Aura fix

ayatollah

Jun 14, 2006
Fermanagh, N. Ireland
I've had a problem with the Aura stereo in my Mk 2 Toledo for several months. The buttons would not respond and the radio would start beeping and default to one particular station or to the CD player. I rang several dealers about an exchange and finally was quoted £270 + vat for an exchange unit.
So I took the radio apart and using a linen cloth with WD40 on it I cleaned the printed circuit board on the top (couldn't get it off so the bottom wasn't cleaned). I also pressed the white/grey connectors to the front of the radio to make sure they were fully seated. It's now working fine again. Hope this helps.
David

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Good man. I had had ongoing problems with the radio going into search mode and flicking around stations even when the CD was playing. Having read this I did the same. I also took the front panel off and first used alcohol on some cotton buds and then a bit of WD40 to clean all the button contact points (needed to buy a precision screw driver to get the front panel off). But so far it's worked. Hopefully means I'm not going to have to buy a second hand unit. I've read a few others had this problem so it's well worth a try. Perhaps even worth a sticky in the ICE section?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
There are screws. Once the unit was out I prized out all the tabs of the front panel and thought that was it but it wouldn't budge. Then realised there are two tiny screws one in the centre each side. I needed to buy a precision screwdriver to do the job, but it was sorted. Great fix though (touch wood mines still OK too) - fortunately I had missed winning a bid for a replacement unit on ebay before I saw your post!

ayatollah

Jun 14, 2006
Fermanagh, N. Ireland
Hi GrayT.
Aura has started misbehaving again. Took it apart, cleaned it , took the front panel off and cleaned it also - still not working. I'm convinced there is a simple remedy to the problem- possibly a break in a circuit on the PCB that could be soldered.
If only there was some way of finding out what it is. At this stage the people at Seat or Grundig must know, given it's such a common problem. Any ideas?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Sorry mate, only just picked this up. Shame it's gone again - especially as you and I had such similar problems and they both seemed to get sorted. I felt it was to do with one or more of the contacts behind the front panel sticking down or perhaps having a build up of dirt in there. So far so good with me - but I definately came across some posts from others with the same problem. Don't really know what else to suggest. :confused: I used some alcohol to penetrate and clean right into the button contacts but I don't have the technical knowledge to take it any further.

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
Mine went dodgy from having the likes of macdonalds drinks in the cup holder and the condensation used to drip onto the radio buttons. I did the face off and clean job and it sorted now

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.