 m squared, therefore apparently being 1500/5 = 300 lux bright, so twice as bright. This is actually still quite simplified, as we are ignoring color temperature, spectrum, non-linearity and persistence of human eye, ... but shall be good enough approximation.

Short summary: it will work and it will work fine. :)

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Cool see the Philips in Amazon for £19 a pair so will probably order them. Usually replace the yellow indicator bulbs with silver ones but thinking of going led. Do you need cambus for this car?

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Yes; I'm thinking of doing the same... (still one month to wait until I get my Ibiza...) Dipped and full beam will be the "same" regarding total amount of light that they output - 1500 lm - but other than that they'll work fine and as usual, as they are shaped by the optics. Full beam will still appear to be brighter, because it is more concentrated. For example - I'm making up the numbers - at say 10 m distance in front of the car, dipped beam may be spread out to illuminate say 10 meters squared; those would have average brightness of 1500/10 = 150 lux. Full beam, being concentrated to go further, may be spread out to say only 5 m squared, therefore apparently being 1500/5 = 300 lux bright, so twice as bright. This is actually still quite simplified, as we are ignoring color temperature, spectrum, non-linearity and persistence of human eye, ... but shall be good enough approximation.

Short summary: it will work and it will work fine. :)
You're not a Physics Professor by any chance? :think:

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
No, a software developer for Windows, Linux and embedded systems; and I wrote some patents where light was involved. I did wish to become a physicist (maybe even work at CERN one day, discover new theories and particles...), but I've realized I just wasn't good enough for that.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.