Shells ShAlhambra

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
oil and filter tonight

done a 112666 miles

used my PELA Pump and then removed the sump nut to check I had all the oil and fied a new sump nut

worked a treat no more removing oil via sump for the Sharan either

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
[:@]Failed to change the mount today as the nut was completly siezed to the strut[:@]

completely gutted when we started to work on the car to find the cup on top of the macpherson strut was full of water - must have been a ford design :ban:

what a stupid location also
Image1445.jpg

here is the cup which we filled with releasing oil

Image1444.jpg

to make things worst still the 7mm allen key does not fit due to corrosion in the strut managed to get a 6mm in but I know it will not hold

Rant over - for now still need to sort this - any recomendations if the releasing oil fails

was thinking of cutting away the top cup (9) and replacing the leg :help:

Front_suspensionsharan.jpg

just got this on FGOC

need to drop the suspension/hub unit out. Club supporters have acces to a How2 to how to do it, and the advise is soak the top mount in WD40 for at least a week before hand!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
hi there, i have recentley experianced this problem myself, if you cannot get the nut to undo with either the aid of some wd40 or an eqvilent or some heat if you have the equipment to do this you will struggle, the nut was that tight on the vehicle i did, i had to make cuts in the upper securing plate(the one just under the nut that secures the leg to the car) and collapse that plate allowing me to remove the leg from the car. once off due to the extent of the rust around the nut and thread of the shocker had to replace the whole strut and upper bearing assembly, the leg, upper bearing assembly and coil spring were available non genuine at a cost of around £140 with vat, the upper plate that i had to cut cost £8.50 from my local vw agent, hope this helps

had this reply

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
quick update

Thermostat we think has stuck open as car does not warm up forat least 30 mins when driven normally (faster if I push it hard)

car has just gone over 115000 miles still strong - so happy

still looking for wheels

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
Thanks DPJ

need to see about getting some parts from TPS thinking new top nut and cup

411100.png

7M0412319A cup
N 90353603 nut

looking at this diagram am I correct in thinking I dont need to remove the spring to change the top mount?