Non starting Inca

Seat mechanic

Hi guys,

Am new at this. Have recently brought a inca 1.9D and am having starting problems. This looks like the place to come so thought I would give it a try :) I would really appreciate any feedback you may have on this.

Seat Inca 1.9D 1Y not starting... Has full tank and new starter motor.
Engine turns free but won't fire up.

I have checked the fuel pump relay - ok
Am having trouble finding information on this vehicle over the net.

Have cracked off fuel pipe at injectors and am not getting fuel...
Is there a fuel cut off solenoid on the injection pump? Could this be it?

And does the injection pump suck fuel from the tank or is it pumped to the injection pump?

Had a look in the fuel tank at what I thought was a electric fuel pump but only seems to be a fuel level sensor in there.

What do you guys think about this?

Thank you I look forward to speaking with you further

Seat mechanic

Hi guys,

Am new at this. Have recently brought a inca 1.9D and am having starting problems. This looks like the place to come so thought I would give it a try :) I would really appreciate any feedback you may have on this.

Seat Inca 1.9D 1Y not starting... Has full tank and new starter motor.
Engine turns free but won't fire up.

I have checked the fuel pump relay - ok
Am having trouble finding information on this vehicle over the net.

Have cracked off fuel pipe at injectors and am not getting fuel...
Is there a fuel cut off solenoid on the injection pump? Could this be it?

And does the injection pump suck fuel from the tank or is it pumped to the injection pump?

Had a look in the fuel tank at what I thought was a electric fuel pump but only seems to be a fuel level sensor in there.

What do you guys think about this?

Thank you I look forward to speaking with you further

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
fuel cut off valve is fitted to top of fuel pump to the rear just above the injector pipes
check to see if you have a 12v feed to this when ignition on
if not change relay 109

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The 1Y is quite an old engine. I had similar engine in a Mk.2 Ibiza, and the Haynes Ibiza manual (3571) covers it.

There is no separate lift pump in the tank, the injection pump sucks fuel through the filter.

Seat mechanic

Is the fuel cut of valve the small black box with the wiring at the rear of the injector pump? Or is it the connection on the banjo bolt right at the top? This seems to be part of the return line..

Can not find a 109 relay on this vehicle. Could it be numbered somethng else or be in nother place other than under the seerring wheel in the fuse/relay compartment?

And have got the 3571 manual for the Ibiza. Not much help I'm afraid does not have a lot to do with the 1y engine. A lot of the information is for another engine :(

If I do have a 12 volt feed at the cut of solenoid, is there anything else I can check? Or could it be an injection pump problem?

Thanks for your help so far guys, am struggling with this one big time!

Cheers speak soon :)

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
cut off valve

the cut off valve is located at the back of pump
its fitted vertical and has a 8mm nut on the connector
this should have a 12volt feed to this on ignition and cranking

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The fuel cut off valve sits just above the point where the four injector pipes leave the pump, and at right angles to them - pointing straight up, as towcester vag says. It should have a single wire going to it.

Relay 109 is the Terminal 30 Voltage supply relay, which as far as I recall is the one that shuts off extraneous items when you turn the starter.

This old thread shows you where it should be located. the "109" is a code for the relay's pinout and functions: you will often find more than one "53" in a car, for instance.

Seat mechanic

hi all

there is no sort of valve sitting vertical on this pump, the only things near where the injector pipes leave the pump are a small black box with two wires comeing out or right at the top sitting horizontal is some kind of solinoid with a single yellow wire going to it.

this is obvoiusly a different pump to what you guys have in mind and is different to the Haynes manual i have also.

I have taken a picture of the pump but can not work out how to load it up. this could make life a lot easier.

once we do locate the fuel cut of valve how do i know if its at fault?
and if i locate the 109 relay and it seems to be working when you turn the key on does this mean its working fine?

thanks for your help

barneyy

seat Inca won't start at all

Hi guys :) I have a seat Inca 1.9d 2001plate.
I ran low on diesel yesterday and the van died.
I filled it up with a fuel can, but nothing. I noticed there was air in the fuel line.
I cracked one of the lines before the injectors, and turned it over until diesel was spitting out. But it still won't start. I got
It started twice by towing it, but each time took a couple of attempts.
I left the van running on my drive and turned it off after an hour.
I tried starting it on the key but I won't happen.

Please please please tell me someone has an idea.. Many thanks

Barney

barneyy

Thanks for the reply
Do I have to crack all the injectors before turning it over? I have tried it as well with jump leads so don't think it's that. Im not sure if there is vac in tank? How would I check that

Many thanks barney

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
shouldn't be necessary but under the circumstances I would check all especially no' 3 (it has a sensor) re: vac after running just open the filler cap before trying to restart where are you someone with vag- com might help

Seat inca

Jan 7, 2017
Ireland, Co. Cork
I have a Seat Inca 1.9 SDI, 2004 and ignition switch faulty. Do I have to remove whole steering column to replace ignition, looks like a tough job and dreading it?:confused:

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
I have a Seat Inca 1.9 SDI, 2004 and ignition switch faulty. Do I have to remove whole steering column to replace ignition, looks like a tough job and dreading it?:confused:

no you shouldn't but you will need to remove the shroud 'round the column to get at the "works" depends what's up----the actual electrical part of the switch is fixed to the lock barrel and should be removable if you need the whole lot off (i'e: key/lock) trouble you will have to remove the two shear bolts drill or tiny cold chisel and hammer to start and replace with ordinary bolts unless your lucky and someone has been in there before you if it's just the electical part you may get away with opening it up and a good cleanout and lube the old grease turns to coke and can short and even smoke keep us posted:)

Seat inca

Jan 7, 2017
Ireland, Co. Cork
Problem starting van, everything else ok and working and has to be ignition switch. Never removed one, seen it done and any tips on the matter? Where is it located, all I can see is a barrel attached to steering column and wires connected to back of it. No hole, for release key or does it detach at back of barrel? Thanks so far, for info and may torch the bloody van yet?:cry:

Seat inca

Jan 7, 2017
Ireland, Co. Cork
Had this problem recently, had to replace fuel lines to injectors after pump. As they had gone brittle and started to leak fuel, some had corners missing from their ends and letting in air and I put in a non return valve on clear pipe coming into pump. No problems since, well so far and now ignition switch knackered.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
from memory the electrical part is held in by a small allen screw and should come off without moving the reast of the switch/lock I suspect they are a common vw part so try a scrappers if it won't mend

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise